PDA

View Full Version : Q: What is the Minimum length a tailshaft yoke, should sit on the gearbox spline?????

maxhag
23rd November 2012, 12:37 AM
Hey guys,

I just want to hear other peoples thoughts on this question.

What is the minimum length a tailshaft yoke should sit over the gearbox spline?

Car: AE71 Wagon
Engine and box - 4AGTE with W58

I have just converted a AE71 wagon to a 4AGTE with a W58 gearbox.......

Instead of getting a custom shaft made up (they cost $800 in Canberra), I wanted to use one of the huge pile of tailshafts I already have...
I found one close to what I need, and got the Yoke changed to suit the W58 spline.....

The yoke sits about 1.5 inches over the gearbox spline....
I think it should be enough length, but there is a fair bit of the yoke exposed...

It's always good to hear other people thoughts. Your opinion? Enough?

JoJo

jakel
23rd November 2012, 01:46 AM
Is that as a single piece or two piece with center bearing? I'd say it would be plenty with a 2 piece.

maxhag
23rd November 2012, 02:45 AM
I am using single piece custom shaft from a modified KE20, with a W series yoke (RT104 Corona)

meadan
23rd November 2012, 06:56 AM
For some reason Im thinking the yoke needs to be at least half engaged on the spline. Im not sure where I heard it, but its the only thing that comes to mind.

Otherwise, if you want to get another one made up, check my ebay link to GJ drivelines.
Email him and he will give you a quote.

I paid roughly 500 for my T50-r200 tailshaft, everything brand new. It only took 4 days from the quote to me receiving it too.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CUSTOM-3-TAILSHAFT-DRIVESHAFT-NEW-DRAG-RACE-FORD-HOLDE-/170430790029?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27ae77798d

maxhag
23rd November 2012, 10:32 AM
Yeah. thanks Adan......

At the moment, the yoke sits only about 1/3rd over the spline...

I checked that link.... Still gonna be $700, not much differance from what we pay here, so I would rather spend that at a local shop if I was to get it made.... Thanks for the link tho

ke_70
23rd November 2012, 12:40 PM
i just set mine up to sit halfway.

as an alternative, you can get a spacer made up for the diff flange. much much cheaper

dont get too conserned tho, you'll have a hard time trying to strip the spline out, they can take a massive shear force. shaft will break long before it.

nelpd96|
23rd November 2012, 03:04 PM
JoJo was going to say that same thing about a spacer. Might have someone that can make it up for you if you need I will just have to get some measurements and material.

Cheers
Paul

meadan
23rd November 2012, 05:28 PM
You have to send him an email to get a proper quote. The price on his ebay ad is for a specific tailshaft.

Otherwise yeah, a spacer would work fine. They use them in 4wds a bit, so if you get a decent one made up it would be sweet.

maxhag
23rd November 2012, 05:56 PM
Ok, Sounds good Paul......

Hen may possibly be a nut
23rd November 2012, 09:33 PM
I once screwed up the measurements for a tailshaft and ended up using a spacer on the diff flange to compensate. A couple of years later the tailshaft blew up on the dyno, most likely due to the spacer. I was lucky and it didn't do much damage, but I have also heard horror stories.

Surely it can't be that expensive to get your current shaft lengthened (I paid $250 to get a shaft lengthened and balanced, and that is in Denmark where everything is insanely expensive)

Skylar
23rd November 2012, 09:47 PM
Hah, I been quoted 200 to weld on an end and balance, and that's in Perth where everything is ridiculously expensive compared to the rest of the country.

ke_70
23rd November 2012, 10:11 PM
i just paided 270 to have my shaft shortened and new flange welded on.

hen was your spacer hub centric? i can't see it being much of a drama? could add some strange harmonics i guess???
1 peice tailshafts arn't really ideal anyway even more so in high revving setups.

Hen may possibly be a nut
24th November 2012, 01:30 AM
Yeah, hubcentric (had flange recesses that matched both diff flange and tailshaft flange). I suspect the bolts may have worked loose, possibly because the spacer was alloy, but I'm really just guessing. Let go at 6000RPM and the dyno operator was still pretty shaky when he rang.

Moral of the story for me was "spend the $200 and do it properly instead of spending three evenings making something borderline".

Futo_gt86
24th November 2012, 09:31 AM
Hen right, its not that big a deal to get extended.
I'm in the same situation with my Hilux conversion.
I got a quote for universal drivelines in Geebung, $200 to lengthen and balance, and mine is a 2 piece, which is more expensive to balance....