PDA

View Full Version : Rocker stoppers in sr20de????

sam92
20th January 2013, 06:41 PM
Hey I'm just wondering if I will need rocker arm stoppers in my sr20de (autech) as its going to get a fair flogging, or is this only necessary in a turbo sr?

sleeper_13
20th January 2013, 10:56 PM
Wouldnt hurt to, cheap and easy to install

lolwat
20th January 2013, 10:58 PM
if your going to bash limiter like a mad #### yes

Jacobxxx
20th January 2013, 11:07 PM
Buy tomei ones and then you can claim a tomei built motor.

genius

lolwat
20th January 2013, 11:26 PM

genius

sell???
Profit??

sam92
20th January 2013, 11:35 PM
Limiter fun times will happen haha , cheers for the info ill look into getting some. Pecky ive never heard of tomei who are they ?

Skylar
21st January 2013, 12:25 AM
Uhhh, when a rocker arm flies out would you rather:
1. it immediately smash into a piece of pre-bent steel, bend it and break into a few pieces
OR
2. Bounce around inside the rocker cover for a short time while you kill the motor and put the rocker back to where it came from?

Also, it's pretty hard to pop a rocker out. I bash mine on limiter forever and never had one pop out. No rocker stopper, stock ecu. No dumb Bee-R limiter. Oh, and collapsed lifters too, that are super loud. S13SR.

If you want to make a rocker stopper, you need to make a cage around the rocker so that the rocker can't go in any direction, left/right back or forward. More importantly, you want to keep the back end on the pivot.

maxhag
21st January 2013, 01:17 AM

genius

Really Jacob?
Arn't we trying to get rid of people posting stupid shit comments in the Tech questions.......

sam92
21st January 2013, 06:35 AM
Uhhh, when a rocker arm flies out would you rather:
1. it immediately smash into a piece of pre-bent steel, bend it and break into a few pieces
OR
2. Bounce around inside the rocker cover for a short time while you kill the motor and put the rocker back to where it came from?

Also, it's pretty hard to pop a rocker out. I bash mine on limiter forever and never had one pop out. No rocker stopper, stock ecu. No dumb Bee-R limiter. Oh, and collapsed lifters too, that are super loud. S13SR.

If you want to make a rocker stopper, you need to make a cage around the rocker so that the rocker can't go in any direction, left/right back or forward. More importantly, you want to keep the back end on the pivot.

Cheers for the info man, its something ill still consider doing at some stage. I won't be riding limiter like some people do so I should be fine.

Skylar
21st January 2013, 09:40 PM
Riding limiter doesn't kill or make then pop out. I sometimes redline the car and leave it on limiter for a for seconds because I feel like it. Sometimes I get a sweet POP! out the exhaust.

If you have the wrong limiter, you will break one the first time you hit limiter.

I think making sure you have the right oil (high moly/zinc) goes a long way. Cos I've done nothing other than for the motor and it's holding up after 220k km.

sam92
21st January 2013, 10:43 PM
Oh ok. Well it's an autech running stock ecu so you would imagine it will be fine?

I got oil and new filter today actually I got nulon 10-40 full syn

Skylar
21st January 2013, 11:55 PM
"All the current gasoline categories (including the obsolete SH), have placed limitations on the phosphorus content for certain SAE viscosity grades (the xW-20, xW-30) due to the chemical poisoning that phosphorus has on catalytic converters....
....Example; in API SG rated oils, this was at the 1200-1300 ppm level for zinc and phosphorus, where the current SM is under 600 ppm. This reduction in anti-wear chemicals in oil has caused premature failures of camshafts and other high pressure bearings in many older automobiles and has been blamed for pre-mature failure of the oil pump drive/cam position sensor gear that is meshed with camshaft gear in some modern engines."

Boom! Dump some molytec/liquimoly/comp cams cam break in additive in and have happy rockers/camshafts.

M1 5W-30 kills SR cams.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Car_Care/AskMobil/Synthetic_Oil_and_Tappets.aspx
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Files/Mobil_1_Product_Guide.pdf
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Car_Care/AskMobil/Flat_Tappet_Engines.aspx

Lastly, fuck buying nulon, it doesn't even come in the cool coloured orange bottle with the gold metallic anymore. lol (ran nulon in SR before, bought it because it was cheap and the bottle looked cool.)