PDA

View Full Version : Help please ae86 20v not running right

lui90
12th March 2013, 02:02 AM
I purchased a 20v setup for my ae86 from someone off this forum i recently got it running and car is not running right for one issue is the alternator wire heats up really hot and smokes up and i changed alternator same problem also car when i try too drive it when accelerate too much the car doesnt wanna go anymore there a two plugs i found on harness that not connected i spoke too the previous owner of the engine apparently he gave me all the wiring its running an ems ecu can anyone help me out or recommend someone too bring the car too thats located in sydney thanks2838528386

Matt
12th March 2013, 05:16 AM
Should be fairly easy to resolve... Are you referring to the thick alternator wiring? Usually heat is a result of too much current in that the wires are too thin or poor connections.

If you don't have 14v across your batt terminals when running, the car will run like arse too... Unless the dead times have been setup correctly.

This package didn't come out of a gold sprinter did it? Reminds me of drews setup

lui90
12th March 2013, 09:23 AM
Yeah it did come out of drews old car did he have issues

Sam-Q
12th March 2013, 10:10 PM
the alternator is not independent in wiring to the ECU so any auto elect should be able to help you here

Matt
12th March 2013, 10:51 PM
looking at your picture those 2 white wires, they should be connected to the battery (most likely) and that would be the reason why your alternator is over heating, it would be charging through the sense wire which doesn't have the amperage...

Not unless they are left overs from when the 4ac was in there... and take a pic of the alternator side and post it up.

Do you own a multi meter?

Twisty92
12th March 2013, 11:33 PM
its always a good idea with these older engines to run new power wire from the alternator to the battery - i use 4 gauge wire and a fuse just after the battery ( you can get defected for no fuse!!)
and also run new engine and chassis earths :)
check your resistences and voltage drops kinda sounds like a dodgey/bad connection somewhere

lui90
13th March 2013, 01:11 PM
looking at your picture those 2 white wires, they should be connected to the battery (most likely) and that would be the reason why your alternator is over heating, it would be charging through the sense wire which doesn't have the amperage...

Not unless they are left overs from when the 4ac was in there... and take a pic of the alternator side and post it up.

Do you own a multi meter?

Yeah matt we did connect the white wire same problem that wiring was from the 4ac yeah my mate has a multi meter i forgot now how much it was charging

lui90
13th March 2013, 01:13 PM
its always a good idea with these older engines to run new power wire from the alternator to the battery - i use 4 gauge wire and a fuse just after the battery ( you can get defected for no fuse!!)
and also run new engine and chassis earths :)
check your resistences and voltage drops kinda sounds like a dodgey/bad connection somewhere

Thanks mate we were planning too test it with a new wire today going too give that a go and let use know how we go

lui90
13th March 2013, 06:27 PM
His some pics of the alternator wiring

Futo_gt86
13th March 2013, 08:54 PM
So this was 4AC before conversion....Have you taken the voltage regulator out of the equation?
http://imageshack.us/a/img836/8961/altzu.jpg

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/7/7/7/6/505927.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/715/alt2h.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

Looking at this 2nd pic suggests voltage reg has been deleted, just cut out and wires taped, or is that the stock wiring from the 4AC ALT?
Either way I would strip the loom on charge wires and see what is going on and clean it up.
Does the ALT lamp work properly on dash?

Is that the alt charge wire coming across the front of the motor to ANL fuse?

cooter
16th March 2013, 03:20 PM
u may have the ign and sense wires backwards. i did that in mine and the alt was charging at 15V for a couple mins. the wires got a lil bit warm. that or your internal reg is shat and the alt is over charging anyway

Futo_gt86
17th March 2013, 01:16 AM
Internal reg should be removed

EDIT, meant external, didn't read above post right

cooter
18th March 2013, 03:52 PM
nah the external reg will be removed. the 20v alts have an internal reg