PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilding my 16V smallport

AESeca
19th November 2012, 10:58 PM
Hey all,

My 16V smallport uses quite a bit of oil, and blows smoke at times. A compression and leakdown test has shown that all the rings are letting oil into the combustion chambers, and there is a slight headgasket leak between cyls 1-2, so I will have to rebuild sometime in the new year.

I will leave the head to a professional to reco and port out.

I was thinking of rebuilding the block myself to save a bit of money, and to learn about engines also. Given that I have never rebuilt, or even disassembled an engine before, I'm ont sure if I should attempt it, as the 4age is not the most simple engine out there.

If i did rebuild the block myself, what parts would I need? And what can be re used if still in spec? Are stock spec pistons still readily available?

AESeca
20th November 2012, 09:40 PM
Further to that, I have been quoted $1500 to have my block professionally rebuilt. Is there anyone in Melbourne who can do a bit cheaper, but does quality work?

-Are the ebay spec piston ring and bearing kits ok to use?

lolwat
20th November 2012, 09:43 PM
the cheaper you try and build it, the more it will cost you, use quality bearings and rings

AESeca
20th November 2012, 10:16 PM
I see, what brands would you recommend for quality bearings and rings? And if you could tell me where to source them, that would be great.

Skylar
20th November 2012, 10:35 PM
Oem, king, taiho, acl.

Just walk in to engine shop and say bore/hone it, supply me pistons and rings, bearings, thrust washers, anything else he reccomends. Skim head, get headgasket and bolts.

Follow the manual and you'll be fine. Buy a book from pitstop book shop if you don't feel comfortable.