PDA

View Full Version : 4age in 71 not reaching operating temp?

anastasios
9th September 2012, 03:51 PM
Hi all,

I have a JDM bigport in my 71.

Temp gauge works, has new genuine toyota thermostat.

Now the gauge will move to just past the Cold line. I believe it should be around the 1st line after the C line?

I have noticed that the bottom radiator hose is alot cooler than the top. and i was going to get the rad re cored incase it was blocked

Does the 4ac and 4age have different operating temps which just shows as cooler on my gauge?

Could it be the temp sender? wiring?

let me know your thoughts/experiences

blake.
9th September 2012, 03:57 PM
I wouldn't trust the gauge in the dash. Mine compaired to my mates is way off yet engines are same temp.

Bottom hose should be colder, which tells me your radiator isnt blocked.

anastasios
9th September 2012, 04:00 PM
what engines do you guys have and how did you measure engine temp?

slide86
9th September 2012, 04:04 PM
Bottom hose should be cooler than the top, hot water flows from top to bottom im pretty sure.

If the rad was blocked, it would over heat not be too cold, as no coolant would actually flow through the radiator.

I have done the same conversion but in a KE70 and the gauge went to the first line with the KE70 temp sender fitted to the upper water neck.

You possibly just have a very efficient cooling system. Have you driven the car and monitored the gauge?

anastasios
9th September 2012, 04:10 PM
yep drove the car to canberra, and did a hillclimb with it and it would stay in that same position

although canberra is very cold

im using the jdm 86 temp sender in stock location, could this be an issue? sending out a different reading?

blake.
9th September 2012, 04:20 PM
Both 4ages, measured with my hand, put the sensor on the water neck and see how you go.

anastasios
9th September 2012, 04:32 PM
Id rather keep the sender in the location on the outlet,

anastasios
9th September 2012, 04:43 PM
could it be the clutch fan? not disengaging the fan?

meadan
9th September 2012, 04:59 PM
Get a real temp gauge before you even think about looking at anything else.

The water temp should be around 82 degrees if you got a stock thermostat.

Futo_gt86
18th September 2012, 10:09 PM
Do you have the stock AE71 cluster gauge wired to the JDM sender?
Are the senders the same ohms?
Could this be the issue?
Do as meadan suggests, buy an aftermarket gauge with sender try it and see if issue persists.