PDA

View Full Version : Hyperpak on a 4age with Weber DCOE Carbs.

pt_y2k
23rd March 2013, 09:00 PM
Anyone on here ever fit one of the Hyperpak units from NZ on a 4a with carbs? It says in the instructions to set "Static Timing" to 15degrees? I've tried puttin the crank to 15 and dizzy at No1 and it will start put pops and farts. I've tried setting the bottom pulley to 0 and putting the dizzy in a tooth or 2 advanced and will start and idle, revs a bit better but still sounds like timings off. Any ideas?

Course_Out
25th March 2013, 03:42 PM
Hey mate - I used the Bosch version of the Hyperpak on my 4age running twin 40mm dellortos a few years back.

I had been told it would run fine, etc etc, but I had the exact same issues you are having now. Made no power, horrible to start, just a real dog. I was lucky enough to have a friend of a friend unearth a modified 4age dizzy (I think it had guts from a Magna dizzy or something?) that allowed vacuum advance. Ran much much better, although unfortuntely I never got it developed as much as I would've liked.

If i was to do the conversion again I would fit a standalone igntion system, such as an MSD or similar. Would've made my life much easier! Another alternative is to run an ignition only computer (I believe Microtech still does one) or you can trick the stock ecu into running just the dizzy (never entertained this one sorry, so don't know much about it)

Hope this helps

blair
26th March 2013, 10:31 PM
I dont see how that post could possibly help? telling a guy to throw something in the bin and start again?

I have a hyperpak, it made 108 horsepowers on a stock engine with weber 40's.

Have been PM'ing Paul, and recommended taking it into Brisbane tuning and turbo centre who sorted mine out quicksmart :)

Course_Out
28th March 2013, 12:43 PM
Sometimes throwing it in the bin and starting again is the best answer? If starting from scratch is the best move I'd rather find otu sooner rather than later....

In this case it seems not, which is good news for the OP

pt_y2k
28th March 2013, 10:14 PM
Cheers for the help Blair,got her running some way last night but still shitty enough,just down to the carbs now hopefully!

@Course out yeah i think id rather find the problem your having with something before throwing it in the bin,it would kill me not knowing...ha! :D

Cheers for the help!!

Golberg
29th March 2013, 01:54 PM
Just in case anybody is wondering.

The way to achieve best timing control on a carb 4AGE is actually to use a factory computer and have it run the ignition system but have no injectors connected.

It is far more precise at matching timing to changing load and RPM than any other aftermarket system out there.

pt_y2k
29th March 2013, 08:16 PM
And will the vacuum source for the map be good enough? What about TPS?

Golberg
29th March 2013, 08:37 PM
You don't need a TPS to control timing. Its used for fuel delivery.

I'd assume you'd need a balance bar connecting the runners to get a good vacuum signal.

Many of the AE86's in Japan I've seen with carbs have been done like this.

EFI is functionally better than carbs in every way though.