PDA

View Full Version : Registeration (in NSW) involving a QLD Mod plated JAP import

erik
4th December 2012, 02:34 PM
So just over a year ago i purchased a 86 trueno from the Gold Coast from a Girl 8|. Flew up with a mate from sydney and drove it back in less than a day. That whole day was a win IMO, until i found out how difficult it is to actually register the bastard.
It was QLD mod plated as a 2 seater, having after market seats (bride brix) and nothing in the rear expect ofcourse a 4 point rollcage.
Anyway, i basically stripped it down and rebuilt it while repairing several dodgy sheberights and welding/bogging as usual with most hachi's these days. Now I have to comply with the ADR's including;
-intrusion bars in the doors (luckily 'borrowing' my mates ADM doors)
-ADM seat belts with the ADR symbols (even though they're the same as JDM)
-replacing the hatch with another that had no duck wing covering the key hole
-wheels that arnt 14x8 buddy clubs.
-Putting a Cat in the Exhaust (=^.^=)

- and many many more things:sleepy:

As far as im aware i have to get this thing engineered by a certified engineer from the RTA.
then blue slip then green slip then all good.:))
My question to y'all is whether anybody has ever done something as painful as this, and how much did it cost you?

Matt
4th December 2012, 09:42 PM
Yep.... been there and lets just say it still hurts quite a few years later even thinking about it.

erik
4th December 2012, 11:24 PM
Yep.... been there and lets just say it still hurts quite a few years later even thinking about it.

Please do explain.
too much effort or money or both?

Rice86
5th December 2012, 09:47 AM
Yup, bought a levin coupe from south Australia, $11 000
Was told it needs to bE engineered then blue slip can come after, car had mod plate from SA and only two seated so finding back seat belts for a coupe was a mission and gave up, bought a ADM shell for $2000 and transferred everything over, sold off the coupe shell as i didn't have any use for it

johl
5th December 2012, 10:01 AM
from what i have been told the compliance process in tasmania is alot easier than most other states, if that could be an option for you?
also some people have just plate swapped an adm vin onto the coupe and simply registered it after this. obviously the legalities of this are dodgy at best and imo it will affect the value of the car if you chose to sell it and it could send you to jail/big fine

erik
5th December 2012, 11:18 AM
I keep coming close to "fuck it, sell it" because of the amount of time, money and effort something like this takes. But that 86 love is always just enough for me to conclude that i've come this far i shouldnt give up. Its been a massive learning experience however, I'd suggest to anyone thinking about buying mod plated imports to strongly consider otherwise.

Matt
5th December 2012, 03:31 PM
from what i have been told the compliance process in tasmania is alot easier than most other states, if that could be an option for you?
also some people have just plate swapped an adm vin onto the coupe and simply registered it after this. obviously the legalities of this are dodgy at best and imo it will affect the value of the car if you chose to sell it and it could send you to jail/big fine

You've got to be stupid for even considering that...

My issue was that a mod platted car from qld didn't mean it would pass engineering in sydney... was an rx3 with a 13b turbo in it that could no longer be engineered due to changes in the power to weight rules. I ended up selling it back in qld 3 years after i purchased it.

There are a few engineers down Nowra / Wollongong way who are reasonable and the cage is somewhat easy to engineer providing it doesn't obstruct your vision too much.

erik
5th December 2012, 03:47 PM
yeah im down in wollongong, I've only heard bad things about engineers down here. Wish me luck =s

Matt
5th December 2012, 04:53 PM
A guy i goto tafe with engineers cars, i'm not sure what his workshop is... If you are still looking for one in a month and a bit i'll get his details....

t-nol
5th December 2012, 05:31 PM
If it's been registered in Australia, then you should just need a Blue Slip, if you want to run the risk without an engineers certificate.

erik
5th December 2012, 05:39 PM
Matt: Hey yeah, ill let you know if i need that. I may in about a month i reckon but i may have another engineer taking a look.

Needs to have compliance because its never been registered in NSW, also because if a cop pulls me over and says 2 seats and a roll cage, i can shove the engineers cert. in his face.

meadan
5th December 2012, 06:15 PM
Yeah the modplate means nothing in NSW.

If it was complianced at a national level (new VIN number been given etc, I think the old 15 year rule and RAWS compliance covers this) then there should be no issues between states.
But if it is complied at a state level (modplate, blueplate, just registered with import papers) then it means nothing in NSW.

Some engineers may take into consideration engineers papers from interstate or the blue plate, but I doubt they will be too lenient.

erik
5th December 2012, 06:27 PM
Yeah the modplate means nothing in NSW.

If it was complianced at a national level (new VIN number been given etc, I think the old 15 year rule and RAWS compliance covers this) then there should be no issues between states.
But if it is complied at a state level (modplate, blueplate, just registered with import papers) then it means nothing in NSW.

Some engineers may take into consideration engineers papers from interstate or the blue plate, but I doubt they will be too lenient.

Have you or anyone, got any idea what i should expect to pay to engineer a 2 seater 86 with a rollcage?

meadan
5th December 2012, 06:29 PM
well it would be engineering for compliance yes?

Id budget $1500 and then go speak to someone and see how much they actually want to do it. It really depends who you see and what mood theyre in and how much they want to rip you off :)

erik
5th December 2012, 07:24 PM
hopefully i get lucky because i saved about that much.

s13 james
5th December 2012, 07:26 PM
a engineers cert isnt a get off free ticket,end of the day, they gona get you if he/she feels like it,is it a daily?mine rarely see's the streets but on the odd drive its a worry having cage,stripped interior,fixed backs etc not fun,i drive with some guys from the gong time to time and the local spots are pretty hot at the moment

erik
5th December 2012, 07:42 PM
i understand the point you're making however, my seats are reclinable, everything is fully carpet covered (customed job with very good help from girlfriend).
Legal heights and wheels, so they can only pick on me for having a roll cage, which when i show a engineers cert. they shouldnt have anything. Unless ofcoarse i just did something naughty...

lolwat
5th December 2012, 07:53 PM
pre 88 i think it is(or 84 but i think 84 is trailers) doesn't need compliance, just engineers report, have done galants like this before

if the car was complianced, the car would not pass with a cage and the seats unless you got something "sorted", if its complianced, dont bother changing seatbelts to one with ADR one them, you dont have to have a back seat as long as your remove the seatbelts as well, if the guy trys to fail you on it, ask him to ring RMS hotline, they will tell him to pass it as a 2 seater(had big argument with boss over this with my car)

and yes as James said eng cert doesnt get you off, popo can defect you for everything on your cert if they think/deem it illegal, it is up the blueslip(AUVIS) inspector to decide whether the cert covers the modifications

erik
5th December 2012, 08:07 PM
pre 88 i think it is(or 84 but i think 84 is trailers) doesn't need compliance, just engineers report, have done galants like this before

if the car was complianced, the car would not pass with a cage and the seats unless you got something "sorted", if its complianced, dont bother changing seatbelts to one with ADR one them, you dont have to have a back seat as long as your remove the seatbelts as well, if the guy trys to fail you on it, ask him to ring RMS hotline, they will tell him to pass it as a 2 seater(had big argument with boss over this with my car)

and yes as James said eng cert doesnt get you off, popo can defect you for everything on your cert if they think/deem it illegal, it is up the blueslip(AUVIS) inspector to decide whether the cert covers the modifications

You're right its pre 1989, I might have to try and get something "sorted," i might have that chance with who i have helping me do this. A mate of mine that works down the road has helped get this together with me. He has met an engineer at work that is keen on helping us out. So with fingers crossed and a lightened wallet i might be able to make an ae86dc meet next year.
and fuck the popo!

s13 james
5th December 2012, 08:40 PM
haha thats it

lolwat
5th December 2012, 10:57 PM
not trying to state the obvious, try not to mention names/business that "sort" things out for people, NSW has had HUGE crack downs, we gotta keep those reasonable people hidden :)

Matt
5th December 2012, 11:08 PM
None of the guys i know are dodgey... as the engineer himself is now personally liable if they pass a car that shouldn't have been passed.

By reasonable, I mean they won't charge a bullshit amount to inspect the car. Though the pricing I was quoted from a guy at narellan was about $800 with a max of 2 inspections. The only reason it won't pass the 2nd one is if you don't listen and do what needs doing. I looked him up off the rta inspection register and cold called hiim about 6 months ago.

I've since met 3 other engineers and am waiting for the right opportunity to ask so, how much for a group booking of 5-10 cars.

A dodgey engineers cert is likely to be followed up with a defect from the police.

erik
5th December 2012, 11:50 PM
None of the guys i know are dodgey... as the engineer himself is now personally liable if they pass a car that shouldn't have been passed.

By reasonable, I mean they won't charge a bullshit amount to inspect the car. Though the pricing I was quoted from a guy at narellan was about $800 with a max of 2 inspections. The only reason it won't pass the 2nd one is if you don't listen and do what needs doing. I looked him up off the rta inspection register and cold called hiim about 6 months ago.

I've since met 3 other engineers and am waiting for the right opportunity to ask so, how much for a group booking of 5-10 cars.

A dodgey engineers cert is likely to be followed up with a defect from the police.

A dodgey cert. also means its a dodgey car, however this is something that has been given 13months of by the ADR book building. Any engineer will be getting a thorough inspection, i'd proudly show them my list of ~100 things that needed to be changed/fixed.
Its been painful however, im nearly finished.