PDA

View Full Version : 4agte timing

adds
12th January 2013, 11:38 PM
Hey so I have some silly questions lol,

regarding timing on my 16v gte, now I understand how to do it no probs but I was reading somewhere that when you bridge terminals E1 and TE1 if your computer is throwing a code it could retard the timing a lot, is this true? I know mine will most likely be putting some codes out there by the way I wired it. And I have not bothered to put a CEL in.

another thing is that I don't have the bottom cover with the timing marks on it, is there any way to still set the timing without it, or do I have to find one?

cheers

Futo_gt86
13th January 2013, 07:27 AM
I'm not sure about the timing retard when bridged.
But, your using stock ecu, so you need to know what codes it throwing, and clear any majors to get out of limp mode.
CEL would be a good idea.

cooter
13th January 2013, 03:00 PM
doesnt it just take the timing back to base value when u bridge the terminals. ie whatever ur dizzy/cas is set to?

timbo
14th January 2013, 12:27 PM
Bridging puts it on base timing of 10 degrees, usually around 5 degrees less than un-bridged. So it does retard the timing; if you have a timing gun and used it on the timing marks the mark would move right when bridged. There is a timing mark on the oil pump which is used for TDC, but I would put the plastic cover on.

adds
14th January 2013, 12:39 PM
No worries, I guess i better just find one, make life eaiser. If the computer is putting a code out when bridging, when setting the timming, will it still be set on base timing (10 degrees) or does the code confuse it ?

Cheers

timbo
14th January 2013, 06:44 PM
Bridging is called diagnoses mode, so when the car is running it drops to 10 degrees and the check light will flash. You can have diagnoses mode whit the ignition on by itself.

adds
14th January 2013, 09:08 PM
Gotcha. Cheers for your help.