PDA

View Full Version : quick question about water system

Rice86
12th June 2009, 06:15 PM
so i got my radiator from ebay today and put it in...filled it with coolent and leaked out from everywhere that was possible on the TB...

TB is JDM
waterpump is JDM

so....do i block eveything on the TB that has got to do with the water system?..

so far i have blocked everything on the TB that was leaking...not sure what they we're for but it leaked, i blocked

got no power steering,....what else can i say...errrmm...

so is that normal or OK if i just block what ever leaked....these pipes where bare to start with, they wernt blocked already

Thanks in advanced....p.s check out my build thread, working on the car again =p

Jonny Rochester
12th June 2009, 07:22 PM
You are talking about the throttle body? The simplest system is to have no water lines going to the throttle body at all. Block off any small water pipes you have.

Otherwise you have the option of hooking up the small water lines to the throttle body correctly.

If you have to use a old hose on a corroded fitting, use a bit of liquid silicon. Or use new rubber hoses, and sand any corrosion of the metal fittings.

FAST EDDIE
12th June 2009, 07:31 PM
why have coolabnt to the tb anyway JOHHNY?

86coupe
12th June 2009, 07:42 PM
As "warmant" for the cold start idle up.

Jonny Rochester
12th June 2009, 07:43 PM
The factory setup has coolant to the throttle body, on both the AE86 and hundreds of other cars. Others would have inspected this system more recently than myself. It is to do with cold start and related things. Not needed in a modifyed car.

FAST EDDIE
12th June 2009, 07:52 PM
realy i never knew mite have to sus it out and take it out if i dont need it

Golberg
12th June 2009, 08:53 PM
The water supply to the TB heats up wax which when hot blocks off the extra air for cold idle.

yoshimitsu9
12th June 2009, 09:20 PM
realy i never knew mite have to sus it out and take it out if i dont need it

its not going to affect performance if its still all connected and running then you also have a nice drivable car when the engine is completely cold

i seriously cant understand why people spend the EXTRA effort in removing this system in the first place, like seriously why would anyone want to have to have the engine running for 10min before being able to drive their car.

Rice86
13th June 2009, 02:34 AM
ohhhhhhhh.....this is helpful....guess im going to hook it all up then, cold start is a bitch

Golberg
13th June 2009, 03:35 AM
i seriously cant understand why people spend the EXTRA effort in removing this system in the first place, like seriously why would anyone want to have to have the engine running for 10min before being able to drive their car.

Lol dude, it happens all the time. Take removing an airbox and putting on a pod filter. Takes effort and you get worse heat soak and subsequently worse performance.

Just a fact of the car modifying community, there are plenty of people who "improve" things without any idea of what they are doing.

Jase86
15th June 2009, 10:43 AM
its not going to affect performance if its still all connected and running then you also have a nice drivable car when the engine is completely cold

I would think if we go to all the trouble of trying to keep intake air cold - warming up the throttle body with hot coolant is counter productive?

A lot of things that the OEM does for emissions reduction and daily driveability is counter productive to outright performance.

dave2221
15th June 2009, 10:56 AM
interesting.......

ke70dave
15th June 2009, 11:45 AM
just thought i would chime in here....

i have blocked off everything and i have quote: "a perfectly driveable car when cold". my cold start injector is all hooked up and opperable. the only thing is i usually leave it idle for like 20-30 secs before i start driving. as i dont have the idle up working (not even sure how it works on a 4age, i just know i dont have it) it just idles at like 1000rpm regardless of temperature.

keep in mind that the coolant flowing through your TB is not going to help your cold start, since when you are starting the car when its cold...the water is still cold....so its not heating up your TB..... ie no advantage. apparently when it gets REALLY cold (like minus temperatures, snowing ice etc) the air can get so cold that it doesnt atomise the fuel properly which is why they heat the throttle body with the warm coolant (engine now at opperating temp, so coolant is hot). i hear this is an even bigger problem on cars with front mount intercoolers as the air get sooo cold under normal driving conditions (ie not hard boost) that its just too cold. there is a technical term for this but i cant remember what it is....but its only a problem if your gonna drive your car in the snow etc.

good thing im not driving my car on skii trip this year!!

yoshimitsu9
15th June 2009, 07:03 PM
I would think if we go to all the trouble of trying to keep intake air cold - warming up the throttle body with hot coolant is counter productive?

A lot of things that the OEM does for emissions reduction and daily driveability is counter productive to outright performance.

my argument to that would be the air would be moving quick enough through the throttle body that it wouldnt heat up.

even if it did "warm" the air up, its moving fast enough that it would only cause a poofteenth of a kw loss in power

Golberg
15th June 2009, 07:45 PM
Sigh, the function has nothing to do with warming the throttle body up, in fact you'd find that it probably makes little to no difference to the throttle body temp at all.

The water temperature adjusts a valve which allows more AIR to flow into the manifold, which in turn increases idle speed. When the water is cold, the valve is wide open allowing the extra air in, when it is shut the idle comes down to 800rpm.