PDA

View Full Version : Rosejoints - Good & Bad?

tc-rolla
22nd October 2012, 01:32 PM
Hey guys,

Just a question in reguards to Rosejoints/heim joints. I just would like to know the pros and cons of having them in a street car over conventional setups. As I've seen alot of adjustable lca's (which I'm interested in) panhards, tie rods etc. Or is it better off left to "track cars"?

Cheers Ben.

johl
22nd October 2012, 01:54 PM
in my old street car i went from normal trailing arms to adjustable rose jointed items and the difference was amazing. it wasnt loud and clunky like everyone thinks it is. however i still had a full interior and sound deadening so that may have helped the noise.

for my current build i have rose jointed lca, trailing arms and panhard rod but i havnt driven it yet so cannot comment on how good/bad having all rose joints is.

96sonataBro
22nd October 2012, 02:11 PM
the purpose of a bush is to absorb shock at the loss of response. Rose joints being solid, give you the most response but transmit 100% of the shock to the chassis. This makes them ideal for track, or if your state has nice smooth roads. i cant speak for vic but in w.a. all the roads in my aria are shocking so any rosejoint products would shake the car to pieces if being daily driven. and i have heard that they work alot better for horizontal movement(lca/panhard) but i don't no why, can anyone confirm this ?

Frak
22nd October 2012, 02:43 PM
Put small bags over the joints to keep road crap out, Cusco have rubber boots around theirs that work well, water + road grime = worn out rose joint. I have rose jointed lower arms, caster rods, upper/lower arms/ panhard rod and works good.

Rice86
22nd October 2012, 03:19 PM
all my stuff is rose joint too in my daily ae86, they bind and clunk when driving up my drive way on an angle.. they make more noise the lower your ride height goes when not setup up right, when they are set up close to being right they produce less clunk but will still make some noise..no tyre noise though, only when shit binds

this is all from the rear diff, up front Ive had no issues at all that i can think of

96sonataBro
22nd October 2012, 03:27 PM
on the subject, does anyone no where to get cheap heim joints + bung kits that are not shit, or should i just stick to the yank sights

Frak
22nd October 2012, 06:31 PM
Richard I'm running equal length rear so no problems with binding, if I was running unequal I'd only rose joint the lowers and run rubber in the top arms. After running equal length rear that's all I'd ever do on a lowered 86, the difference is unbelievable.

Rice86
22nd October 2012, 10:23 PM
Richard I'm running equal length rear so no problems with binding, if I was running unequal I'd only rose joint the lowers and run rubber in the top arms. After running equal length rear that's all I'd ever do on a lowered 86, the difference is unbelievable.

i would go equal if my car was a 2 seater daily, but for now I'll just have to deal with the binding and the cons of being a road car.

Matt
23rd October 2012, 06:58 AM
Personally i wouldn't use them in a road car....

Sam-Q
23rd October 2012, 08:47 AM
I agree with Frak, don't run rod-ends without a boot, it's like running an open bearing.

stahlz_ae86
23rd October 2012, 10:55 PM
I've used the T3 weld on LCA kit on my brothers AE86 and it's great. Finishing off another pair tomorrow arvo for my pano. I wouldn't personally run rod-ends to replace a bush at any other location on a street car other than LCA's or Panhard rod. LCA's and Panhard are side to side movement so keep things firm with handling. Stuff like trailing arms and caster arms I stay with bushes (front to rear load, acceleration/braking).

--Redwork--
24th October 2012, 09:05 AM
If unequal length rear end then only go solids on the lower links as has already been said..

But apart from that rose joint anything you want..
Place I get mine from. http://stores.ebay.com.au/McGill-Motorsports?_trksid=p4340.l2563

tc-rolla
24th October 2012, 01:51 PM
Stahlz, do you have a fair bit of adjustment with those kits? (btw going prelude seat. Thanks heaps for your help :D)

I like to feel what the car is doing but not the extent where shit starts falling apart ie the car lol.

Redwork, thanks for that man will check them out.

Frak, Sam, yeah deffently will use boots on them.

Thanks for all your input guys

stahlz_ae86
24th October 2012, 02:36 PM
Plenty of adjustment. When you cut your original arms you choose your minimum length. The pair I made for my track car I cut them and welded the kit on so the minimum length is slightly less than an XT130 arm.

ke_70
24th October 2012, 03:02 PM
i buy magill motorsport rods also and can vouch for their quality. make sure you order the correct ones though as they make shitty quality ones as well as good one's.
can get boots off them also.