PDA

View Full Version : Engine choice for an AE86

Westy
7th August 2012, 03:16 PM
Hi,

I have 2x AE86, one has the 4A-GE in it already, the other is a rolling shell. I am stuck with what to put in it.

I have an S15 SR20DE with all wiring, extractors, clutch, flywheel, RB20 and SR20 boxes but need mounts to suit and a tail-shaft. It makes about 120kW according to Google when new.

I have a 3T-GTE that has some wiring, a W55 gearbox, needs a turbo, bellhousing, flywheel and clutch (which I have on my TA63 Celica GT-T and will probably upgrade those bits to have hand-me-downs for the Sprinter). Also needs engine mounts to suit. It makes about 120kW stock but most likely easier to get a bit more.

I also have a 1UZ-FE with VVTi and 5 speed auto out of a 1999 LS400 (complete car still here too). I have a W58 gearbox to convert to manual if needed but I think this is over the top for the car. Will need mounts and tailshaft also. Makes about 215-225kW and is plenty for the car. Currently, I am looking for an XT130 Corona for this engine, as I think that is the best way to use it.

I do think the 3T-GTE will look more "correct" in the car and I think I need TE72 mounts (??) to simplify the install.

Any suggestions on what I need? I have obviously over-simplified things but it's a start. I don't really want another 4A-GE and that car will probably get sold off to fund other stuff. I also don't really want to buy yet another engine but if I have missed out something really good, let me know. I think I only need 200kW tops as I may be using it as a fun track car/potential drift but in reality, once it is finished, it will probably only get driven to car shows/barely used.

Thanks,
Aaron

maxhag
7th August 2012, 03:57 PM
If money is not an issue, I would go with the 1UZ :P :P

Westy
7th August 2012, 04:06 PM
If money is not an issue, I would go with the 1UZ :P :P

It isn't the first issue. I think I want the 1UZ in the XT130, would make a nice 4 seater cruise sort of car, to complement my LS400, plus I can carry more in the Corona. Might be more "practical" in a 4 door that won't see the track as I would prefer to put the W58 in my Celica GT-T and hand down the W55 to the AE86 (I imagine the V8 would make it nose heavy).

Matt
7th August 2012, 04:38 PM
1uz in an ae86 would be insane... primrk started building one with a 3uz but there hasn't been any updates in a while... The mounts where pretty simple too from what i understand, but remote brake booster etc was required.

What are your plans for the car?

AIROCOBRA
7th August 2012, 05:36 PM
Coupe of years back , there was a TA22 Celica that had a 1UZ , w58 combo . IT SOUNDED AWESOME !!!!!!!! & WENT LIKE CUT SNAKE !!!
Had a talk to the guy and he said the box and engine was combo was great , but he was running a T-Series rear end and pit-stops where a case of check the petrol and replace the rear end .

Go the 1UZ it will be worth in in the end. The biggest drama will be custom build headers and exhaust .

Sam-Q
7th August 2012, 07:07 PM
use the 4ac, if your barely going to use it then why waste a good engine?

Ktas
7th August 2012, 07:19 PM
personally i definately wouldnt go a 1uz, sr20 would be a better option...

if anything i would vote for the 3tgte...but im biased on that...oh and i have a crossmember to suit 3t with rack n peanut into an ae86 if you go down that path ;)

lolwat
7th August 2012, 07:36 PM
4g63

dove grey 64
7th August 2012, 07:45 PM
FA20........... :P
s2000 motor (f20c?) or 13b, lightweight and loves to rev, easy power

hachirusto
7th August 2012, 07:48 PM
LS1 ..... runs and hides lol

maxhag
7th August 2012, 07:55 PM

Yeah, I would be in hiding now too.....

lolwat
7th August 2012, 08:10 PM

why, its probs lighter then a 4agte setup, make more touque, sound bawwssss

the witzl
8th August 2012, 11:52 AM
how does something sound "bawwssss"?
Is that like saying it sounds like balls, but with a speach impediment?

I personlly dont think the 3TGTE is period for the AE86, and on top of that they arent the easiest to find parts for nor the cheapest to modify.
1UZ would be cool, but registration/compliance issues abound.
SR20DE is simple enough, but for the effort you might as well go SR20DET.

Each has positives and negatives. The choice is yours at the end of the day.

Rice86
8th August 2012, 12:14 PM
yeah future plans needs to be considered, its hard enough to sell a 4age road registered AE86, imagine one that has 6x the power and 4x the displacement lol

Matt
8th August 2012, 12:28 PM
how does something sound "bawwssss"?
Is that like saying it sounds like balls, but with a speach impediment?

Lol...

Ultimatley you have to look at what you expect from the car, some people are happy with a 4age bigport, others not so much. Torque vs sitting on the limiter ultimately is what you need to decide. Also if you are happy to trailer it to / from the track vs driving is pretty important.

With the suspension options available today, you can set it up to slide or to have great traction.

There is also the 1/2JZ paths as well.

the witzl
8th August 2012, 12:37 PM
i rekon you should build an epic 3K.

Westy
8th August 2012, 02:47 PM
I personlly dont think the 3TGTE is period for the AE86, and on top of that they arent the easiest to find parts for nor the cheapest to modify.
1UZ would be cool, but registration/compliance issues abound.
SR20DE is simple enough, but for the effort you might as well go SR20DET.

Each has positives and negatives. The choice is yours at the end of the day.

Too new for the AE86 you mean or too old? I have the 82 GT-T Celica and keeping that original looking on most parts but upgrading what can't be seen (like LSD, internals, etc) and disposal parts like exhaust/turbo and wheels.

The negative I have for a Nissan motor is that it's going into a Toyota body, otherwise it ticks most boxes (it's here, cheap to modify). I wanted to keep the car NA, so I traded the motor and box but now I don't really care about that.

Sam Q: there is no engine/box at the moment, so no way I am buying a 4A-C

KTAS: How much and whats the Postcode, weights and dimensions so I can quote up freight. Might be enough to swing it back to that.

My time frame for the whole project is likely a couple of years, to budget the rest and find the parts I need. The Corona project is hopefully starting as soon as I find one. The Celica engine build starts when it comes out of the panel shop and I can get quotes for the work to budget (was hoping to finish that car for less then 10K, engine and suspension mainly).

shift_rook
8th August 2012, 02:56 PM
If you want to keep it Toyota the 4AGZE, then converted to turbo is a great option. Happily put out 160kwatw and be pretty reliable too. Have seen people push them into the 200's though reliability can become a problem. 1UZ would also be a bit of fun but if the car is kept on the road it may not be a viable option. If you get over the badge difference SR20DET will be the best bang for buck option.

Ktas
8th August 2012, 05:23 PM
say $300ish for the crossmember, weights and measurements will be same as ae86 but ill grab them tonight

postcode 5046, try looking at e-go for the postage quote

timbo
9th August 2012, 09:26 AM
I don't understand why people buy AE86's then figure it is underpowered for them and have to change the motor to a SR20... The car was designed with weight and balance in mind, I guess I just don't get engine conversions like that, to me you would be better of buying a Silvia.

Someone said ZE, I think that's a good option and would complement the car. There are always crazy ideas like 1UZ's and other engines, but this forum is full of ideas and not a lot of action or progress regarding such ventures. Stick to something you can complete easily and doesn't exceed you knowledge and capability; a running car is always better than an idea sitting in a shed.

Westy
10th August 2012, 02:06 AM
I don't understand why people buy AE86's then figure it is underpowered for them and have to change the motor to a SR20... The car was designed with weight and balance in mind, I guess I just don't get engine conversions like that, to me you would be better of buying a Silvia.

Someone said ZE, I think that's a good option and would complement the car. There are always crazy ideas like 1UZ's and other engines, but this forum is full of ideas and not a lot of action or progress regarding such ventures. Stick to something you can complete easily and doesn't exceed you knowledge and capability; a running car is always better than an idea sitting in a shed.

I thought I always wanted an AE86 when I was on my P's but was out of budget. Finally bought 3 late last year (one rego'ed but rolling shell, one unrego'ed but rolling shell and one complete unrego'ed car). I drove one with a 4A-GE in it and don't think they are anything special, balance/performance wise. Sold the rego'ed one, the other 2 owe me a few hundred between them and with the SR20DE, a couple of hundred more, so I am taking all the good bits out of the complete car and swapping all the good bits out on to the shell (red line lights, mechanical LSD, etc) and making it my car. Then probably sell the other one off. I want it to look good (that is about all the car has in my books) and if I want to drive it, go reasonably hard (harder then a stock 1600cc), that brings me to where I am now.

I don't understand people who modify S13's (can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter, rings a bell), but I am not going to stop them as that means I lose money for my interests.

I will probably end up mounting the SR20DE up and binning it once I find all the 3T-GTE bits I need to do it.

AJPS
10th August 2012, 02:48 AM
sell the engines and buy a beams?

JJRC
10th August 2012, 03:21 AM
I thought I always wanted an AE86 when I was on my P's but was out of budget. Finally bought 3 late last year (one rego'ed but rolling shell, one unrego'ed but rolling shell and one complete unrego'ed car). I drove one with a 4A-GE in it and don't think they are anything special, balance/performance wise. Sold the rego'ed one, the other 2 owe me a few hundred between them and with the SR20DE, a couple of hundred more, so I am taking all the good bits out of the complete car and swapping all the good bits out on to the shell (red line lights, mechanical LSD, etc) and making it my car. Then probably sell the other one off. I want it to look good (that is about all the car has in my books) and if I want to drive it, go reasonably hard (harder then a stock 1600cc), that brings me to where I am now.

I don't understand people who modify S13's (can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter, rings a bell), but I am not going to stop them as that means I lose money for my interests.

I will probably end up mounting the SR20DE up and binning it once I find all the 3T-GTE bits I need to do it.

I don't think the AE86 is the car for you then, as pretty much said before a S13 can do what you want so much easier.
Or if you really want the extra oomph the BEAMS does it well thought saying so does the SR20DET.

Westy
11th August 2012, 11:54 AM
I'm not in it for ease, this is probably my first "mainstream" car I have owned where I can actually buy off the shelf parts for it. The cars look good, I'm just not a fan of the performance. Thought about BEAMS 3S but unless I find one at the right price, it isn't going to happen for about 3 or 4 years.

northy
12th August 2012, 06:58 PM
Bt 20v love mine it sounds like a wasp

vince_869
30th August 2012, 12:31 PM
2jz N/A

vince_869
30th August 2012, 12:34 PM
or 4AG sequential turbo set up
:)

jasonae86
31st August 2012, 03:54 PM
I put sr20de with r32 box in my sprinter. it has just enough poke to have fun but you can also hold it flat to the floor around corners without breaking into mad wheelspin. i think its a winnef combo for me and was a straight forward conversion.26750

BLIPAE86
31st August 2012, 04:59 PM
ca18det thats what im doing right now yeeew

willeE7
31st August 2012, 05:18 PM
Throw a Cummins in it.

NIZLAH
31st August 2012, 08:25 PM
briggs n stratton, do it!

willeE7
1st September 2012, 04:30 AM
All day.

Futo_gt86
18th September 2012, 09:59 PM
Dude on trade me sell's AE86 1UZ engine mounts.
If your going to do this, make sure you do the timing belt before you put it in, l'll tell you the 1uz has a LOT of crap on the front of it.
Would hate to do a belt on car - you'll spend hours pulling all the crap off the front of the motor - then still got to remove the water pump & tensioner & then the new belt can go on.