View Full Version : KE70 - 4AGE Conversion

centrefire00
10th June 2009, 10:19 PM
Gday Guys, sorry if something like this has been posted before, but im new... and cant find my way around the site.

Im looking at doing a 4AGE - KE70 engine conversion, as the title above says :)

i was wondering, if anyone would be able to roughly tell me how much their conversion cost, or how much im looking at (roughly) $$$.
Looks like such a cool conversion, 16v or 20v motor. Doesnt matter, I've only got $6000 so far, and a car lined up for purchase next week.
but im fearing this wont cover the conversion.. :worried:

any help would be greatly appreciated guys
thanks
Will..

ke70dave
10th June 2009, 11:02 PM
first off welome to ae86dc, you will love a 4age in your ke70, its a completely different car once its converted. but please sort out your suspension and brakes first ok?

16V into my ke70 a few months ago

heres what it cost me

T50-300
ae71 pbox-200
bare 4age with spares-150
recoing 4age head incl head gasket-400 (after finding out it had bhg)
inlet manifold-250
rwd exhaust headers and secondaries-20 (bargain of the century)
rest of exhaust incl cat/2 mufflers-550
tail shaft- 50
fuel system-300
ecu-100 (jap one, got one forsale if you wanna buy..)
loom-100
new HD clutch -250
machine flywheel-50
pod filter with pipe thing-60
clean injectors-120
new plugs- 20
alternator rebuild-80
starter motor rebuild-80
clutch master new-58
clutch slave new -50
metal line-20
braided clutch soft line and fittings-60
ae71 engine x member and mounts-100
ae71 gbox x memeber- 50 (though i got mine for freee)
mod plate-80

3500....shite....thats alot. but i did it hte hard way and bought all the motor parts seperately. still its not to bad though. sold the 4k and box for 100...so that makes it 3400

notice the percentage of the cost of the actual motor. its not a cheap convo but its fun. took me about 2yrs to collect all those parts, gota wait for them to come up at relatively decent prices.

centrefire00
10th June 2009, 11:12 PM
Far out, seems pretty in depth. Sounds like fun though... cant wait to begin. Just need the engine package :(
cheers for your help though mate, you've settled any worries i had.
Has anyone else done this same conversion? as much help as possible, would be greatly appreciated.

cheeeeeeeers

Will.. :D

sundee
11th June 2009, 11:57 AM
hey champ . Welcome! there is alot of information in this site, your places to look are, here in tech questions, tech articles and in members rides sections.

im with dave , Ke70 brakes will be sketch, upgrade to 86 items at a minimum up front, 4 wheel disc's are the go but it all depends on your plans and budget.

getting the motor into the 70 is easy..

u need an ae71 or ae86 crossmember and gearbox x member and it all bolts in..
your going to need to convert your pedal box to ae71 or T18 pedal box.. Ae71 is the choice at around $200 - 250 ..
u need to do this because your 70 has a cable clutch and 4a T50 uses hydro clutch.. if u want to look at pics there are some in my rides thread.

u can do this conversion on a budget, or u can go all out.. but $6000 will do it easily (if u choose the right bits) ;)

search around, read articles and in no time u will have a list of "to do's" and u'll be on your way

dont forget to post up a thread so we can keep up to date with where your at.

have fun ;)

ke70dave
11th June 2009, 12:28 PM
u can do this conversion on a budget, or u can go all out.. but $6000 will do it easily (if u choose the right bits) ;)

also depends on what bargains you can get....."who" you know is a big part of it.

just keep looking for bargains, it will cost you alot more if you jsut go and buy it all. wait for bargains to come up. visit the wreckers often as they can be cheaper than forums as they dont know how rare stuff is...where as prices can get jacked up around here.....(ae71 pedal box's for example....)

as for brakes, grab some ae86 stuff. an just run the standard brakes for the time being. they are pretty good and a bit beter than ke items. some stiffer springs and some better shocks and you'll be laughing. of course this is only a basic suspension and brake system but it will be 100 times better than stocko.

keep in mind these cars are 25yrs old, so most things are starting to break. so be prepared to replace things you didnt think you would need to. mastercylinders, diffs, bushes, bearings....the list never stops!! good fun though.

centrefire00
11th June 2009, 06:47 PM
Thanks for all your help guys.
It looks as if this KE70 im supposed to be buying may have fallen through (family complications with seller) :(

Should i look for an AE71, as opposed to buying a KE, to make my life simpler?
If so, how much should i pay for one...?

Thanks for all your help fellas...
Appreciated!

:D

sundee
11th June 2009, 06:52 PM
Thanks for all your help guys.
It looks as if this KE70 im supposed to be buying may have fallen through (family complications with seller) :(

Should i look for an AE71, as opposed to buying a KE, to make my life simpler?
If so, how much should i pay for one...?

Thanks for all your help fellas...
Appreciated!

:D

depends what u like.. 71 is easier because its alrady got the x members and its hydro clutch already... what body u like is up to you.. its really the only difference bar some interior stuff, prices ov these have come up a bit.. but for example.. i got my 70 for $300... some guys are asking up to $2000.. like dave said.. shop around keep your eyes peeled and u wont blow your budget.

u might want to spend a few hundred on replacing the suspension bushes.. there prolly all toast by now

todd
11th June 2009, 06:52 PM
yes look for an ae71.
but expect to pay roughly the sum of the surplus parts needed to do a convo in a ke70 + more

2000ish for an ae71 stocker in decent nick.

centrefire00
11th June 2009, 07:01 PM
Beautiful, thanks heaps guys.
Really appreciate your help!
cant wait to get this project up and going...

Will:D

MohdRidhwan
15th June 2009, 11:39 PM
after browsing through all the pages, im still couldnt find an answer.im currently building one too. ive heard people used 4k tailshaft mate it with the t50 but when i tried to test fit just now. It looks like the 4k tailshaft input not big enough for the t50 output shaft. Now im getting confused. Have you guys ever heard people using a 4k tailshaft(4k diff also) with t50?

i really really appreciate the help. thanks!

Hokey
15th June 2009, 11:43 PM
use ae71 tailshaft. will work with 4k diff and t50 gearbox

MohdRidhwan
15th June 2009, 11:49 PM
i dont think i can find ae71 tailshaft here. Im from Malaysia. and im guessing the ae86 tailshaft wouldnt fit to 4k diff.

adam
16th June 2009, 11:23 AM
Manual 4k tail shaft should bolt up to a T18 series 1 T50. 20 spline output.

MohdRidhwan
17th June 2009, 02:51 AM
4k tailshaft
http://joker13.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/57.jpg?w=400
t50 tailshaft input
http://joker13.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/58.jpg?w=400

my friend told me to just get it cut,weld and balanced. joint the t50 input to the 4k tailshaft.

im gonna post about my project here soon but you guys can go to my blog.. www.joker13.wordpress.com