PDA

View Full Version : W58/4a clutch trouble

Fashionbmx
18th September 2012, 11:13 AM
Hi I have a w58 box with a 4a bell which I think is from new Zealand .
Im running a ra60 slave ,standard ae71 master.
Im using a t50 fork an everything externally lines up really well but
It doesn't seem to throw far enough .
Clutch works but the pick up point is right at the floor ...
The pedal has been adjusted an made a little difference but not much ..

I was wondering of any one on here has any info on what set up other people have used and if someone has had
the same sort of trouble and how did they rectify it

Thanks
daniel

willa
18th September 2012, 11:58 AM
Maybe you could make a shorter/longer push rod from slave->throwout lever. It's 6mm rod iirc

Fashionbmx
18th September 2012, 12:06 PM
Thanks for the reply mate I have put a longer push rod in but I wasn't sure how long it can be before it might pop out with bumps and that if you know what I mean

willa
18th September 2012, 12:28 PM
Yeh mate, and you dont want to over-extend the carrier off the shaft (not sure if it's possible, but still a scary thought).
I'm 95% through them same conversion, except i used a 22re slave, so ill let you know if i have the same dramas.

Cheers,

Will.

Fashionbmx
18th September 2012, 12:33 PM
Sweet as man I hope it works out for you first go cause this has been the biggest bastard to work out hahaha ...
keep me informed for sure :)

Matt
I used the w58 fork in mine.... There are also kits which remove the fork all together out there...

http://forum.twincam.org.au/topic/2949-hydraulic-clutch-bearing-setups-w55-w57-w58-r154/

20v ae71
I thought you were supposed to use the ae71/86 slave?

shortround
18th September 2012, 01:09 PM
I used the w58 fork in mine.... There are also kits which remove the fork all together out there...

http://forum.twincam.org.au/topic/2949-hydraulic-clutch-bearing-setups-w55-w57-w58-r154/

I just purchased one of these kits.. hoping it will show up this week!

They look awesome and Bazda was good to deal with.

Matt
18th September 2012, 01:45 PM
Not sure what the slave is... was that long ago, but my bell is a diff brand too, so could be why the w58 fork worked.

NIZLAH
18th September 2012, 02:49 PM
I had similar issues when doing my W box conversion, had to play around with the slave push-rod length to get the pedal/engagement to feel right as there wasn't enough adjustment on the pedal. This was with a niteparts bellhousing and jdm/t18? slave cylinder.

willa
18th September 2012, 02:51 PM
I thought you were supposed to use the ae71/86 slave?

Depends on the bellhousing i guess. I'm using a nite parts one which relocates the slave onto the drivers side like jdm t50. That means the slave needs to be a mirror image of a standard ae86/ae71 slave.

I also used the w55 fork and carrier fwiw.

Will.

Fashionbmx
18th September 2012, 02:55 PM
Wow That kit looks good as Andrew if I can't work out the kinks ill have to go that way ..
Nah the 58 fork was far to long for my bell ...
unfortunaly I think I have to take the box out AGAIN and see if I have adjustment on the pivot ball ...
fingers crossed

ae86
19th September 2012, 12:06 AM
you probably need to identify what bellhousing you got first of all, if its the toycool one from philippines i got direct contact with the guy who makes them and can ask him if its that one.

maxhag
19th September 2012, 02:36 AM
I never had trouble......

I used the T50 slave AND used the T50 fork with my W58 and bellhousing from AJPS...

Problem free...

Fashionbmx
19th September 2012, 07:51 AM
Thanks for all your info guys but Im gonna drop te box tonight and adjust the pivot ball ...
thats the last point of adjustment that I overlooked ..
ill let you know how it goes

Slimer86
19th September 2012, 11:31 AM
When I fitted mine with ra60 slave and push rod, it was about 15-20mm too long and wouldn't engage the clutch and when it did it would slip under load.
The pivot ball is fixed length if I can remember correctly.

With clutch dis-engaged there should be a little bit of clearance between the slave pin and fork before it even starts to take up the fork free play.

Check these clearances before you take out the box. It's a quick check and much easier than lying on the ground pulling out a box.

willa
19th September 2012, 11:44 AM
Yeh there isn't/shouldn't be adjustment in the pivot ball, it just screws into the b/housing (no adjustable locking nuts etc.)

I would opt for another clutch bleed as well to be sure.

Fashionbmx
20th September 2012, 01:02 PM
7 mm of washers to space the pivot ball further forward and it still had enought thread to tighten up nice ....
clutch works a treat now :))..
thanks for everyone's input