PDA

View Full Version : random poll: how much money have you WASTED on cars?

easyvision
2nd October 2012, 10:40 AM
hi all,

Just wanted to get an idea of where I stand in regards to wasting money lol.
I'm looking back at all my rides since I had my first car in high school, and I modified every one.
had 4 rides including current 2. Want to know how much you guys have wasted on cars

I would consider wasted money being : how much you actually spent on each car, then take the sell price (usually got way less money back than what you spend)
: spare parts you wasted money on, never used etc.
just ball park figures

I'm reflecting on all this wasted money and thinking there may have even been enough for half of a house deposit :S

cheers

AIROCOBRA
2nd October 2012, 11:08 AM
Spent over 35 + Years , aprrox $500,000 ? Wasted NIL --- IT NEVER COULD BE COSIDERED A WASTE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Matt
2nd October 2012, 11:12 AM
In terms of waste, honestly none of it is wasted. You need the pleasures in life and you can't drive a house but you can sleep in a car.

easyvision
2nd October 2012, 11:47 AM
Spent over 35 + Years , aprrox $500,000 ? Wasted NIL --- IT NEVER COULD BE COSIDERED A WASTE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
haha you've set the figure, I'm destined to a life of rolling cash.

In terms of waste, honestly none of it is wasted. You need the pleasures in life and you can't drive a house but you can sleep in a car.

good point, unless your over 60 and have a Winnebago.

there also seems to be a formula for the more money you poor into cars the more you learn about them, and hand skills, components and stuff.

jakel
2nd October 2012, 11:55 AM
My first car I lost $1000 on, which was an ae92 corolla
2nd I made $500 on was a st141 corona
3rd I still have which is my white T18 so far only owes me 7k with 1uzfe conversion, but I think I could break even on it.
4th I made $200 profit and got a free 1uz at the end after parting out a toyota celsior
5th car was an 07 turbo diesel hiace, lost the price of 6 months rego which is good.
6th car I still have 91 factory turbo 80 series landcruiser, I got really cheap and spent a bit on it and could make money back on it.
7th is my other T18 picked it up for a reasonable price and spent a bit fixing things up for rwc but selling it now, should just break even but spent heaps of time on it though.

So made about $400 profit and have about 20k worth of cars at the moment.
Wow I had 7 cars in 3 years and all been toyotas, haha. Though I'm sure others have had more.

After 1uz T18 is done I am saving for a house, won't need to spend much more on cars after. Seems like a smart thing to do.

AJPS
2nd October 2012, 11:56 AM
there also seems to be a formula for the more money you poor into cars the more you learn about them, and hand skills, components and stuff.

nice typo!

its never a waste - petrol, good rwd cars, good events are going to last for ever - every year we get more restrictions, more expenses, if you love it, enjoy it while you can

easyvision
2nd October 2012, 05:55 PM
nice typo!

its never a waste - petrol, good rwd cars, good events are going to last for ever - every year we get more restrictions, more expenses, if you love it, enjoy it while you can

yah I'm hearing the enjoy it while you can, cant agree more. Shit just keeps getting worse in society, spread the word and enjoy it while you can.

killabeez_1985
2nd October 2012, 06:09 PM
i would say ive wasted around the 25k mark. on 2 shitbox corolla's.

killabeez_1985
2nd October 2012, 06:10 PM
Sorry for the double post , i should have included that i would say ive wasted much more then that on - Takeway food , Drugs , Alchohol, Gambling, Cigarettes. So if you eliminate these things the 25k i spent on my cars is nothing.

joeschmo_57
2nd October 2012, 07:01 PM
nice typo!

Says the seller of car goods :-p

But I agree. Putting a dollar figure on the experiences and all the tail that having an ae86 gives, then you are short changing the experience of the car scene

haveaparty
2nd October 2012, 08:10 PM
180sx: car cost 7800 spent all up approx 8000 on new motor and getting it fitted, mods and defects. Sold for 7000
bug eye wrx: car cost 14500 spent 5000 when gearbox went bang, 2600 when second gear went bang, only bout 1000 on mods swapped for r33 4door
r33 4 door: swapped for above wrx, crashed and written off. Got 14000 from insurance. Brought car back off insurance and broke even parting out.
Ke70 sedan, 4agze and microtech. 2500. Spent bout 3000 on building it up. Parted out and broke even
ae71 panel van. Current build. Owes about 8500 as it sits including everything. (S2000, wheels ect) including things I've sold.

Currenlty owe 18500 on a car loan that has been topped up several times to pay for everything lol

easyvision
2nd October 2012, 08:37 PM
i would say ive wasted around the 25k mark. on 2 shitbox corolla's.

yep about the same for me, except there was a commodore involved at some stage.

Rice86
2nd October 2012, 10:13 PM
4 AE86 and 1 S13.. close to 35k i would think

Vance
2nd October 2012, 11:13 PM
i have had up to 40 cars in my lifetime.... pretty much all the money i have ever earnt that hasnt gone to living expenses has been spent on my cars.