PDA

View Full Version : Slack in drivetrain

Tom86
25th July 2012, 02:18 PM
Hey everyone,

My ae86 has this annoying loose/slack somewhere in the drivetrain e.g when driving along at more than 3000 rpm and suddenly lift off the power I get this clunk like there is a slack/play somewhere in the drivetrain I can feel the slack more in 1-3rd gear less in 4-5th. It only happens on deceleration not acceleration. At first I thought it was the pinion backlash or worn uni joint in the tailshalf they all checked out fine there is not much play in any of them. The bushes in the rear upper and lower arms is also ok. Don't know where to go from here could it be the gearbox? can gearbox have backlash issues?

Thanks

Tom

timbo
25th July 2012, 06:52 PM
Gearbox?

Also I have a TRD 2way LSD which is clunkish and chatters if you blip the throttle but apparently 2ways are just noisy.

shift_rook
25th July 2012, 06:56 PM
box mount? first thought was diff but that's been checked. I wouldn't think gearboxes would have backlash issues like this, though i could be wrong.

Jimmee1990
25th July 2012, 07:48 PM
Gears can wear over time, if the diff has all been checked I don't see what else it could be. How many km's are on the box?

dove grey 64
25th July 2012, 07:57 PM
tps, my car does a similar thing

Rice86
25th July 2012, 08:58 PM
mine happens from the 2way lsd sometimes, normal i guess.. also happened on an open S diff when i drove it way to hard it use to clunk the one wheel rofl..

Tom86
26th July 2012, 06:27 PM
Gearbox is in good condition but don't know how many kms it has done but no problem shifting and feels tight etc. but it has been opened at some point by previous owner as it have a TRD close ratio gearset in it. As for LSD I do have a TRD 2way in it maybe that is the cause does 2 way LSD normally behave this way? seems to only happen when I stab the throttle and let go but feels fine accelerating and upshift.

timbo
27th July 2012, 08:11 AM
Yeah, if you slap it/blip it or whatever, a quick tap on the throttle will do this as it locks up the diff. It locks under acceleration and braking.

killabeez_1985
27th July 2012, 08:56 AM
My suggestion is maybe universal joints on ur tailshaft.

briigo82
30th July 2012, 04:18 PM
Check your engine mounts, are they munted?

killabeez_1985
30th July 2012, 04:25 PM
Check your engine mounts, are they munted?

My engine mounts only get munted on weekends :P

JDM-086
3rd August 2012, 11:04 AM
Mine has a similar clunk when you blip the throttle or on hard decel. I always assumed it was the 2-way and that I was just paranoid. Either way, my whole diff has been freshened up (TRD 2way and 4.3's are second hand otherwise everything else is new) and my gearbox as far as i know is in good condition which draws me to one last thing, the centre support bearings for the tail-shaft (2 piece tail-shaft) if it still clunks after that then I'm just going to assume either the diff wasn't assembled correctly or I really am just paranoid.

Arch
7th August 2012, 08:23 PM
ive had this issue before with worn splines on axles.. something to consider

blake.
7th August 2012, 09:31 PM
I reckon it would be the 2way, mine did it.

Also, I had fucked engine mounts (literally separated, bout looked find from the out side) and the intake maniflod would hit the strut brace on and of the throttle. Could be something to Consiter.

Personally I wouldn't worry to much about it, chances are its the 2way.

Fix would be a 1.5way