PDA

View Full Version : Shithouse Handbrake

luke20
27th November 2012, 08:15 PM
Hey guys. Just put in my T series diff into my ADM 86. and I noticed the handbrake is absolute poo. it barely slows the car down. Ive just put a brand new top cable on it and adjusted it at the shoes properly. It has 6month old drums and the shoes are fairly new too. My next step is pulling the handbrake cables off my old S series onto my T series. See if that helps.

Anyone got any other ideas. I'd love to hook up a hydro, but the old thing letting me down is where to mount/hide it so the cops cant see it :/

Hen may possibly be a nut
27th November 2012, 08:52 PM
Something's wrong. T series drums usually lock up well.

In general, adjust the shoes nice and close to the drums, adjust cables so there is SFA lever movement in the cabin. It may help to give shoes and drums a good clean in brake cleaner, and sometimes it takes a little while for pads and shoes to bed in together (though it sounds like this shouldn't be an issue here).

Also make sure you haven't adjusted the shoes too far out so they are rubbing constantly. Then they overheat and give you zero handbrake.

luke20
28th November 2012, 12:07 AM
Alright sweet as mate. Ill give it another look tomorrow arvo and see if I can fix it. Cheers for that :)

maxhag
28th November 2012, 03:41 AM
I have the same problem Luke.....

DR86FT
28th November 2012, 07:24 AM
I had this problem and just put the s series handbrake cables on the t series fixed it. But you need to adjust them alot if you r using it for drift. If you use them just as a park brake one time adjusting should do the trick

luke20
28th November 2012, 08:07 AM
I'm using it for drift. I'm going to do exactly that. Put my S series cables onto my T series. Maybe that will work.

DR86FT
28th November 2012, 08:21 AM
It will but cables stretch and brakes wear so adjusting is needed regularly that's why a hydraulic handbrake is better, I just don't know how they go with drum brakes

28th November 2012, 08:53 AM
S and T series drums have an automatic adjustment in them. This was often my problem on track. I think the adjusters move outward when using the brakes while reversing. Fine for daily use, but when you spin on track and step on the brakes hard they adjust too far, making the shoes rub, brakes overheat and you lose your handbrake. Also makes pulling the drums off a right pain in the arse.

But when adjusted correctly I've found both S/T series drums to be very good at locking the rears.

luke20
29th November 2012, 08:55 PM
So I put my S-series Cables on. Handbrake feels great, until you start moving... It still doesnt lock up the rears at all. Even when I reef it with 2 hands. The shoes are adjusted pretty much perfect and the handbrake lever is also adjusted good. Only If there was a good spot to hide a Hydro Handbrake. haha

DR86FT
30th November 2012, 11:09 PM
Pretty sure it's legal to keep the mechanical handbrake and have a hydro handbrake too or engineerable

30th November 2012, 11:46 PM
If you're thinking about a hydro I'd suggest going to ST141 Corona discs. Their internal drum handbrake is good. And you also get nice discs on the rear too.

Jacobxxx
1st December 2012, 05:47 PM
Are you putting the clutch in when you handbrake...

luke20
1st December 2012, 06:53 PM
Yes Jacob -__-

There's always one smartarse on every forum, isn't there. hahaha