View Full Version : Surge Tank Setup 4age KE70 Need Simplified

ke70 xx
14th June 2009, 01:21 PM
I am a bit useless when it comes to these sort of things so was wondering if someone could simplify it for me so I can get it done. The parts ive got are a 2 litre surge tank, lift pump, and vl fuel pump. All help is appreciated. Thanks Troy

corey70
14th June 2009, 02:01 PM
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/5/9/7/547106.jpg

prob add some fuel filters in somewhere to :)

Cerby86
14th June 2009, 02:07 PM
Okay. At the main tank you have three pipes.

The biggest straightest one will go through you lift pump to your surge tank. I would put a fuel filter in this line just to make sure you don't get any crap into the surge tank. I personally use a basic plastic carby fuel filter cos this side of the setup is low pressure!

Now the out of the other two pipes you have the fatter one which is the fuel return from the engine bay. You should put a hose from this pipe to the highest inlet on your surge tank. This will send any overflow from the surge tank back to the maintank.

And the other one which is skinny and twisty. this one vents the gases through your charcoal cannister. Now if your keeping your charcoal cannister (which you are legally
required to do) you don't need to touch the skinny one.

Okay so now you have the fuel between the main tank and the surge sorted.
So now you want to take the fuel from the surge to the motor. So put a hose from the bottom outlet of your surge tank to the inlet side of the vl pump. Mount it whereever you want. I had mine under the car in my old ae86, but i just mounted it right there in the boot in my ae71 it's a little louder but you can only hear it when the engine isn't running. Just make sure it's pointing the right way.

So from the vl pump i put a hose to the steel/copper/whatever the feck is stock line. I used the one that was used to feed the motor in the stock set up because it is the biggest and straightest.
You will get people saying that the stock lines are too small, they are entitled to there opinion but they are only saying this because they are parroting what someone with a turbo motor said. I have never head a problem though if you are going turbo then you might need to upgrade.
So obviously this pipe ends up in your engine bay where you put another filter, an EFI one this time, I didn't because im slack. Then from the filter to your fuel rail.

Okay so now you need to sort getting the left over fuel back to the tank. So you put a hose from the back of your fuel rail to the steel line that was originally used for a return. Back at the surge tank you want to put a hose from your return line to the second highest inlet of the surge tank.
You will get people telling you about hot fuel and running dual return lines, I did this in my ae86 but because i was using the skinny breather line as a return from the surge tank the tank pressurized and always leaked. Basically my single concession to this idea was to put the return line at the top of the surge so the hot fuel sits at the top. I know thats silly and that is exactly what i think about the hot fuel thing. Your running a motor from grannie car, not a bloody top fuel dragster. So you might possibly, theoretically loose 1 umpteenth of a KW but you could make that back up in your power to weight ratio by taking a shit before driving!!

Anyway i've forgotten where i was up to. So you have intake and return from the surge tank, tick. And intake and return from engine bay, tick. Filters, tick.

Oh another thing. Im from tassie and we have sweet laws and police so the first thing i did was throw the charcoal cannister into the paddock next door where it almost hit a horse and caused a stampede :P
I have heard of people getting fuel coming out of their charcoal cannister because their fuel system has pressurized. I didn't pay attention to what the problem or solution were cos it had nothing to do with me.
Maybe someone else knows :P

Hope that was simple enough.

PS. If you ask for pictures I will pay someone to kick you in the sack!! Do what everyone else did and draw your own! hahah
Edit. theres a pic too!!

stylz
14th June 2009, 02:13 PM
what are you doin about the box to enclose it?

Cerby86
14th June 2009, 02:33 PM
mine??
Well i never did anything about the one in the sprinter though i have to admit the smell was one of the reasons i sold it. And my current setup is in a ae71 sedan so I'm just running it bare for the moment and hoping that cops don't ask for a look. If it's cams your worried about im pretty sure worse case scenario you could either make up a steel/aluminium box or pull out your back seats and replace the wooden backs with an aluminium sheet.
As i understand it a fuel setup needs to be separated from the cabin by a fire proof enclosure and vented to the outside. Well my hoses go out through a hole in the floor which would count as venting. And yeah I've drawn up a aluminium box which will fit over the top and be held down by bolts and wingnuts. I just have to get around to getting it built!

stylz
14th June 2009, 03:33 PM
yea im just mainly concerned about cams events and also the fuel smells.
im also trying to make it take up as little space as i can so it leaves me more room for my tires and tools :/

corey70
14th June 2009, 03:45 PM
heres mine, plenty of room for tyres tool ect. no case tho

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/5/9/7/16335.jpg

Cerby86
14th June 2009, 10:40 PM
there was someone on one of these forums a while ago who was selling surge tanks just the right size to fit in where the jack goes!
But yeah if you ran an intank lift pump and bolted the VL pump into the gap in front of the fuel tank you would only have the surge tank in the car.
I have to say that setup above makes me want to redo mine a bit neater, but i have other fires closer to my feet to piss on :P

slide86
15th June 2009, 02:25 PM
i would recommend getting a JDM tank and modifiying the filler neck so you can fit in into your car....

its so much easier and neater. after fitting several external setups in E7s, i can say that its a pain in the ass and if i had the opportunity to do it again, i would definetly go the in tank route

Jase86
15th June 2009, 03:12 PM
Heres mine in the AE86 - in the pare wheel well.

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/1/5/3/9/16506.jpg

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/1/5/3/9/16507.jpg

kronix
15th June 2009, 08:12 PM
when i did my fuel system in the back of my ke i made up that has no back to it which fits up against the seat, i then covered it in carpet like the same they cover subs in, then screwed an amp to the back of it and ran some dummy wires under it and some dummy power wires... works fine for me and looks good and still plenty of room in the boot and protects the system

Wade