PDA

View Full Version : Diff moving under accel/decel! Help!

mattyj
20th June 2012, 10:07 PM
Gday,
well driving my car home this arvo and I noticed the rear end was feeling rather "loose" for lack of a better description. Basically what's happening is under acceleration or load, the car seems to want to drive itself left. As soon as I close the throttle, the back end feels like it moves, sending the car to the right. I jacked up the car and the bushes for the top linkages from the diff to chassis are basically gone. Would this cause this sensation of the diff moving left to right, or sending the front of the car left and right under load?

Any help would be great!

Matt

JDM-086
21st June 2012, 12:27 AM
if your bushings are gone, it would be a very good idea replacing them regardless of it was the sole reason for your "loose" diff. Although i'm pretty sure they are definitely not helping the situation. I would suggest getting Super Pro urethane bushings for the upper and lower trailing arms and i'd say if your budget will allow it get yourself an aftermarket adjustable panhard rod (i'm almost certain every aftermarket panhard will have at least urethane bushings). Whiteline isn't a bad choice however i don't know if they are on car adjustable, not a huge issue but to some people it is... i get mine aligned at a suspension place so i don't care...

Matt
21st June 2012, 08:06 AM
Hit up dave from ajps for good bush pricing...

And yeah they'd not be helping your cause..

FoldKing86
21st June 2012, 11:09 AM
Gday,
well driving my car home this arvo and I noticed the rear end was feeling rather "loose" for lack of a better description. Basically what's happening is under acceleration or load, the car seems to want to drive itself left. As soon as I close the throttle, the back end feels like it moves, sending the car to the right. I jacked up the car and the bushes for the top linkages from the diff to chassis are basically gone. Would this cause this sensation of the diff moving left to right, or sending the front of the car left and right under load?

Any help would be great!

Matt

The AE86 is a typical 5 link arrangement on the diff.

The panhard stops left the right movement with the body trying to keep the diff centered to the body its called crabbing i think it the diff isnt centered, the upper arms are mainly for the diff pinion angle under load and the lowers are mainly for the left to right twisting, also for the center distance between front and rear wheels.

With busted upper bushes i would think the diff pinion would be floating up and down and extra forces feed thru the diff into the lower arms causing your diff twist.

As mentioned replace all the bush's, then come back and thank us :thumbup:

AJPS
21st June 2012, 12:49 PM
Hit up dave from ajps for good bush pricing...

And yeah they'd not be helping your cause..

Thanks for the shout out matt, you have pm OP

yeah the bushes, and diff backlash (can feel like it)

check all your bolts while youre under there

johl
21st June 2012, 01:07 PM
trailing arms are notoriously famous for being a pain to remove for the first time. don't be surprised if it takes a little longer than it looks. a big hammer usually helps

timbo
22nd June 2012, 12:46 PM
trailing arms are notoriously famous for being a pain to remove for the first time. don't be surprised if it takes a little longer than it looks. a big hammer usually helps

I can sympathise with this post, I can guarantee it will take some time. If you go for adjustable trailing arms make sure you do them up tight, I had a set on my car before I bought it and they obviously hadn't been tightened properly as the diff ended up clunking and crabbing as the arms killed themselves.

JDM-086
22nd June 2012, 02:49 PM
impact gun... win!