PDA

View Full Version : Importing an AE86 from Japan for parts - Who can help?

bergs86
9th January 2013, 11:00 AM
I've recently acquired a clean rustfree ADM rolling shell. It has however been partially stripped interior wise for track duties.

I would like to put a JDM black interior in it, and thinking buying the peices bit by bit off Yahoo Japan may be a costly exercise.

I am thinking of importing a ae86 from Japan to wreck. Something with rust/or damaged.

I have no idea where to start so if anyone has some contacts or could point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.

Any information or help is welcomed.

Thank you for your time

Kind Regards,
Luke

Matt
9th January 2013, 12:11 PM
Craig from JustJDM or even Jessee Streeter

Delazy
9th January 2013, 12:33 PM
I don't believe Jesse is too involved in the car side of things...most definitely parts, but cars are another matter all together...

McLEVIN
9th January 2013, 02:18 PM
Ewan Paterson at Hayatonka should be able to help you out

bergs86
9th January 2013, 02:35 PM
Thanks for the help so far.

This was Jesse's response

"couple of catches I can see would be...

1. they are pretty old and generally a rough shell means a rough
interior which would defeat the purpose of getting it sent over.

2. they are old enough to get import approval but I think the
clearance costs are still quite high for a car. If the items you are
after are not too bulky/heavy it might be an idea to buy the parts
separately and get them sent over by post.
But it really depends how much of the car you need to swap over. If
its just interior then parts might be a better/cheaper alternative and
give you the option of buying the exact condition/item you want."

I can see his point. Ideally I'd like to find a rusted out original car with a decent interior and just be able to pick the jewellery off it

slide86
9th January 2013, 03:58 PM
get import monster to cut the car you want in half and load the bits onto the half cut........

watch the mighty car mods episode on this and it will all become clear.

Doing this will give you a drivetrain and interior without taking up valuable container space.

johl
9th January 2013, 05:18 PM
its really not worth importing a car and paying for that much space in a container for the interior. as mentioned before ask craig at justjdm. he has a container coming and iirc there is a complete 86 in there that he may sell whole or part. either way im sure he will have what your after

bergs86
9th January 2013, 08:58 PM
Will do. Thanks Johl. I am after a few other bits and peices.

If I could get a completish car I may put a 4age in. Otherwise I'm just going sr20det

bergs86
9th January 2013, 11:15 PM
get import monster to cut the car you want in half and load the bits onto the half cut........

watch the mighty car mods episode on this and it will all become clear.

Doing this will give you a drivetrain and interior without taking up valuable container space.

This sounds like an option.

It's finding the car that will be the hard part.
I am in no rush, will be a while before I get the build underway. Just like souring the parts first.

hollywood89
9th January 2013, 11:16 PM
you wont get anything good quality cheap...you have to pay for what you want...especially if its god quality...

i would suggest, as a mate has already done so, wait for a jetstar special to tokyo (they rarely come up)...fly over check out the stuff in person...buy it and fly back with it in your luggage and the bulky stuff just get streeter to post it...or arrange tnt to move it to their local depot...thats your best bet in terms of getting what you want guaranteed...

it will be similar price to send it in a container...customs/quarantine clearance, other import fees...but you get a holiday to japan too

bergs86
9th January 2013, 11:23 PM
Haha I could defiantly do with a holiday to Japan.

I'll look into it. Just seeing what options are out there atm.

I'm prepared to wait for the right deal

Matt
9th January 2013, 11:39 PM
containers from japan aren't expensive... the headache of it makes it simpler to contact a guy that deals in it and let them deal with it. There are loads of companies out there.

85Kai
10th January 2013, 10:31 PM
I also recommend you contact Ewan from Hayatonka. I've known him for years and he's a really good guy. If it's out there he'll find it. He's got me stuff that was basically impossible to get. No item is too big or too small for him.

Matt
11th January 2013, 05:15 PM
Iron chef also springs to mind

bergs86
11th January 2013, 05:37 PM
Currently corresponding with Jesse Streeter and also Ewan from Hayatonka. :)

Thanks for the help :D