PDA

View Full Version : AE86/KE70 rear coilovers

furstydrft
25th March 2013, 01:16 PM
Hey guys have been looking into getting some stiffness in the rear of my ke70, I remembered hearing of people putting coilovers into the rear of their cars but it wasnt common, I was wondering which brands make the coilovers to suit and what needs to be done to put them into the rear.
Note: I know coilovers are stiff, dont tell me that, I've driven S chassis with over 10 grand of suspension work, including solid billet bushings, a ke70 will not get as stiff as that. Just please answer the question I asked

Jacobxxx
25th March 2013, 01:37 PM
https://technotoytuning.com/toyota/ae86/rear-coilover-conversion-ae86-corolla

http://www.mcnsport.com/shop/part.php?car=22&category=Suspension&part=3333

AJPS
25th March 2013, 03:02 PM
youre using the car for drift?

dove grey 64
25th March 2013, 03:16 PM
shockworks too, if your after a cheap stiffness upgrade why not just go for some falcon springs?

AJPS
25th March 2013, 03:21 PM
shockworks too, if your after a cheap stiffness upgrade why not just go for some falcon springs?

I think he wants an all in one coilover unit

furstydrft
25th March 2013, 03:24 PM
I've got falcon springs, cannot stand the lack of adjustability and crap damper control. Need something more aggressive. The car is currently a daily, but once this new motor is built and tuned im buying a second car and this will become a drift car

Gorgi
25th March 2013, 07:12 PM
To put rear coilovers in you must weld a fitting I think.

You can get ajps springs and coilover seats for the springs or adjustable seats.
Idk what there called.

Get yourself some stiff long springs and work with it.

AJPS
25th March 2013, 09:44 PM
yeah I can do a height adjustable rear spring set up

pm me

lolwat
25th March 2013, 09:50 PM
rear coil-overs, not a fan at all, the amount of stress they put on other parts of your diff and and arms is stupid
when there loading and unloading it is constantly twisting the diff straining trialing arm bushes/mounts

just because you have driven a wullah hektic 10 grand suspension job doesn't mean its going to be stiff, being stiff as fuck isnt always going to work, Solid subframe bushes??? cool
Crap damper control?? by a good set of shocks

If you want something good all round, Go shockworks yea there not the cheapest but they are going to be by far the best out of most

JJRC
25th March 2013, 11:17 PM
If you have to have a coilover in the rear. Powered by MAX does one for the AE86, surely you could adapt this to a KE70.

furstydrft
26th March 2013, 11:16 AM
rear coil-overs, not a fan at all, the amount of stress they put on other parts of your diff and and arms is stupid
when there loading and unloading it is constantly twisting the diff straining trialing arm bushes/mounts

just because you have driven a wullah hektic 10 grand suspension job doesn't mean its going to be stiff, being stiff as fuck isnt always going to work, Solid subframe bushes??? cool
Crap damper control?? by a good set of shocks

If you want something good all round, Go shockworks yea there not the cheapest but they are going to be by far the best out of most

thanks, next time lose the attitude. I purely said it because everyone would have told me "ohh its a daily why dont you just get falcon springs, that will be too stiff for the street"

Jacobxxx
26th March 2013, 11:35 AM
Hey hey hey

you started with the attitude of dont tell me rah rah rah i know best.

You've been shown two options of exactly what you want and a couple other options. Now have a look into what you need and come back if you have anymore technical questions where you'll be willing to accept constructive feedback.

Delazy
26th March 2013, 12:52 PM
Coilovers in the rear are far from the best option...I suggest further research into the topic rather than assuming what works in a Nissan will work in a corolla...

lolwat
26th March 2013, 01:00 PM
Coilovers in the rear are far from the best option...I suggest further research into the topic rather than assuming what works in a Nissan will work in a corolla...

plus 1

daltrim
26th March 2013, 09:59 PM
I have paradise racing coilovers in the back pf my ke and it is awesome, easy to install and plenty of adjustment

shift_rook
27th March 2013, 08:41 AM
Firstly you mention you know coilovers are stiffer, well they're not, whether it's a coilover or not doesn't change the spring or damping rates. Secondly there isn't enough clearance to fit a proper size damper in there with then a spring over, so manufacturers use a much narrower damper to fit it all sacrificing control. Thirdly, stiffer doesn't always mean faster, if the setup is too stiff you'll have a much earlier loss of traction. If i could supply a rear coilover that bolts in and still keep the performance there i would.

Delazy
27th March 2013, 10:50 AM
^^^ says the bloke who works in a high performance suspension related business...take his information/opinion seriously...his helping with good information rather than cashing in on's quick buck (not saying anyone here is, but generally it's the case with people offering substandard products)

JinxD
27th March 2013, 12:58 PM
Has anyone used the mcn rear Coilovers? That looked like a good bit of gear

Delazy
27th March 2013, 03:53 PM
Has anyone used the mcn rear Coilovers? That looked like a good bit of gear

I bought them and on sold them to another bloke... Build quality is quite good... Made for mcnsport by AVO with nearly identical shock specs to TRD blues. Very much the same style as the GAZ setups that are also floating around. in all honesty I would most likely still have them if I hadn't Ben convinced by the shockworks guys...of which I'm still yet to purchase lol

JinxD
27th March 2013, 04:22 PM
Oh you!

Skylar
27th March 2013, 10:24 PM
I don't like rear coilovers. I feel it loads the suspension in a way it wasn't designed to do. What I mean is the way the forces act through the diff. With the spring in stock position, the springs apply a force straight down on the diff. When you put the spring 5cm or so away from the diff centreline, you create a moment around the diff putting unneeded stress on the trailing arm bushes. It probably won't bind the suspension but it won't be the best for the suspension.

Also, there's a bit in Engineer to Win about trying to solve the axle tramp in the Formula Vee car. They found that backing off the damping (can't remember whether it was bump or rebound) helped reduce the axle tramp. They came to the conclusion that having the damper mount to the diff behind the centreline of the diff was causing the axle tramp. They changing the mounting location to on top of the diff and BOOM! no more axle tramp even with the dampers set back to normal.

Yeah, so no way I'm putting a coilover on the diff mount, even though I had the diff guy change my damper mount to take the weight of the car. Although coilover on top of the diff, I would do, if I can find a coilover short enough and the time to do it. Hopefully in a few weeks time when I put the car back on the ground and decide it's too low for daily driving, I'll buy some AJPS rear spring height adjuster things or taller springs. It's needs dampers too but I'll deal with that later.

matt99
27th March 2013, 10:55 PM
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/fo...ontact-Details
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Shockw...09202579120432

lolwat
27th March 2013, 11:19 PM
what are your thoughts if mounted coilovers on the top of the diff and made new towers in the back, nearly as high as the parcel shelf, mounted on a fair bit of an angle

Skylar
27th March 2013, 11:47 PM
It's probably a good thing? Better than making a coilover fit in stock position. Either way there's going to be a turning moment on the diff, even when mounted on top. By applying the force through a spherical bearing, the diff's tendency to rotate as the suspension moves will end up putting a turning moment on the diff, with the force of the spring. When you have a full size spring, the force is applied to both the front and rear of the spring perch and I think I prefer that.

Hard to please ain't I? Cars are all about coming up with the best compromises of performance, weight, durability, packaging and other stuff. What takes priority is up to you. I think I'll just leave the rear end as it is. Car doesn't suffer from axle tramp issues except for when it's in the wet and I'm kicking third gear going 20k's/h or rolling onto it just enough to spin the wheels but not hard enough to really let it spin. Not really things to worry about.

Has that answered your question or confused you even more?

lolwat
28th March 2013, 07:47 AM
nah perfect, cheers

Tim.duncan
28th March 2013, 08:08 AM
Some interesting points iv never considered before skylar

AJPS
28th March 2013, 09:37 AM
http://www.ajps.com.au/parts/spring_seat.php