PDA

View Full Version : How close do you sit?

Dave
7th June 2009, 05:29 PM
hey guys thought i'd throw this out there but how close do you sit when you drive? what are the advantages and disadvantages for sitting closer or further (obviously this will depend on the individual). Hope this all makes sense or if someone wants to make a better template feel free to do so.

Height: 5"10
Car: AE71
Steering wheel: 260mm Nardi classic
Boss kit: HKB 25mm?
Seat: stock
Distance to steering/gear input: closer, enough so that my arms dont feel tired

Pros: arm is abit more relax, less effort
Cons: reach to pedals abit more cramp, although still able to heel-toe.

Extra Comments: maybe longer boss kit so i can reach the steering wheel & at the same time provide more space for my legs

MINIHORSE
7th June 2009, 05:56 PM
Height 6'3"
Have really long legs, to i run the seat as far back as possible, bear in mind its a fixed back on a super low rail, at this distance i can operate pedals and gear stick perfectly, ecxept i cant reach the wheel SO, i run a 40mm dished wheel, Nardi long boss, 20mm nardi spacer and a detatchable hub, this provides amazing comfort with my set up,

Next idea is to weld a longer gear stick onto my TRD short shift, so the gear stick is essentially closer to the steering wheel

ke_70
7th June 2009, 05:58 PM
bang up som pics of the setup 2

Fusion
7th June 2009, 06:06 PM
I'm about 6'4". Long legs, long arms.
AE71
I can gearshift and rest my arm on the center console lid at the same time.
If I was to get a good driving position I would need custom rails to go back further.
My head hits the roof in the car if I sit up properly and its kind of hard to heal toe with a size 14US shoe :D

marvis
7th June 2009, 06:07 PM
I'll get a picture sometime.

Konakid
7th June 2009, 06:15 PM
Take out the front seat and sit in the back, like a true gangster.

Fusion
7th June 2009, 06:16 PM
I wonder what the cops would say . . . . .

Axentrik
7th June 2009, 06:38 PM
as far forward as possible as im a midget.

KKUSTOM
7th June 2009, 06:39 PM
Take out the front seat and sit in the back, like a true gangster.

lol :hehe::thumbup:

Vance
7th June 2009, 07:06 PM
depends on what im driving. if its the cressida then pretty far back. if its an ae86 then i sit at about 100 degress slant and close enough to be able to double clutch with no issues which is pretty bloody close

ae71neo
7th June 2009, 08:19 PM
As far as the seat goes back.

yoshimitsu9
7th June 2009, 08:42 PM
im 6ft tall and have the seat as far back as it will go, i have stupidly long legs and arms so it would be perfect for me if the seat would go back an extra notch or 2 but as far as arms go its absolutely perfect for me. gear nob isnt too far away (even if i shortened the gear knob it wouldnt be too much of an inconveinience) and running an ae82 twin cam steering wheel its absolutely perfect distance for my arms with the added bonus of it being the right distance to rest my arm on the door card sill and steering wheel

squish_m8
9th June 2009, 04:55 PM
i'm not that tall but in most cars I tend to move the seat right back for cruising comfort...

dunga70
9th June 2009, 06:37 PM
im about 6ft tall long legs and arms. got a sparco sprint seat, very low mounted. my ass sometimes hits the bar that is welded onto the rail i got a just jap deep dish wheel seat is 1 notch from all the way back perfect for heal toe. i can rest my rist on the gear know and play with the fuleh siiiicckkkk system. however i wouldnt mind my seat more vertical. its probably about 110 degrees.. - just a guess. my head never touched the headrest unless i see the red and blues flashing behind

blair
9th June 2009, 06:42 PM
yeh im short as hell, but even sitting so close to reach the pedals i still struggle with my arm-reach. so i have a 140mm boss, and a detatchable D1 thingo (extra ~70mm).

i liiiike :)

Sturgey
9th June 2009, 07:33 PM
Height: 6"3
Car: AE71 pano
Steering wheel: 270mm luisi Griphon
Boss kit: HKB 25mm
Seat: stock
Distance to steering/gear input: i use the wrist on top of steering wheel trick :)

Pros: perfect distance
Cons: nothing

Intense
9th June 2009, 08:32 PM
Height: 6 foot
Car: Ae86
Steering Wheel: 0 offset Personal 350mm
Boss Kit: 105mm HKB boss kit + 40mm spacer
Seat: Bride Ergo 1 on MO rails

I sit so that I can hold my wrists over the wheel, wheel's adjusted all the way up. Unfortunately this cramps up my legs and makes it harder to heel toe, so I'm going to sell the wheel and grab a Luisi Mirage +75mm offset very very soon. This will let me sit further back and still have good control of the wheel, as well as lean further back in the seat so it supports me laterally better. Failing that I'll just get another seat.

Javal
9th June 2009, 08:52 PM
Height: 6'3"
Car: XT130
Steering wheel: AE82 Twincam
Boss kit: None, although the twinky wheel has a bit of a built in boss.
Seat: MA61
Distance to steering/gear input: Seat is about half way through the travel of the rial
Pros: Excellent position
Cons: My seat mounting is dodgy, a teeny bit askew. Should probably fix that.

Extra Comments: Because i have the extra adjustments on the MA61 seat, i have the front of the base tipped all the way upward, making it a bit more buckety, and moving the rail position forward a bit, so my hands are closer, but not too close.

Also, MA61 seats get the win for a close to bolt in seat. Heavier, but so much adjustment.

xero
10th June 2009, 10:21 AM
HEIGHT: 6'3"
CAR: AE86
STEERING WHEEL: nardi deep corn
BOSS KIT: HKB 110mm??
SEAT: fixed back on bride rails

seats as far back as it goes and and practically on the floor. i have shorter legs and longer arms. so the pedals are just a bee's franger to far with out shoes, and pretty much perfect with shoes. steering is exactly the right position for me.. only ghaids part is it its kinda hard to find a decent seat i fit into properly.

sundee
11th June 2009, 07:51 PM
Height: 5'7"
Car: Ke70
Steering wheel: 260mm Nardi classic
Boss kit: 100mm boss + 30mm spacer + D1 Quick release (60mm)
Seat: Bride Vios III
Distance to steering/gear input: close enough so i can push the clutch to the floor comfortably, seat angled at about 30'.. steering wheel sits nice so i have relaxed arms, nice shifting position

Pros: its good for me.. seat is super low
Cons: cant even see my bonnet, indicator is quite a reach hehe

Extra Comments: its got an 86 steering column, its about 30mm longer then the 70

yoshimitsu9
11th June 2009, 08:09 PM
Height: 6'3"
Car: XT130
Steering wheel: AE82 Twincam
Boss kit: None, although the twinky wheel has a bit of a built in boss.
Seat: MA61
Distance to steering/gear input: Seat is about half way through the travel of the rial
Pros: Excellent position
Cons: My seat mounting is dodgy, a teeny bit askew. Should probably fix that.

Extra Comments: Because i have the extra adjustments on the MA61 seat, i have the front of the base tipped all the way upward, making it a bit more buckety, and moving the rail position forward a bit, so my hands are closer, but not too close.

Also, MA61 seats get the win for a close to bolt in seat. Heavier, but so much adjustment.

i so want mz10 soarer seats which are quite buckety and uber comfy too which also should be the same bolt pattern for the rails as ma61 (same chassis) but they would be too high wouldnt they? (me being 6ft tall)

shadow_bunny
15th June 2009, 12:11 AM
Height: 5' 7''
Car: AE86
Steering wheel: SR5 2 spokes pointing downwards....?
Boss kit: none
Seat: SR5 standard, with lumbar support and adjustable knee height :sunnies:
Distance to steering/gears: about 1/4 of the rails to the front(so my arms can be bent and relaxed)
Pros: Awesome feel of control, can see the corners of my hood, can rest arm on window, can reach every instrument, knob and dial, people in the back seat are comfortable, one-handed driving is easy...other stuff...
Cons:Feet are resting past the pedals, so my knees are bent at all time, also, if I were to try do drive without moving my hands on the steering wheel(that 9-3 never let go and cross your wrists shit) eventually my elbows hit my ribs. I still use the 9-3 steering wheel position, but i adjust my hands for the corners.. as for the knees bent thing, for highway cruising i just lay farther back, with my left leg bent up and relaxed and the right one stretched out regulating the throttle.

driving positions, high tech shit lol jk