View Full Version : 7age bottom end

DR86TY
16th June 2009, 09:51 AM
Hey guys,

Was looking into the 7age bottom end for my ST 20v.

Does any one know if this is a straight bolt up or would i need plenty of back and forth to make this work.

Cheers
Dave

DAMO46
16th June 2009, 05:09 PM
You need to deck the head, pm grant from syd section his just done a blacktop 7age buildup

marvis
16th June 2009, 08:12 PM
It's a 7afe bottom end :P

Can't help you sorry. 7oxin would know.

shift_rook
16th June 2009, 08:46 PM
mkae sure if you get the motor from the wreckers you at the very least pull it down and inspect it, if not give the bottom end a solid re ring and maybe even bearings... to really maximise the fatc it is an extra .2 ltrs i would suggest an aftermarket ecu aswell

starni_boy
16th June 2009, 08:52 PM
Yeah, the 20v head will bolt up.

No real need to deck the head, you'll get enough compression from the 20v head, and 20v pistons. If you need a little more run a TRD HG.

DR86TY
17th June 2009, 11:57 AM
Thanks guys,

Just looking at my option as my ST is blowing a fair amount of smoke and dont really want to rebuild the 20v as i might be converting to a turbo setup in around a years time.

Thanks again guys.

*urban_ninja*
17th June 2009, 12:08 PM
if your going turbo not really any point doing a 7age unless you plan on getting quolity parts off the mark. the head will bolt strate on i would still get it decked to insure it will seal perfectly with the 20V head its like $50 or so and well worth the money. and if you are going to drive it hard then you may as well cet new rods now cause it is cheep insurance.

slydar
17th June 2009, 12:23 PM
Thanks guys,

Just looking at my option as my ST is blowing a fair amount of smoke and dont really want to rebuild the 20v as i might be converting to a turbo setup in around a years time.

Thanks again guys.

does your motor still pull ok? like power?

cos its a pretty common thing for 20vs to "wear out" valve stem seals. which is where the oil smoke could be coming from.

either way, even if it is the bottom end, youre gonna want new rings no matter if you keep your bottom end, or go 7a, if youre current set up blows a lot of smoke.

DR86TY
17th June 2009, 01:13 PM
Still pulls fine,

The smoke has gotten worse but no power drop, and eating through a fair amount of oil.

If its just valve stem seals, all i need to do is recon the head??

slydar
17th June 2009, 02:04 PM
yes.

get cams to :)

but seriously at some places adding aftermarket cams wont add any extra expense to a head reco, as they will be setting the lash anyway.

just something to think about.

other thing though is a full reco' might not be really necessary (eg valves lapped etc) just replace the seals.

anyway.

Hokey
18th June 2009, 09:14 PM
if you pull the head off yourself i would put a set of ring through it anyway just to be sure. once the head is off it is only another 6 bolts to get the block out. give it a quick hone with a drill and bung in some new rings.

NIZLAH
18th June 2009, 09:42 PM
The one thing I want/need to know with this hybrid motor is which oil pump to use/is best......

I'm going down the 20v (silvertop) route, and I'm going to have it redlining at around 8-8200 or so... (properly built of course) now, I'm picking up a new 7afe oil pump which has been ported' (thanks 7OXIN) just unsure if I should use that or the pump off the 20v?
If I use the 7afe pump will there be any issues in regards to those rpm's causing reliability issues? and using the 20v timing gear or do I stick with the 7afe one here also? (for the sake of timing issues associated with the swap)?
same for crank pulley?
is it all compatible and at the right off set... I'm guessing I just use all the 'GE' pulleys... is this correct...

knowledge is power...

Cheers

DR86TY
19th June 2009, 09:29 AM
what he said :)

NIZLAH
20th June 2009, 01:05 AM
anyone?

Nader
22nd June 2009, 10:24 PM
I'd also like the know the same thing. Looking at building one soon, but just bought alloy pulleys for my S/T 4A and don't want them to go to waste :|

Cheers,
Nader.

Jip86
24th June 2009, 10:24 PM
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/showthread.php?t=1308

seems that ge pulleys will work for the crank and oil pump, unclear if stock pulleys will line up the correct timing on 20v cams tho.

Delazy
24th June 2009, 10:40 PM
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/showthread.php?t=1308

seems that ge pulleys will work for the crank and oil pump, unclear if stock pulleys will line up the correct timing on 20v cams tho.

and wat timing belt u plan on running?

Jip86
25th June 2009, 07:11 PM
Bosch pn BT111
it suits a Peugeot 505 (79->86) it has 116 teeth 19mm wide and a profile HTD.

the Porsche 944 one is BT107, one tooth longer at 117 teeth, 19mm wide, profile HTD.

For reference 4age 113 teeth, 19mm wide, profile HTD
7afe 121 teeth, 21mm wide, profile HTDK
i think the Porsche one is to long but you can modify the tensioner to make it work. it has been done before

Sam-Q
25th June 2009, 07:40 PM
for anyone who has a toymods account:

http://www.toymods.net//forums/showthread.php?t=49830

http://www.spoolimports.com/content/files/Resize%20of%20032.JPG

spool made billet cranks

also here:

http://www.tedcomponents.com/7ag.htm