PDA

View Full Version : Installing AE86 struts & brakes to AE71

slipn
12th June 2012, 12:11 AM
I have recently purchased AE86 Struts, brakes, hubs and lower control arms.

I want to install them into my AE71 and just want to know how difficult this is and what I should be aware of?
Everything looks simple except for the brake calipers? I have never removed and installed calipers before.

Should I replace the wheel bearings before installing the hubs?
Is there anything else I should have checked out or replaced by an expert before doing this?
Also should I get a wheel alignment after the install?

Thanks for any help :))

s13 james
12th June 2012, 12:52 AM
its simple youll be right,when u take a wheel off you will see exactly what u have to undo in order to remove strut,control arms ,brakes,new bearings are good to start fresh, get the disks machined up if abit messy and lipped up and wheel alignment is good idea,hubs need to be off in order to tap out wheel bearings,to remove old ones i just used a old braker bar put it through the center hole in bearing and with hammer bashed it out turn over and repeat,to install you have to take ur time,get a socket the same diameter as bearing so it touches the outer steel ring and tap in making sure to hit in square or youll damage shit,a press or something would be ideal

Moebius
12th June 2012, 05:06 AM
When I did this on my ae71 I had to get new brake lines as the fittings between the hard lines on the car and the lines from the calipers didn't match.

blake.
12th June 2012, 07:37 AM
Didn't match? You sure you put on ae86 ones on then?

slipn
12th June 2012, 07:39 AM
Where is the best place to get Brake lines from?
Do I need to ger AE86 ones?

blake.
12th June 2012, 08:14 AM
Your ke70 ones will work. I used em when I put my ae86 ones in

slipn
13th June 2012, 01:34 PM
But can you buy them from a parts store?
i would prefer to just replace them

AJPS
13th June 2012, 02:12 PM
i have adr approved braided lines in stock

anastasios
13th June 2012, 02:19 PM
I just did this in my 71. Use the 71 strut tops on your struts as you will not lose castor. (is this only ke70? correct me if im wrong)

get a torque wrench and download an ae86 manual and torque bolts correctly.

use ae86 brake lines as they are bigger and have the correct female fitting on the end to go into the ae86 caliper. (hmmm well i did use jdm calipers, not sure if adm is the same)

instead of using a socket to do wheel bearings i just use the old bearing and a sledge.

also are your springs captive? if not ziptie them to the spring perch

Moebius
14th June 2012, 04:54 AM
Didn't match? You sure you put on ae86 ones on then?

Pretty sure ;) It's a good excuse to get braided lines anyway. Got mine from ajps.

willa
14th June 2012, 08:14 AM
Did you get ae86 steering arms as well? As the 86 struts wont fit onto your e7 seering arms.

Will.