PDA

View Full Version : 16v small port high idle

KAYE70
17th May 2012, 09:28 PM
Hey all. My mate has a ae86 with small port 4age.
Both of us are pretty new to these motors. I have a carby set up. But on his efi one it has a problem of high idle. And im talking 2500 rpm all the time

Everynow and then it will idle around 2100 rpm and sometimes hunts between 1000-2000rpm.

Idle screw is wound all the way down from previous owner. So technically speaking it shouldnt idle? Or if so would be almost dying.

Any ideas on what out problem is? Throttle back stop is not to far adjusted.

Ive been told idle control vaulve. Is there a way to fix it if that is the cause or just replace?

dying3k
17th May 2012, 09:37 PM
vacume leak, smoke machene, or spray carby cleaner/brake cleaner around the intanke mani, until you here a exhaust note difference

Nikkojoe
17th May 2012, 09:37 PM
I always ask this when people ask about this problem, but have the water lines been set up to the throttle body? if not it means your cold start idle up will always be open. If it hasn't been connected, unbolt the cold start idle up under the throttle body and either plate it off or place a piece of thick gasket paper to block it.

Also this has been posted many times, search next time;)

dying3k
17th May 2012, 09:42 PM
thought that was RWD bigport mani's???

KAYE70
17th May 2012, 10:18 PM
vacume leak, smoke machene, or spray carby cleaner/brake cleaner around the intanke mani, until you here a exhaust note difference

Dont think its a leak. Have tried wat you said no luck there

KAYE70
17th May 2012, 10:19 PM
I always ask this when people ask about this problem, but have the water lines been set up to the throttle body? if not it means your cold start idle up will always be open. If it hasn't been connected, unbolt the cold start idle up under the throttle body and either plate it off or place a piece of thick gasket paper to block it.

Also this has been posted many times, search next time;)

Okay will try that tomorrow.

Thanks for your help.

And yeah sorry i dont get on here much to have time to search stuff lately. Been heaps busy so was a quick post

timbo
17th May 2012, 10:26 PM
1- Take off intake pipe at throttle body.
2- Find the bigger of two holes on the bottom of the throttle body.
3- Place finger over bigger hole.
4- If you feel suction your idle will drop and you know that the cold start idle up is flogged.
5- Win.

I think this should be put somewhere for future reference. As nikkojoe said it has come up quite often and seems to be a reoccurring problem for 4AGE's, especially smallports (I have the same issue with my SP).

Nikkojoe
18th May 2012, 11:51 AM
I think it's more people being miss informed when converting a fwd to rwd or being slack and not doing it right(as in not connecting the same way as factory). I think some people believe that when you remove certain aspects of the setup it will all work the same... ;)

timbo
18th May 2012, 02:03 PM
Haha true, very true.

KAYE70
19th May 2012, 08:41 AM
1- Take off intake pipe at throttle body.
2- Find the bigger of two holes on the bottom of the throttle body.
3- Place finger over bigger hole.
4- If you feel suction your idle will drop and you know that the cold start idle up is flogged.
5- Win.

I think this should be put somewhere for future reference. As nikkojoe said it has come up quite often and seems to be a reoccurring problem for 4AGE's, especially smallports (I have the same issue with my SP).

Yep its flogged. Thanks for your help

KAYE70
19th May 2012, 08:42 AM
I think it's more people being miss informed when converting a fwd to rwd or being slack and not doing it right(as in not connecting the same way as factory). I think some people believe that when you remove certain aspects of the setup it will all work the same... ;)

Just so you know we didnt do the conversion

dove grey 64
19th May 2012, 09:32 AM
welcome to the fun of fixing up previous loose ends from other peoples conversions. i too am struggling with a previous conversion that the past owner decided cold start was not needed and have a high idle.

Nikkojoe
20th May 2012, 12:51 AM
Yep its flogged. Thanks for your help

Just so you know, tim's list also will show the same result if the coolant lines have never been connected, or there is an air lock/blockage in the water lines to the throttle body.

KAYE70
20th May 2012, 06:23 PM
Just so you know, tim's list also will show the same result if the coolant lines have never been connected, or there is an air lock/blockage in the water lines to the throttle body.

Hoses are fine. No blockages at all or air lock. Hes changing to itb's so that will get rid of the problem :)