PDA

View Full Version : very rough 4k and key banger like poping

shaunpierre
19th September 2012, 03:30 PM
Car model: e70

Engine type:4kc

Problem : VERY rough rev up to about 3000rpm pops and back fires,
VERY very hard to start usualy drains battery and need a jump.

up untill this point i had random key banger like pops/backfires with massive black clouds of smoke left behind me while driving but engin will keep running,also rough random surges of power like im feathering the throttle, hard to explain.

now car wont start and when it does its rough as shit, took it for a spin just now and its dog shit no power and its like poping around almost stalling.

i changed leads, cap, fuel filter, cleaned carby and also service.. all started to happen recent and cars been out of action for a week,

Futo_gt86
19th September 2012, 04:16 PM
Check everything you changed
Did you get the leads in the right firing order?
Did you remove carby to clean it? in and return lines on right way around? Checked gasket?
No vacuum lines popped off?
Fuel pump all good? Got pressure?
Fuel filter flow in right direction?

shaunpierre
19th September 2012, 04:24 PM
leads must be in right order coz idles pritty smooth with some throttle

shaunpierre
19th September 2012, 04:33 PM
OH also changed the spark plugs i might double check them later

cae-086
19th September 2012, 05:28 PM
Did you change rotor button as well? If its loose on the shaft in the dizzy, could be your problem. Check your timing too...

shaunpierre
20th September 2012, 11:20 AM
nah havnt gona give that a look

lolwat
20th September 2012, 04:56 PM
check your leads, points, general timing

backfire out the carby??

shaunpierre
20th September 2012, 10:08 PM
na its out the exhaust, ill swap the rest of the leads to my old ones see it makes a diff, coz these newer ones are shit. the tips always come off when u take them out the dizzy cap.

also old dizzy cap had the spring loaded button thing under the cap that was rooted. new cap its good, possible the problem can be the rotator?
dont think can be timing... maybe its just my carby settings eg mix and idle.?
what are some good settings for idle and shit?? like i just bee playing around past couple years till it runs half decent i have no idea whats its at now.

if i cant solve this little delema its comin off the road and sr conversion comenses luls

i miss driving the daily thrasher lol

lolwat
20th September 2012, 10:45 PM
spring thing at the top of the cap transfers spark to the rotor botton from your king lead, when i said check leads i meant make sure you have put them on right(firing order and that there clipped on rite)

just go SR :L

shaunpierre
21st September 2012, 04:53 AM
yea i checked leads properly there all good and in right order, there fine the transfer spark for a good 2cm even when there out of there socket will get into after work this arvo

shaunpierre
21st September 2012, 04:56 AM
fkn 4kc

stixy
21st September 2012, 06:38 AM
check your leads, points, general timing

backfire out the carby??

I'd second this, it happen to mine, also put a valve cleaner trough, may have a sticky valve

shaunpierre
24th September 2012, 04:53 PM
ok lads... checked every thing apart from timing. cant be timing coz it has happened to sudden. must be a part or something i also dont have timing light.
checked fuel with empty bottle and i have fuel... fine.
checked each spark plug they look... fine
checked for spark on each lead from distributor and i have a strong jump of spark for about 2cm...so its... fine
checked rellays and fuses..fine
i also bought a new ignition coil since spark was kinda weak and old . still nothing.

also note guys car hasnt started in a while. started a while ago and it was with a jumper from another car AND it took ages lol

dont think it can be a valve i got new oil in it probs 2000kms so yaa

fuck my life

shaunpierre
24th September 2012, 04:56 PM
might take out carby and clean it again, when accelerator is pressed its more of a squirt than a spray.

shaunpierre
24th September 2012, 05:05 PM

hahah

shaunpierre
25th September 2012, 02:10 PM
carby is mikey mousey nothing, took valve cover off and hand turned engine to see if valve were stuck nothing.

not to mention i had to reco a drive shaft on my other car AND new batery 350 out of pocket might just take ke off road if not fixed by week end

WTF

cae-086
25th September 2012, 09:20 PM
What about the points? Most likely shagged. I used to replace them every 4 months or so in my datto 120y.

lolwat
26th September 2012, 12:47 AM
if you where burning points out that fast you where setting them wrong, point for 4k will be the same as Holden

shaunpierre
26th September 2012, 10:40 AM
why not.. what's another couple coins thrown at this bucket... i already gaped it cleaned it and greased the lobe, while fiddling i herd a few zaps but i duno :S ill buy a new point this afternoon and try to start it again. this is the last thing... cant be any thing else....

thanks guys :) really appreciate every ones opinions

lolwat
26th September 2012, 02:53 PM
make sure when you get new ones, open the contacts put your shirt or a rag between them let them close shut on rag or shirt and run them along, so it cleans the contacts up, as they are often oiled

shaunpierre
26th September 2012, 03:28 PM
success!!! car runs after new point, so random it was working and gaped properly this whole time :S oh well car runs nice and hard now with new ignition coil aswell. thrashed it up and down the street no dramas not a single pop.... just idles high.

time for some hoops

lolwat
26th September 2012, 03:35 PM
considering there like 3-5 bucks there always a good start

good to hear :)

shaunpierre
26th September 2012, 05:53 PM
yea just frustrating, had the car off road for a while, flat battery then this, lucky had this week off to get on top of it, thanks again guise :P