PDA

View Full Version : 20v bt aftermarket ecus

dehney
3rd December 2012, 04:31 PM
just seeing what people are using in the aftermarket range of ecu's for there black top 20v.

cheers

Matt
3rd December 2012, 04:40 PM
Either sprint 500 Haltech or Adaptronic from Kaizen Garage are the ones most people use....

wideslider
3rd December 2012, 04:43 PM
I ran a Haltech on my BT20v, made 108rwkw and very streetable.

Frak
3rd December 2012, 06:41 PM
Autronic SM2

Delazy
3rd December 2012, 09:46 PM
^^ knew it would be either yourself, tim duncan or pat contributing the autronic suggestion lol

Frak
3rd December 2012, 10:01 PM
Because it's a great ecu, I've been running the same SM2 since about 1990, all it's had is processor upgrades and new laptop software to keep it up to date, I wouldn't use anything else.

dehney
4th December 2012, 07:19 PM
frak do many tuners in adelaide play around with the Autronic SM2 ?

benzo
4th December 2012, 08:50 PM
Jaustech

Delazy
4th December 2012, 09:00 PM
Because it's a great ecu, I've been running the same SM2 since about 1990, all it's had is processor upgrades and new laptop software to keep it up to date, I wouldn't use anything else.

still not set on which ecu will be used in my car...still sometime before i feel the need to decide...will hit you up for opinion and/or give you the absolute opportunity to convince me...either way it needs to have a racepak/motec/or other dash ability...

tim has told me numerous times how highly you speak of autronic however...while not a frontline option, i am open to suggestion...ps1000/motec of some description currently lead the charge pending wallet at the time...

Matt
4th December 2012, 09:13 PM
Best advice i was given was pick the one your tuner is most comfortable with... The price gap between haltech and motec isn't as great as it used to be now they have their new range.

Hen may possibly be a nut
4th December 2012, 09:29 PM
Blacktop 20V is not a complicated motor (no by-wire throttle, no continually variable cam timing, no other weird stuff). So any modern aftermarket ECU can run it, and how well it runs it will depend entirely on the tune. So as mentioned above one good approach is to find your tuner and see what they work best with.

Matt
4th December 2012, 09:41 PM
^^^

so true.... wolf3d and ems used to be the ecus of choice 5 years ago. My choice came down to ease of install and cost of tune.

Frak
4th December 2012, 10:43 PM
John, whether it can run dash/racepack etc should be down on your list, one thing Autronic has ALWAYS been good at is transient load point shifts(attack/decay), many other ecu's are not good at this. I have never seen a Wolf run good, always some running problem. I think Motec is good, if it were half the price, great marketing. The guy who owns Motec used to work with the guy who owns Autronic back in the day, the first Motecs, they had a split, Richard Aubert(Autronic) was the brains behind the opration. I was involved with aftermarket ecu's way back in the early days, I was working for a guy who has done so much R&D for Autronic over the years it isn't funny. When the original Motec split, the new Motec sent us an ecu(first Motec which used hand controller) it was crap couldn't get engine working proprly, Autronic was sent to us, half hour on engine dyno and engine was running sweet as. I was lucky to get in on the ground floor back in the day, my SM2 is so early it's actually a handmade prototype box, it's about 20 years old and still does traction, anti lag, launch control etc etc etc Look there are plenty of good ecus around now but go talk to guys who are doing some big hp/reliable race engines and a few brands always come up.

ke_70
4th December 2012, 10:51 PM
how do links stack up?
have been told they are the pick behind the autronics

Slimer86
5th December 2012, 06:55 AM
Search the net for Adelaide tuners who have tuned many clubmans, see what ecu they use and make a few calls.
Allen engineering (mallala) for autronic.

Matt
5th December 2012, 06:59 AM
Vipec are another newish player too...

Delazy
5th December 2012, 12:38 PM
One of the local guys have been running a VIPEC on his rb26 r32 gtst for awhile now, had nothin but issues...spent more money on tuning with various tuners and re wiring the car than he could count...replaced it with a ps2000 and not a single issue since...

Matt
5th December 2012, 01:44 PM
That also enforces the "buy what your tuner knows"...

Jason Purcell (qld guy) uses VIPECS on all his builds without issues... 2zzgte , 1jzgte , ej25 etc...

SamsTA22
5th December 2012, 06:27 PM
Vipec are another newish player too...

Vipec aren't technically new. They're just Link ecus with a different sticker, and a bigger price tag.

ke_70
6th December 2012, 12:52 PM
popular more in the us arn't they?