PDA

View Full Version : Comfortable bucket seat(s)

tc-rolla
9th October 2012, 02:41 PM
Hey guys,

After having some severe back problems over that last few years, and now I'm dailying the 71, I need to get a drivers seat that is comfortable. So something that has various adjustments on it. I don't care about what has to be done to seat rails to make it fit that's not a issue. Just something that will physically fit.
Im not gonna use any of that supercrap auto shit.
Obviously everyone ones opinion of "comfortable" will be different.
Looking at something along the lines of maybe a recaro sr3? Any one have measurements of one?
All I want to be able to do is throw seat covers on it and not have issues from cops as they won't be engineered. Keeping my sleeper look and not wanting pay $2500 for one.

Any input is appreciated :)
Ben.

Rice86
9th October 2012, 02:50 PM
If that's the case then just go test-sit in a bucket seat, which one is most comfortable for you, you buy it without a question.

As you said different people will have different comfort levels.. I have a fixed back recaro and straight 16hours driving in this, it's still comfy.

I would suggest try sitting in stock Evo recaro seats or intergra type r recaros as they are easy to buy

john84ie
9th October 2012, 02:53 PM
standard jdm 86 gt apex seats are pretty comfortable.drivers one has different ajusts and lumbar support

jakel
9th October 2012, 02:56 PM
As above recommend jdm 86 seats. But if the suspension is too stiff for your comfort a seat won't make that better.

Konakid
9th October 2012, 05:10 PM
Bride Brix recliner is super comfy, but i would be looking at factory fitted seats like the integra recaros or 33 gtr seats

dove grey 64
9th October 2012, 07:00 PM
I had sr3 recaros and loved them, went back to a zenki seat for looks, jdm seats are great too but obviously the recaro was better for spirited driving but not leagues ahead of the stock jdm seat really

Jimmee1990
9th October 2012, 08:45 PM
If you're tall, the jdm AE86 seats probably won't fit you very well although they do hold decently. I'm 6'3'' and I find jdm seats to sit too high and the curves of the backrest are designed for someone shorter.

stahlz_ae86
10th October 2012, 03:40 PM
Ben, how tall are you? I made some prelude seats fit in my pano years ago and they were a really comfy seat. I am too tall for them in the corolla though so I had to sell. They were from the pop up headlight 4Wsteer version. I run t18 / ae70 sprinter seats now.

jakel
10th October 2012, 04:19 PM
Actually yeah, T18 seats are very comfy! Much more than ke70 ones, but not a bucket seat though.

stahlz_ae86
10th October 2012, 08:00 PM
Umm pretty much any front seats in cars are "bucket" seats. The term bucket is what differentiates them from "bench" or "split bench" seats found in old cars and commercials.

jakel
11th October 2012, 01:39 AM
If you want to get technical, haha. Yeah, well they're not as sporty then, happy?

macca1590
11th October 2012, 09:59 AM
ma61's are good, better than my std rt142, and hug you a whole lot better, not sure how they will go if you are too tall

tc-rolla
14th October 2012, 12:06 AM
Thanks for your input guys much appreciated! Stahlz, I'm about 5'8. But I'm tiny frame wise lol.
Hopefully going to check out a few recaros during the week but managed to sit in one of the new evo ones and that was really good! Seen a few of the jdm seats but yet to sit in one so will sort something out this week and see what there like.

stahlz_ae86
14th October 2012, 08:22 AM
Go to the self serve and check out the old Prelude seats if you get a chance. You may like them enough to save yourself a lot of money. They have good lumbar support.

meadan
14th October 2012, 08:49 AM
Yeah I reckon just go to a wrecker and sit in seats until you find something you like.

I found mr2 seats heaps comfy, aswell as ep82 stock seats.

fantapants
14th October 2012, 09:34 AM
sw20 mr2 seats are a great option, with an easy fit and good comfort levels. also cheap enough :D

Gunner
14th October 2012, 09:58 AM
WRX seats, cheap (under $500 a pair easy) comfy, more so than recaros in evos and type Rs (bit more cushion on the rexy seats) and they are everywhre.

fantapants
14th October 2012, 11:27 AM
a good option for shorter fella gunner, but they do sit a touch higher than standard seats...

s13 james
14th October 2012, 03:28 PM
new velo gp 90 or bride lowmax fixed backs are my pick,loved both

Gunner
14th October 2012, 06:44 PM
a good option for shorter fella gunner, but they do sit a touch higher than standard seats...

Its cause of the extra comfyness...

dove grey 64
14th October 2012, 08:18 PM
be the first in the world to fit new 86 seats to your rig. they are comfortable seats. would cost more then recaro's so probably not worth it.
if you've got back issues i'd be staying away from fixed buckets and even some reclining recaros with massive bolsters as you'll have to contort yourself with entry/exiting of the car. recaro do make some really good orthopedic seats that you should check out. can get some cheap off ebay

Futo_gt86
14th October 2012, 09:14 PM
Or you could take what you have to a auto trimmer and have them re-foamed and built up in areas?

dove grey 64
14th October 2012, 10:13 PM
Or you could take what you have to a auto trimmer and have them re-foamed and built up in areas?

that too, most trimmers should be able to make/modify a seat to suit your needs

jakel
14th October 2012, 10:36 PM
Wonder what that would cost? My T18 seat base is sagged a bit and I thought about taking it to get fixed, might see if they can do something like that as well.

Sam-Q
15th October 2012, 09:10 AM
I am with Gunner- Recaros out of a import WRX:

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/2/5/2/403871.jpg

they can be made to sit at the same height if you do one crude mod.

Skylar
16th October 2012, 12:44 AM
For the uneducated, why do you say import wrx. Are they different to local wrx seats? Are they made for smaller people or maybe I should rephrase and say they are made more aggressively holding because that's what the jdm is after?

Are sti seats different again? I think I sat in an sti seat one time and thought they were pretty sparse in the way of cushioning and comfort. I noticed thy were pretty low too.

To add my 2 cents, I have a autotechnica recaro knock off in the silvia. It's pretty comfy and hold-ey but it's a big seat. Barely fits in a silvia and it's pretty high too. Was gonna out the other seat in the corolla but I don't think it'll fit. The seat could be better but I ain't complaining for the bargain price I paid for them.

Sam-Q
16th October 2012, 01:21 AM
I have almost no knowledge of this so I can easily say the little that I was told. For this age of seat the locally delivered models where meant to of had a bland and unsupported shape. The Jap versions on the other had had what's in my pic. I have a height and build which I figure is pretty similar to many Japs and I fit into them nice, good support and very comfortable.