PDA

View Full Version : 4age oil cooler kit

Ktas
15th July 2012, 06:03 PM
hey all,

whats a good oil cooler kit for 4age? relocated filter or not?

cheers

Matt
15th July 2012, 08:09 PM
If you want a reply to this put in a little more effort in your question.

Use, na or turbo etc

If na use the stock one from and ae92 / 101 or none. If turbo then the list is endless.

Ktas
15th July 2012, 09:38 PM
it was a fairly open ended question cause im still not 100% sure on whether im gonna stay n/a or boosted

sorry man

Matt
15th July 2012, 10:35 PM
Its important to make sure you have good quality fittings and fire sleeve on the kit too... earls fittings are awesome, but will leave your wallet very light and you will want something with a thermostat.

benzo
16th July 2012, 12:00 AM
honestly I think on an naturally aspirated motor an oil-cooler is just as necessary, if not more so than on a turbocharged motor. significantly more time will be spent in the upper limits of the rev range

save yourself some $$ don't worry about filter relocation if staying N/A. the factory filter position isn't hard to reach and it's not hard to do some sort of heat shield

ideally I'd be doing this, not all that expensive:
-quality European/US core (Serck/Earls)
-Earls braided hose + AN fittings. I don't care what anyone says, Earls fittings are superior
-GReddy thermostat sandwich plate via Streeter

Gunner
16th July 2012, 12:27 AM
For the record earls, is an Australian company.

timbo
16th July 2012, 11:09 AM
For the record earls, is an Australian company.

I did not know this, cheers Gunner!

I think everyone has covered it, but you can still setup one on the cheap like I did which works perfectly fine. HOWEVER! One of those Grex sandwich plates with a thermostat is the way to go.

Matt
16th July 2012, 11:46 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMzPHV6wZi0

What happens when your oil cooler setup leaks 3:50 for the impatient....

s13 james
16th July 2012, 12:08 PM
fuck that haha

timbo
17th July 2012, 08:26 AM
Haha jesus. Makes me wonder about my mechanical line in the dash...

Gunner
17th July 2012, 08:47 AM
Nothing like having a mech. Oil gauge rupture in the cabin to get your blood burning.

blake.
17th July 2012, 09:47 AM
What are people's opinions of running the thermostat type of cooler?

I am not a fan. As when I am revving the nuts of my 4a I want the oil to stay in the engine, rather then pumped through a cooler.

I much rather the ae92 one, which is pressure regulated, therefor when normal driving it pumps through, and when thrashing it retains the oil in the motor.

AJPS
17th July 2012, 04:01 PM
dont beams use the same sandwich plate and filter?

timbo
17th July 2012, 07:15 PM
What are people's opinions of running the thermostat type of cooler?

I am not a fan. As when I am revving the nuts of my 4a I want the oil to stay in the engine, rather then pumped through a cooler.

I much rather the ae92 one, which is pressure regulated, therefor when normal driving it pumps through, and when thrashing it retains the oil in the motor.

This is what I'm using. The only downside I can think is cooling cold oil on start up. I have never got the oil above 95~100degrees at the drags and sits about 80degrees with normal highway driving. I used a VT commonwhore cooler and bump up the oil to 4litres, around another 500mL.