PDA

View Full Version : Living in America

wideslider
7th March 2013, 12:36 PM
Hi guys,

I recently moved to Hollywood with my girlfriend and am amazed at some of the cars and race tracks in this place. When we first got here a bought a Chev Tahoe with a 350 V8 and justify it as fuel is stil only $3.90 a gallon (3.8lt to a gallon). I recently was lucky enough to buy a JSP built F20c boot back Trueno which has turned into my daily as it is so fun and cheap to drive. I started looking at tracks for drift and grip events and within an hour of LA there are about 6 tracks with entry fees for some at only $20 a night!!! I am yet to get out there but can't wait. The canyon roads are incredible also. I have been scanning the classifieds and forums here and some awesome cars exist at such little money. When they become 30years old they will legally be able to be driven as LHD back in Oz aswell or a rhd conversion would be relatively easy. I have attached a link to a trueno in Vegas for $5000.
http://club4ag.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=2781

It costs around $3000 to get it home but worth every penny.

If anyone needs any parts over here feel free to PM me to organise pickup or post.

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/7/7/6/505371.jpg

Delazy
7th March 2013, 03:11 PM
Might just take you up on that offer :p I've come across a few things I've wanted over the years to find the seller wouldn't ship outside of the US :) awesome to hear the move is working out for you

wideslider
7th March 2013, 04:31 PM
No worries mate, just let me know.

Jacobxxx
7th March 2013, 04:46 PM
Thats rad man!

Youll be able to send LHD ke70's over cheaper than what they are here LOL

Vaughn
7th March 2013, 06:30 PM
Sounds so good dude, you would be having a blast! You have work over there?

would love to go live in Merica for a bit and get a car over there and just drive the hell out of it.

Lol at Pecky!

MoNsTaR
7th March 2013, 07:20 PM
i used to live in florida, i loved it and miss it dearly.
one of the best parts is 89c burrito's at taco bell. haha.

just wait till you start going to other states, Southern states are the BEST, food is always awesome.

jakel
8th March 2013, 02:14 AM
I'd love to go over there and drive around everywhere. I would love to move there but no where to go or no idea where anything is, haha.

jakel
8th March 2013, 02:15 AM
What are the police like over there with modified cars? haha.

wideslider
8th March 2013, 06:01 AM
I havent been pulled over yet in the 86 but have spoken to a few cops about it and they said they rarely lift the bonnet of a car due to the smog laws in California. Each year or when a car is sold it has to go through a smog check which is like the epa so thats meant to pick up modified cars. There is a smog check check on every corner so it's a matter of time to find someone who will pass for cash.
I'm playing music over here so really burning savings so will need to start doing something with cars or parts to make some money.
If any of you are over this way and want to go to some tracks let me know and I'll be happy to show you around.
Booking a trip through Central America for next month where 2 door KE70s live.

JDMWheels
8th March 2013, 08:37 AM
Sounds awesome!

I wonder how much things like ae86 hubs go for over there! Hmmm!

AJPS
8th March 2013, 08:38 AM
Sounds awesome!

I wonder how much things like ae86 hubs go for over there! Hmmm!

about $120 USD when I looked

wideslider
8th March 2013, 10:47 AM
^yeah thats about right. A lot of cars run the grp4 CNC hubs from Ireland.

jakel
8th March 2013, 12:14 PM
86 stuff there is pretty cheap, I bought my JDM calipers for $55 delivered and were still very good condition, missed out on another pair that sold for $5, haha.

wideslider
9th March 2013, 04:45 AM
Check this cool Corona out

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/cto/3667329969.html

Ktas
9th March 2013, 09:03 PM
yes fucking please!

lots of custom going on there!

dove grey 64
9th March 2013, 09:23 PM
man i loved my time in vegas, i was probably one of the most anti american people i know when i went over, loved everything about it, such a surreal place to be. i try to explain to people that the american stereotypes you see on tv are not fictitious and your bound to meet many while over there. kind of like being in TV land.
of all the people i met, not one of them voted for bush (this was back when bush was in)
i'd go again for sure
back onto cars, you should try and see if you can get trueno front sent back over, and see how many levin front ends you can get sent to them as they want levins and most here want truenos

wideslider
10th March 2013, 06:32 AM
Ive already started collecting Trueno guards, bonnets and lights. They love Levin fronts but don't want to pay...

dove grey 64
16th March 2013, 10:16 AM
door trims and seats too

Seventy
16th March 2013, 10:26 PM
Does there seem to be much work over there? What kind of work is in high demand? Trades?

wideslider
20th March 2013, 10:46 AM
The minimum wage in California is $7.50 an hour and most people seem to be on that.. Not too sure about the job market sorry. Getting a Visa to work here is still next to impossible unless you win a greencard, have just finished uni or have a unique skill and can get sponsored.

jakel
20th March 2013, 11:08 AM
Apparently mechanics from Australia are good over there because we learn everything where as I've been told they only specialize in just one part or something? And someone else from work said if you want luck with the ladies go there, haha. Apparently they love the aussies over there.

Seventy
20th March 2013, 07:18 PM
^^ Yep, Ive heard both of these. Wouldnt mind going to live there for a bit myself