View Full Version : Inverted Panda Project.

burcoty
20th November 2012, 09:03 AM
I'll try to keep this shortish.

So its an 84 ADM Ae86 with a zenki front end, currently with a barely running 4ac.
I Bought the car as a parts car for what is now gonna be my track hack around 2 years ago,
Unfortunately my finances went to shit not long after and it's been sitting since.

It was pretty much grandpa spec when i bought it with a relatively decent interior except for the seats
unfortunately the kid i bought it off had hit the paint with what looks like 80 grit sandpaper and then covered it in a thick layer of pressure pack putty primer.
It has some driver side quarter damage and has had a small knock in the front from before the front panel conversion.. neither of which are major.
The car from what i can see is rust free except for some surface rust on the tail gate and in the spare wheel well.
So here's some pics of when i first got it:
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/5/0/9/5/59465.jpg
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/5/0/9/5/59466.jpg
And how it's sitting now:
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/5/0/9/5/407341.jpg

My plans:
I intend to have this roadworthy and registered by mid Jan early Feb next year so that i can give my current daily (2008 impreza rs hatch) to my missus for running around with my son etc.

So far i have the following parts to go in:
Front to back jdm trueno wiring
Red-top big-port 4age out of my old ae82
spigot bearing
jdm rwd manifold
80's? leather steering wheel (was in my '82 and I loved it)

burcoty
26th November 2012, 06:26 AM
Small update..
Booked it in to get painted, dropping it off on the 6th Dec. Deposit paid.
Cleared all the spare parts out of it.
Re hit the surface rust in the spare wheel well with a grinder and sprayed the area with repco rust killer/ primer.
Drained around 5 litres of water out of the rear drivers quarter.
Found some rust under the rear bumper, will be pulling it off today to inspect the extent and repair it if I have time.

Enquired on availability of a heap of parts so should be more updates shortly :)

dove grey 64
26th November 2012, 07:10 AM
hey tyrone looks like a good project, there is a rwd water setup going for $150 on rollaclub at the moment.
re: suspension, get the shockworks kit. its great quality and not much else compares in quality or price. i'll take you for a drive in my car if you want to know what it feels like before buying some
also thats a zenki trueno front end.
i've seen vu's work and it looks good, looking forward to seeing this after paint :jdmsmile:

dove grey 64
26th November 2012, 07:14 AM
http://www.rollaclub.com/board/topic/63448-wa-2-x-ke10-complete-cars-rwd-4age-parts-ae86-powersteering/

burcoty
26th November 2012, 07:25 AM
Cheers for the heads up on the front end. :)
Waiting for a reply for a heap of parts from jdm imports so will wait and see what he quotes before putting my name down for that one. Cheers for link though :)

I can't wait to be driving this around. Hard to not just max out the card and get it done sooner lol :p

dove grey 64
26th November 2012, 10:39 AM
Cheers for the heads up on the front end. :)
Waiting for a reply for a heap of parts from jdm imports so will wait and see what he quotes before putting my name down for that one. Cheers for link though :)

I can't wait to be driving this around. Hard to not just max out the card and get it done sooner lol :p

craig is good to get stuff off, and if anything doesnt work i'm sure he'll swap it over so sometimes spending a bit more will save you in the long run

burcoty
26th November 2012, 10:17 PM
Today's progress report:
Finished clearing out spare parts.
Went through the interior with a wire brush and a vac to clean the majority of the built up grime. Found this on drivers side..
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/11/26/py2a8unu.jpg
Cleaned and sealed with rust converter primer
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/11/26/jygy7apa.jpg
Further investigated the rust in the rear driver side boot floor.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/11/26/gu6ureta.jpg
Pic from underneath
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/11/26/yjebyzyr.jpg
Going to clean it up, cut out the worst of it and weld a plate in.

And I found out what I'll be doing tomorrow..
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/11/26/y9y7agyj.jpg
Looks like brake fluid has run down the inside of the firewall and eaten all the paint. Gonna have to pull the rest of the dash support etc out and see what the extent of the damage is.

That's all for now.
More updates shortly. :)

burcoty
1st December 2012, 02:01 AM
Update:
Due to weather and work I haven't been able to touch the car since last update.
But! That's not to say I that haven't been a busy boy.. :p

Yesterday morning I went and met Chris at shockworks and all I can say is Wow! Those fellas really know their Shit. I got a full run down on how everything worked and was shown comparisons between their shocks and other leading brands. End of story I was very impressed, the Silvia Chris took me out in handles amazing and I can't wait to have a set of these keeping me on the tarmac.

I've also ordered the following pending final shipped price from Craig @ just jdm imports:
Disc T-series lsd with h/brake cables and tailshaft.
JDM T-50 gearbox
Decent clutch to suit.
16V rwd engine brackets
16V rwd water pump setup
Ae86 power steering setup inc sub-frame, steering column, pump, lines etc.

Pending weather I'll hopefully have some more updates in the coming days :)

sundee
1st December 2012, 03:22 AM
Could I assume from your thread title you having it painted tha way aswell? Black up top and white down below?
Nice updates BTW, keep it up, you know there is a $500 prize up for grabs right?

Should have saved you money with The power steering, it's a light car.
Put it towards coilovers or something else.

burcoty
1st December 2012, 06:00 AM
Could I assume from your thread title you having it painted that way aswell? Black up top and white down below?
Nice updates BTW, keep it up, you know there is a $500 prize up for grabs right?

Should have saved you money with The power steering, it's a light car.
Put it towards coilovers or something else.

Yep that's the plan. Haven't seen it done before and don't think it will look to bad at all ^-^
As far as the power steering goes I had power steering in my ae82 and for daily driving I loved it.
Also my track '86 won't have it so I'll have the best of both worlds ;)

As for the prize, I think it would be better given to someone with a little less cash flow as they'd be more deserving and appreciate it more. :)

Tyrone.

burcoty
1st December 2012, 06:29 PM
Update for the day:
Afternoon spent with the family.
Missus taken out to dinner and pampered..

Right! Now that that's taken care of I will spend the next week indulging in my sprinter fantasy lol :p
In all seriousness though, I only have till the 6th to get the car ready for the painter.

Having said that, I didn't do nothing today.
I finalized payment for Craig so hopefully aforementioned parts will arrive mid Dec.
Also bought a set of stainless extractors off Anthony.
Things are progressing, stay tuned! ^-^

s13 james
1st December 2012, 06:56 PM
white down bottom might get stained with tar/road/rubber debris,goodluck,sounds like its good hands,is that a early trueno bumper?or something from usa,euro or something?

burcoty
1st December 2012, 09:23 PM
white down bottom might get stained with tar/road/rubber debris,goodluck,sounds like its good hands,is that a early trueno bumper?or something from usa,euro or something?

Won't be any worse then any of the other white cars getting around, will just have to look after it a bit better :)
Yeah from what I've been told it's the earlier zenki front end. Read earlier posts to see someone pull me up on it 'cause I buggered up and said it was kouki lol.

burcoty
5th December 2012, 02:22 AM
So here's an update of what's been happening over the past few days:
I finished pulling all the dash support, steering column and wiring out.
Then I removed the and cleaned up the rust and brake fluid in the drivers foot well. Before:
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/04/sygapuvu.jpg
After:
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/04/he6yjy5a.jpg
At this stage I was sick of doing that so I started removing the engine.
Got about half way when I noticed the drivers chassis rail was bent. Bellow is taken straight from the off-topic thread where I first complained about it.

This is what it is supposed to look like:
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/03/y5u4ehyb.jpg
This is what it does look like:
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/03/6amy4avy.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/03/da6atuqy.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/03/jebezy5y.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/03/ze6y4ane.jpg
And this is all I spotted first which is why I thought it was just a glancing blow.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/03/dyta2y9u.jpg

After I seen that I went from being on a high with things progressing to rock bottom thinking that it was unrepairable and that all my hard work on this shell was for naught.

But I got on here, had a rant, and was informed that it could be fixed and not to stress to much. Just wanna say thanks again for that guys :)

So down to the local panel beaters I went and had a chat. They sent out a mechanic to look it over and after doing so he told me it's repairable and should only take him a day or so.

So I've finished pulling out the engine, wiring and all other bolt-ons In the engine bay and chucked the steering column and dash support back in so that It can be moved around. Only things left to cone out are door trims and glass.
when i get home door trims will cone off then I'll be dropping it off to sheen at 8am.
After I get it back all the glass will come out and it'll get carted off to the painter on Thursday.

Finally here's how I got to the underneath :p
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/04/a7y9asyd.jpg

Tyrone.

shift_rook
5th December 2012, 09:09 AM
Good progress, shame about the rail. Certainly putting some love into it.

burcoty
5th December 2012, 09:59 AM
Just got back from dropping the car off at the panel beaters. Probably gonna set me back around $600, which in turn will probably set back getting coilovers another week (sorry Chris) :)
And thanks, I'm really excited to see stuff happening after so long of waiting.
I'll be super motivated once the paint is finished. :D

burcoty
6th December 2012, 02:40 AM
Car was ready by lunch and as I thought It was $600. It's kind of annoying because I feel like he jacked up the price after I told him that if it was around $500 I would be happy. Reason being that in the conversation I had with him when initially inquiring he had said that if it only took a few hours it would be around $250 but if it took the whole day then it would be $5-600. The car was only there 4 hours.
On top of that they ripped the front tow hook right off the chassis. I didn't notice till I got home and they didn't mention it, mind fix it. A simple apology would've sufficed but got nothing.

So basically I'm going to have to ask Vue and see how much he'll charge me to fix it up.
I swear if my missus realizes how much this is costing she's gonna flip :/

Regardless of all that though I'm still pretty excited that it's going to the painters today. :D

shift_rook
6th December 2012, 09:46 AM
If they broke it i believe they should be the ones to fix it, payment shouldn't be needed.

burcoty
6th December 2012, 10:35 PM
If they broke it i believe they should be the ones to fix it, payment shouldn't be needed.

I agree but at the same time the fact they did it in the first place shows a complete lack of respect and poor work ethic imho.
I would rather someone else do it then let it re-enter their workshop.
Also at the end of the day these places work a lot off word of mouth for getting business and I'll be telling anyone who's interested to steer clear.

Update:
Finished stripping the few things that were left on the car this morning; door trims, roof lining etc. Then carted the shell down to Vu at D.T panels.
After chatting to him for a few hours it was agreed that he would do the following:
Respray the outside in the inverted panda scheme inc door jambs, inner guards and engine bay.
Minor repairs on the front and rear bars.
Remove front clip (radiator supports etc.) From a half cut and re-stitch it to my shell.
Seam weld engine bay
Roll front and rear guards to fit 15x8.5s with +-0 offset (what he's running on his). Although I have to have a chat to Chris @ shockworks an make sure they'll clear the shocks, if not I'll have to settle for 15x8 with -5/10 offset I think.
Organize new windscreen as the old one has to come out anyway.
Fix the tow point (he included it in the price of the front clip :D)
Estimated time of completion is mid January which suits me as it takes the strain off my finances (which are only that way due to my impatience lol)
I personally think the pricing is reasonable and the quality of the work on the other cars that I seen seemed to be very good ^-^
Also the stuff I've ordered off Craig should be here mid next week which now includes aforementioned half-cut.
Gotta say I'm getting pretty excited atm hehe

Next update when Craig's stuff arrives.
But in the meantime I'll try to get some work done on the track hack so watch that thread for updates shortly :)

Tyrone.

shift_rook
7th December 2012, 09:40 AM
They'll fit. :)

burcoty
21st December 2012, 12:48 AM
So a little has happened since last update:
Paid for the coilovers, just gotta pick them up.
Ordered 2 bride gias replicas
Bought Braided brake lines
Spoke to AJPS and ordered a heap of stuff:
Adjustable panhard rod
Adjustable tie rod ends
Cusco engine and gearbox mounts
Trailing arm bushes
Front and back swaybar link and D bushes
Dash mat
T-50 shifter kit
And a front end kit which includes:
Super pro LCA bushes (in ajps specified 93a duro)
Super pro caster rod bushes
Super pro/AJPS rack mount bushes
Lock spacer
Slim line Ball joints
Rack ends
Slim line tie rod ends
Rack boots

Also bought almost all the same stuff for the track hack :p

Last thing, the pallet from Justjdm should hopefully arrive tomorrow so will update again when it gets here.

Tore
21st December 2012, 08:31 AM
This will be a high-spec trackbanger when finished! Cant wait for the end result :)

Also, not to jack your thread, but I have a question or two:
I see you have the same motorlift as me (Capable of 2000kg), I was just wondering if it lifts high enough to get a 4A motor (Without tranny) clear of the car without any banging around or tricks needed? My 86 currently has no engine head on the block, so I use the head bolts for lifting it out (And should provide with more leverage), so I was just wondering if there is much space to play with here :)

The lift also sits lower on the ground than the car because of extremely uneven concrete floor in the shed/building, so I`ll put some planks under the rear wheels of the lift to hopefully level out the height differences a little.

Matt
21st December 2012, 09:05 AM
Will do it easy...

mcBen
21st December 2012, 07:18 PM
farkin hell this is coming along so quick, keen as a lima bean for post-paint pics :))

burcoty
21st December 2012, 11:59 PM
This will be a high-spec trackbanger when finished! Cant wait for the end result :)

Also, not to jack your thread, but I have a question or two:
I see you have the same motorlift as me (Capable of 2000kg), I was just wondering if it lifts high enough to get a 4A motor (Without tranny) clear of the car without any banging around or tricks needed? My 86 currently has no engine head on the block, so I use the head bolts for lifting it out (And should provide with more leverage), so I was just wondering if there is much space to play with here :)

The lift also sits lower on the ground than the car because of extremely uneven concrete floor in the shed/building, so I`ll put some planks under the rear wheels of the lift to hopefully level out the height differences a little.
Slide the bar out to 250kg and you could probably lift the engine over the roof. :)
I wouldn't stress about the back wheels at all since they lift off the ground when lifting normally anyway. Only the front 4 need to be stable. Also I'd make it so you can move the car once the engine is up cause these aren't the easiest to move around with an engine hanging off 'em :p

Oh and this ones my daily ;)

farkin hell this is coming along so quick, keen as a lima bean for post-paint pics :))
Your not the only one haha. Fck I hope it turns out ok, 'cause if it doesn't... :banghead:

Oh and I received some sex today :D
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/21/y6e3yzas.jpg

dove grey 64
23rd December 2012, 10:46 PM
good build thread so far, dont normally see them happening this fast.
spoken to vu at dt to see how its going? i might have to do a drop by and get a sneak peek

burcoty
23rd December 2012, 11:34 PM
good build thread so far, dont normally see them happening this fast.
spoken to vu at dt to see how its going? i might have to do a drop by and get a sneak peek

Haha yeah, but the speed comes at a cost...

I dropped in to see Vu recently, payed for half of my job up front (didn't have to but better in his hands then mine.. trust me)
He won't start work on mine till start of new year which is fine cause my pallet of stuff hasn't arrived from justjdm yet which has the front clip on it that Vu needs.

burcoty
28th December 2012, 03:30 PM
So just got off the phone to toll.
My pallet from justjdm will be delivered on Monday

Yay! (dances)

I'll start cleaning up the engine soon, so look forward to that :D

maxhag
28th December 2012, 11:09 PM
impressed....... :)

burcoty
28th December 2012, 11:29 PM

But I won't be bringing this one to Raleigh haha :p

sundee
4th January 2013, 01:09 AM
Something else hiding away in your shed perhaps?

burcoty
4th January 2013, 02:21 AM
Haha I don't have a shed D':

But I'll be bringing the track hack,
This one will have cost me a tad too much to go and stack it at my first track day.

I'll use the other one to learn and when I'm a bit more confident I'll take this one out. :)

Oh and I've paid for Raleigh so now I just have to work out how i'm actually getting there...
Can't say I'm liking the $850 one way transport quotes atm :(

sundee
4th January 2013, 02:57 PM
say what!

got a tow car?

burcoty
4th January 2013, 03:47 PM
say what!

got a tow car?

yeah and even more if it's got parts in it :(
I'm looking at other options atm but I won't get away with taking to long off work which makes it a bit more difficult to drive.

I'll work something out though :D

burcoty
4th January 2013, 04:10 PM
Small update:
Pallet from justjdm arrived woo (dances)
Unfortunately due to the heat (42ยบ ) all I've done is unwrap, have a looksie and then run back to my aircon haha :p
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/01/04/y2eza7a8.jpg

mcBen
4th January 2013, 04:35 PM
Weak.. I'm welding in this heat

When will paint be done?

sundee
4th January 2013, 05:02 PM
oww i love deliveries ;)

burcoty
4th January 2013, 05:10 PM
Painter is in Japan atm, as soon as he gets back I'll take that front clip in the pic to him and work will begin.
Should be done by the end of the month, maybe sooner ^_^
After that it'll be a matter of bringing it home, fitting engine installing coils and test fitting rims then taking it to get exhaust done and finally get suspension accurately set to be legal; 105-110mm.
Put it all back together, get reg and roady.
Only thing left after that will be interior. My dash is pretty good but might get it re covered, carpet and front seats will be new so mainly trims, rear seats and boot.
Also have a decent sound system to install which I will be ensuring is easily removable for spirited driving ;)

burcoty
21st January 2013, 01:53 AM
So due to my personal life things haven't happened as they should have.

Regardless of that crap though things are still progressing.
I dropped by the painters a few days ago to drop off some stuff and thet were in the middle of fixing up my front end so I took a sneaky pic to throw up here.

Unfortunately its on my comp at home and I didn't realise till I got this far in writing this post.... will throw it up later so check back :)

Car should be getting paint any day now if it hasn't started already so updates on that shortly ^_^

burcoty
21st January 2013, 10:12 AM
So just dropped by D.T panels
Progress!
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/01/21/epuvyqug.jpg
This was all bent up :)
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/01/21/2upe4e4y.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/01/21/ujubazy5.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/01/21/unyry4yh.jpg
Working on the tailgate and front bar.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/01/21/2yty7a3u.jpg
Front clip installed
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/01/21/ety6e5ys.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/01/21/vegatyzy.jpg
Bay seam welded..
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/01/21/nany7aja.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/01/21/dygu2a4e.jpg
Stay tuned ^_^

burcoty
2nd February 2013, 08:50 AM
More stuff has happened/ arrived
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/02/02/emeruraj.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/02/02/3a5yby8e.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/02/02/bavyjyqu.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/02/02/utu8u4u9.jpg
If I'm lucky when I go today the bottom will have been painted and I will be able to update again.
Time will tell.

burcoty
24th February 2013, 07:55 AM
Small update:
Bought some seat rails and whitelines.
Thats all thats happened haha! :(

Still waiting for the paint to be finished and suspension bits from ajps.

Only major things left to buy that I can think of are:
Bucket seats ~$800
Exhaust ~$1000
Reg and roady ~$700
Carpet ~$200
Wheels & Tires (5) ~$1500

So $4200 left. Revised approximate time of completion: 5th April. Maybe a week sooner :p

God I can't wait. For all the crap that been happening lately I really hope this shit just goes smoothly from now!

mcBen
26th February 2013, 03:36 PM
Jan speed exhaust for sale right now, heard good things

burcoty
26th February 2013, 04:38 PM
Exhaust will be custom. Tucked up high so I can lower it as much as possible legally.
Thanks for the offer though :)

burcoty
16th March 2013, 07:10 AM
Another small update...
Still waiting on paint and ajps.
New charcoal carpet purchased.
Wheels and tyres purchased, tyres should arrive early next week but rims arrived on Wednesday ^_^
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/03/16/5ysagy7a.jpg

Hopefully I don't have to wait too much longer. Time will tell.

dan.91
17th March 2013, 10:16 PM
Good progress man! But boy oh boy that is one filthy dirty panel shop hahaha

burcoty
22nd July 2015, 06:03 AM
Sooo.... kinda a dead thread revival with this lol....

I had semi gave up on this project due to losing my job and the many issues/ hiccups that got in the way. motivation was zero and as such it has sat in my back yard for the last coupla years like this:
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/5/0/9/5/545213.jpg (http://s116.photobucket.com/user/kile_98/media/Ae86%20Road/11781597_10152873820820947_5817290176262520106_n_z psyntetbxo.jpg.html)

I have however just bought a new one with a nice little setup installed:
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/5/0/9/5/545214.jpg (http://s116.photobucket.com/user/kile_98/media/Ae86%20Road/10492008_10203215349238736_2569372675265395250_n_z psg8os1jep.jpg.html)
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/5/0/9/5/545215.jpg (http://s116.photobucket.com/user/kile_98/media/Ae86%20Road/1394253_10201319735689582_109998760_n_zpsyasx97r5. jpg.html)

So, here's the new plan...
Take the best of everything and install them on my new baby, get rwc and rego and just enjoy her!
The list off the top of my head so far is;
Get the rear fenders blended
Get a pair to the recaro
get her tuned
swap in my brand new shockworks, put the set in her into the other one
swap over the front ends and hatches (mines had the lock shaved)
new ally radiator to go in
power steering rack and pump
w55 with samq adapter and custom tail shaft to be installed. 3puk soft button clutch to suit.
disk to disk kouki t series lsd
reco brake master with steel insert
braided lines all 'round
new windscreen
any bushes that need replacing with new urethane compliments of ajps
rear seat re-trimmed
decent sound system installed
samq rwd thermostat and heating system re-installed. (fan, heater core and piping not there)
ecu location neatened (currently affixed to rear of glovebox)
Headlights modified (i have some ideas to modernize the originals)
some compact floodlights to be sourced and installed for night driving

The current inverted panda 86;
put back into the paint shop, have a small amount of rust removed and plated then re-sprayed white with the levin front end installed
20 valve sivertop running a microtech, individial coils and other samq bits will be installed and the car will be re-assembled along with all the remaining goodies to the best condition possible with the parts I have available.
I will then advertise and sell it for a reasonable price so that i may recoup some of the expense my new baby is racking up :p

Anyhow, that's all i have time to write for now, stay tuned for the many updates in the coming weeks!

P.s I will eventually respray the new baby in the inverted panda scheme also, i think it looks amazing and as far as i'm aware i'm the only person with it.

Matt
22nd July 2015, 07:16 AM
Wb am glad you haven't given up on it.

maxhag
22nd July 2015, 08:25 PM
Good to see you're back Ty......

wookster
23rd July 2015, 09:03 AM
Was wondering who picked the 86TEQ Sprinter up! Nice one

burcoty
7th August 2015, 12:52 AM
So work, family an uni has been keepin me busy but there's been some progress still;
Fenders removed and guards spot welded together, rust treated and then sealed..
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/5/0/9/5/545363.jpg (http://s116.photobucket.com/user/kile_98/media/Ae86%20Road/20150728_160231_zpsbpqb7cez.jpg.html)
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/5/0/9/5/545364.jpg (http://s116.photobucket.com/user/kile_98/media/Ae86%20Road/20150728_160240_zpsogdrvlfx.jpg.html)
Fenders then reattached with glue/bonding agent and fuel flap extended as to sit flush with the overfenders.
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/5/0/9/5/545365.jpg (http://s116.photobucket.com/user/kile_98/media/Ae86%20Road/IMG_1833_zpsefbev9ln.jpg.html)
Fenders were then cleaned up and blended in to the natural body lines. As it sits now in undercoat awaiting paint..
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/5/0/9/5/545366.jpg (http://s116.photobucket.com/user/kile_98/media/Ae86%20Road/IMG_1946_zpslxzvlm0l.jpg.html)
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/5/0/9/5/545367.jpg (http://s116.photobucket.com/user/kile_98/media/Ae86%20Road/IMG_1945_zpscqqckbzi.jpg.html)
I also test fitted the new wind visors..
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/5/0/9/5/545368.jpg (http://s116.photobucket.com/user/kile_98/media/Ae86%20Road/20150728_160316_zpsxdl2ryyt.jpg.html)
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/5/0/9/5/545369.jpg (http://s116.photobucket.com/user/kile_98/media/Ae86%20Road/20150728_160258_zpsesixpq7v.jpg.html)
Not super impressed with the finish on the corners but nothing worth stressin about.
That's all for now, fenders should be done early next week an then I'll start on the rwc items :)

burcoty
12th August 2015, 07:41 PM
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/5/0/9/5/545396.jpg (http://s116.photobucket.com/user/kile_98/media/Ae86%20Road/IMG_2096_zpslmopbrht.jpg.html)

Should be ready to pick up by Friday :thumbup:

burcoty
15th August 2015, 09:53 PM
Nothing's ever straight forward for me lol
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/5/0/9/5/545417.jpg (http://s116.photobucket.com/user/kile_98/media/Ae86%20Road/IMG_9063_zpstg75ddyh.jpg.html)
Car's not the original red as we assumed, custom paint needed to be mixed up. New estimated completion of this job is early next week :/

timbo
21st August 2015, 08:09 PM
DUDE! Where did you get the wind visors from!?

4doors
24th August 2015, 04:31 PM
Details on the fuel flap extender? Close up photos?

Guards look awesome by the way. Its such a nice look to keep that squarish 80's look with the extra width!

dove grey 64
27th August 2015, 08:32 AM
DUDE! Where did you get the wind visors from!?

They are from climare in the uk. We had a group buy of them a while ago. Can organise another one if we get enough interest but the aussie dollars pretty bad at the moment.
Ty you can trim around the edges if you want a flusher fit, i didn't bother. I think kurt did and they looked good.

burcoty
3rd September 2015, 10:06 PM
So work, family and uni commitments have prevented me from doing anything further with this but I get a week off uni in a couple of weeks and that's when I plan on getting this mostly sorted.
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/5/0/9/5/545602.jpg (http://s116.photobucket.com/user/kile_98/media/Ae86%20Road/received_10152934459900947_zpsslym1ywm.jpeg.html)

I'll grab photos of the fuel cap extension tomorrow and upload, it's fairly basic atm but will be neatened up later on :)

Stay tuned :P

burcoty
16th September 2015, 02:21 AM
Sorry for the delay, here's the pics of the fuelcap extension.
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/5/0/9/5/545688.jpg (http://s116.photobucket.com/user/kile_98/media/Ae86%20Road/20150915_095712_zpsfcj4cmmd.jpg.html)
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/5/0/9/5/545689.jpg (http://s116.photobucket.com/user/kile_98/media/Ae86%20Road/20150915_095629_zps6upgm1dn.jpg.html)

I plan on doing a fair bit of rwc stuff this week if I get time so will update as I go.
stay tuned lol :yeah:

4doors
16th September 2015, 01:15 PM
Ah yes. That makes sense. Very good and thank you.

Looking forward to seeing more progress, as I bet you are too.

timbo
18th September 2015, 08:39 PM
They are from climare in the uk. We had a group buy of them a while ago. Can organise another one if we get enough interest but the aussie dollars pretty bad at the moment.

Ah bummer! I've been searching high and low after seeing some on ebay a while back. Thanks, would be interested but will have a google anyway.

burcoty
19th September 2015, 03:51 AM
So, just a short update, I've not been able to work on the red 86 and instead have invested 2 days into getting the inverted panda sorted so I can send it off for paint. Unfortunately I haven't acheived as much as I would have liked but due to other commitments I've had ta call it quits for the night.
I'll upload pics later but basically I stripped the engine/ box/ fuel tank and entire loom out of it and then transplanted the engine/ box, fuel setup and entire loom from my track car into it.
After more then a few hiccups along the way I've called it quits after hearing it fire up. I'll try to invest some more time on the red one over the coming weeks but this one takes priority atm so I can get it sorted and sold.
With that I'm out for the night.
Stay tuned :p

burcoty
22nd September 2015, 08:11 PM
So, I haven't taken many photos over the past week as i went but here's what I have..
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/5/0/9/5/545709.jpg (http://s116.photobucket.com/user/kile_98/media/Ae86%20Road/20150916_153311_zps3xalewy7.jpg.html)
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/5/0/9/5/545711.jpg (http://s116.photobucket.com/user/kile_98/media/Ae86%20Road/20150916_153224_zpsp4zxsufl.jpg.html)
Here's how she was sitting after having stripped out the bigport, gearbox and entire loom..

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/5/0/9/5/545713.jpg (http://s116.photobucket.com/user/kile_98/media/Ae86%20Road/20150922_153813_zps4otgugl9.jpg.html)
This is as she's sitting, 20v and box and complete wireloom from the track car swapped in, brake master installed, clutch master/line/slave swapped over. fuel tank and pump setup also swapped over.
engine bay fuel setup is temporary and will be neatened up later. Exhaust will also be swapped out for a better one using the 4 to one headers previously mentioned among other things.
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/5/0/9/5/545715.jpg (http://s116.photobucket.com/user/kile_98/media/Ae86%20Road/20150922_153716_zpss8m4tiz6.jpg.html)
This is how the Interior is atm, new carpet installed along with the heater box etc. lots more to be done here...

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/5/0/9/5/545717.jpg (http://s116.photobucket.com/user/kile_98/media/Ae86%20Road/20150922_153745_zpsj3lpmjdd.jpg.html)
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/5/0/9/5/545719.jpg (http://s116.photobucket.com/user/kile_98/media/Ae86%20Road/20150922_153756_zps9ewfdlo5.jpg.html)
This is how she's currently sitting, almost ready to return to the painters to be re-sprayed white. a few things still to be finalized before then however..

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/5/0/9/5/545721.jpg (http://s116.photobucket.com/user/kile_98/media/Ae86%20Road/20150922_153604_zpsn96o6c0l.jpg.html)
And as the front end is now on the other one, this is how the red one is sitting... it's only removing stuff but still a little bit of progress here too ;p

Stay tuned, will try and get some more done in the coming weeks..

burcoty
14th October 2015, 05:24 PM
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/5/0/9/5/558155.jpg (http://s116.photobucket.com/user/kile_98/media/Ae86%20Road/20151013_164436_zpsfqcttcav.jpg.html)
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/5/0/9/5/558156.jpg (http://s116.photobucket.com/user/kile_98/media/Ae86%20Road/20151004_184843_zpsg58rsn5b.jpg.html)
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/5/0/9/5/545713.jpg (http://s116.photobucket.com/user/kile_98/media/Ae86%20Road/20150922_153813_zps4otgugl9.jpg.html)
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/5/0/9/5/558157.jpg (http://s116.photobucket.com/user/kile_98/media/Ae86%20Road/20151013_164316_zpseyuxfay4.jpg.html)
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/5/0/9/5/558158.jpg (http://s116.photobucket.com/user/kile_98/media/Ae86%20Road/20151013_164342_zpsii3u07av.jpg.html)
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/5/0/9/5/558159.jpg (http://s116.photobucket.com/user/kile_98/media/Ae86%20Road/20151009_195727_zpsdnl8erby.jpg.html)

burcoty
14th September 2017, 12:25 AM
Looking like this project will be wrappin up for me and moving onto a new owner in the near future.. Will be sad to see her go [emoji37][emoji20]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170913/84bce8a852d04459b89e0e5975fa204e.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170913/a740582001efe38971e353743ad96938.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Fooly Cooly
14th September 2017, 10:41 PM
wow she looks great! why are you moving on? I love these little cars but they can sap you of money time and patients!! and in the end you haven't driven them that much!:yeah:

burcoty
13th October 2017, 05:55 PM
wow she looks great! why are you moving on? I love these little cars but they can sap you of money time and patients!! and in the end you haven't driven them that much!:yeah:I have 2 but not enough money to keep both. This one will be sold to help float me for a while, pay off some debts and maybe finish the other one if I'm lucky.

Will be getting this back from the painters tomorrow and have the 3 days mostly free this weekend so with any luck I'll make some decent progress this weekend and it'll be ready for sale not long after!
Also received some of the final pieces to the puzzle today, courtesy of samQ
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171013/e7139dcd72c29efd2d83367de63327b9.jpg

And a peek at what's to come
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171013/a2f2880604ce76f7df33035802dfae3e.jpg

Fooly Cooly
14th October 2017, 05:25 PM
very cool
looks clean!!

burcoty
15th October 2017, 11:54 PM
So, she got dropped off around lunchtime Saturday. Still needs to go back to the painters for some final touchups bit generally lookin pretty good!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171015/cb1da6b66a54acc0d656ef03a3b946a4.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171015/264db26d481f13cc66b07b710078c966.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171015/e80f29171d50ad77c8a3280e9da43e7b.jpg
This is how the engine bay looked as I had it setup to get around before. It's coming out for the prepped engine to go in.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171015/52988b9f18f85c2d2ad034ad3cb1cc53.jpg

burcoty
16th October 2017, 12:02 AM
Old engine is out and replacement engine is almost ready to go in.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171015/e327bee7c43a34e45fc0c43dc7bb3415.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171015/110c991da6439007887f1d7218b9a0dd.jpg

djscheppy
17th October 2017, 10:39 PM
Very nice. Paint job looks a treat!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

burcoty
18th October 2017, 12:59 AM
Engine is in, running well.
Just wanna relocate the fuel filter to neaten up the bay a bit more.
Unfortunately an exhaust stud snapped so gonna have to buy a stud remover an take it out before it's driveable again. Hopefully will have the exhaust sorted by the end of the week then I can book it in for a wheel alignment and move onto the interiorhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171017/1f71f45b707d186c537973099a076ae2.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171017/fa54b727dda85a4dd40e0fa8d95b2efb.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171017/39814845f72a93072f9a91084f55bec8.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171017/b1ef4a88fca2187ee7b9bee09538dc2e.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171017/5d012c9ad519f374844bfc57a1a7e7ca.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171017/296f892dae0c28d526218397bc0a68c7.jpg

burcoty
21st October 2017, 09:45 PM
Managed remove the broken stud and swap out the exhaust during the week so engine itself is pretty much sorted.
Need to make up a bracket to mount the overflow bottle but have installed it temporarily so I can drive the car.
Only a few things left remaining to be done in the engine bay now, need to install a thermo fan switch, install a washer bottle and relocate the fuel filter but other than that I'm pretty happy.

Need to bleed the brakes and have it booked in for a wheel alignment on Monday but haven't managed to make a start on the interior yet.
Hopefully will make some more progress in the next week or so!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171021/931413713b85d68f09a54cc58f1f41c1.jpg

Fooly Cooly
2nd November 2017, 10:26 PM
very nice mate!!! keep the updates coming
:wub: she looks great!

burcoty
19th November 2017, 02:01 AM
So, has been a month since last update, unfortunately haven't had as much time to make progress as I would've liked due to uni, work an family commitments but I've done what I can here and there.
I've relocated the fuel filter for a neater finish whilst still leaving it easily accessible.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171118/518f30162cea4ae2557f120301121926.jpg
I swaped the bleed valve and clutch line on the slave cyl because the line was touching the exhaust which has alleviated the issue.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171118/5141c73657c31258d57a31ddaa9c2436.jpg
Also filled in the hole in the front bar for a less noticable finish.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171118/21e08e3646ddbc7e28f9a7a7f0a75f37.jpg
Finally, I've removed the diff centre because it was whining even though it seemed to operate just fine. Looks as tho the crown an pinion is worn so I'll be enquiring into how much it'll cost to replace them an go from there.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171118/1c4a1451d5c29aa642d36fa7e74197e3.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171118/641d840e9b7a1da7ee831e5a09793e40.jpg

burcoty
17th December 2017, 03:09 AM
Another Month has passed an still not finished. Hoping to have this more or less completed by xmas but we'll see how my luck runs!

Replaced the crown and pinion gears in the diff and she's now blissfully quiet compared to before!

Re-Sealed the windscreen because it was leaking and even managed to get the top weatherstrip to sit relatively nicely!
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171216/3a15a691a4a9eaae9a5da3569877c38e.jpg

Interior is almost complete, will be removing the dash and Flocking it in the nect coupla days. Only a few bits and pieces left to prep and paint now!
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171216/086a3f013ec2570ecbd610efdec2c17d.jpg

Unfortunately Ive had issues with the bonnet and that'll need resprayed when the car goes back to the paint shop for final touchups but all in all she's almost there [emoji106][emoji4]

Dorifutokingu
18th December 2017, 05:57 AM
Such a beautiful, careful build. Amazing progress!

burcoty
18th December 2017, 07:23 PM
Finally managed to get around to flocking the dash! Unfortunately I forgot to take a before pic for reference [emoji47] Hopefully It still looks good once it's set an the excess has been blown off [emoji85][emoji85]
Still, pretty stoked with the finish so far!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171218/d625839e62cef58844b04bbf2df27bab.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171218/fefcd4daf6bfa432d328ef4cadb28d4f.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171218/419ce479d9e14002078f12aab94368c7.jpg

burcoty
20th December 2017, 10:32 PM
Dash is back in and sorted, just have to remove an paint the rear plastics now and the interior will be more or less complete [emoji106]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171220/1bc99ed0e3b2a3b4c9bc772af9367599.jpg

Having some trouble with cyl 2 losing spark, not sure if its wiring or a faulty coil. It's intermittent so will have to do some testing an pray its not a difficult fix lol

burcoty
5th January 2018, 12:37 AM
So, finally got a chance to work on this again a bit today. Accidentally left the ignition on an the battery went flat so that along with xmas etc. has kept me busy.
I swapped the coils around and am still having intermittent issues with cyl two so wiring is the cause. Pulled back the covering to see if there was anything obvious but to no avail so will have to troubleshoot further with a multimeter.

She's getting pretty close to being ready for sale now, will be organizing a visit to an auto elec soon to sort the wiring for the washer bottle, rear demisters and get the taco working as well as some other bits n pieces.

Still need to paint rear plastics an go back to the paint shop to repair some small damage and finishing touches.
Hoping by the end of the month it'll be ready to advertise!

ae8zn6
8th January 2018, 12:14 PM
I have been considering flocking my dash too. Black interior probably makes a difference to the overall look once flocked.

Do you mind telling us roughly what it cost? I assume you needed to fill cracks first too?

burcoty
19th May 2018, 11:47 PM
I apologize mate, life caught me up and I didn't realize you had replied [emoji17]

I picked up the flocking fibres on discount, for about $10 for 500g
Unfortunately they didn't have any black sealant to go with it so I just used rtv black silocone to bond the flock to the dash. Basically just squeezed it on and then smoothed it out with a small foam roller. Acuaully worked a treat imo and would look good enough to use without flocking if you just wanted to smooth out a shitty dash in your daily or the like.

The damage to this dash was minimal, only one crack an a coupla dings. I sanded the crack down level and just filled it with the silicon, you wouldn't know it was there.

As for more damaged ones, probably a good idea to fill the major holes with bog/filler. The silicon does a good job of removing the slight imperfections tho.

On one final note, if you're gonna do it this way, it works best if you can apply pressure to force the flock fibres into the bonding agent. I applied light pressure and used a clean foam roller and some paper to prevent lines forming, but the more pressure you can apply the better the finish [emoji106]
I have been considering flocking my dash too. Black interior probably makes a difference to the overall look once flocked.

Do you mind telling us roughly what it cost? I assume you needed to fill cracks first too?

burcoty
20th May 2018, 12:01 AM
As a general update, the car has just finished at the auto elecs.
The car now has:
A working stock tacho mated to the ecu
Working windscreen washers
Fixed rear demisters
Fuel pump safety cut off installed
Number plate lights

And also had the tune adjusted because it was running very rich and constantly fouling plugs. More could be done but the ecu is partially locked and only the fuel table is accessible, can't justify the cost of having it wiped and starting from scratch at this point.

Will be be booked in for engineering this coming week once I do a bit of shopping around and find someone who has experience with Shockworks coilovers.
Any suggestions for S.E Melbourne would be good [emoji106]

burcoty
7th June 2019, 11:29 PM
Over a year on, finalizing this project. Should be completed in the next couple of months once I've finished my Adv Dip.

Many things done in the last year including having the car go in for engineering and rwc check so I knew what needed doing.
As a result of that have had the following things done;
-new seat belts made up and fitted
-new clutch fitted
-differential disassembled and shims removed because they had transformed a good condition lsd into a near locked state causing shuddering
-wheel alignment done to remove shudder ~100km/h
-standard wheels refreshed and new rubber put on for rwc/ engineering purposes
-standard bonnet acquired, sandblasted and in undercoat ready for small amount of rust repair b4 paint, again for rwc/eng purposes
-fitted an chinamade/fleabay head unit to fill the hole and have some tunes when moving it about
-designed and 3d printed 1st iteration of an intake plenum with filter incorporated, will throw up some pics of that and will be redesigning to better fit.

Probably more that I'm forgetting but will throw some pics up over the coming weeks and then things will pick up come next month.

'Till then