PDA

View Full Version : advice time

scott_22
21st June 2009, 03:09 PM
so its almost tax back time. and i was thinking about going a bit silly on the rolla. here is a list of the things i am thinking of buying. i want advice on other things that i might need, things that are on the list that i dont need and alternatives that i should use.
so here is the list
ajps lock spacer $67
ajps hand break button $25
ajps tie rod ends $169
ajps traction brackets $195
Whiteline Front strut brace $209
Whiteline Swaybar 24mm front $239
Whiteline Swaybar 18mm rear $189
Lower control arm poly bushes - $33
2 x Swaybar D poly bushes - $44
2 x Swaybar link poly bushes - $44
2 x corona ball joints - $50
t3 tri bar rear 86 strut brace $99
so far thats $1363
i want front coilovers as well. but we will see how much tax i get back. everything bar the t3 thing will be coming from ajps. so lawson your input would be awsome, and if you can cut me a deal :P.
coilover brand choices and any feed back would be sweet
scott

marvis
21st June 2009, 03:18 PM
I wouldn't bother with them tie rod ends, just use RA40 ones and I also wouldn't bother with a front sway bar if it's for drifting.

Sounds good though.. But I wouldn't bother with half that stuff if you won't have coilovers.

marvis.

Jonny Rochester
21st June 2009, 03:20 PM
What you need next depends on the current condition of YOUR car, as it sits now. Not according to some catalog. Take your car to Pedders for a $14 suspension inspection, and see what they say. Only give them $14, NO MORE. Then drive away.

Unless your car is brand new, it probably has worn bushes or shocks somewhere. First thing is new bushes everywhere, replaced with polyurathane items, unless you are getting ball jointed parts. Next is good shocks, short stroke, maybe with a spacer.

Next, you cut the strut the right length for the shocks, and weld on coilover threads at the same time. Get a pair of front coilover springs.

Next is adjustable strut tops, like Cusco.

Next is some OK tyres, 185/60R14 or 195/50R15 or something like that. Potenza RE001?

Then everything on your list comes after everything above, but only after a track day or 2 and some thought.

scott_22
21st June 2009, 03:23 PM
exactly what i wanted, can you get coilovers kits for *e7* struts?
thanks

ke70dave
21st June 2009, 03:34 PM
exactly what i wanted, can you get coilovers kits for *e7* struts?
thanks

prolly, but you cant get any decent shocks for them (which is prolly mentioned about 5 times in the first page of tech questions)

i agree with mr rockster, no point buying everything in the cataloge when the fundamentals havent been dealt with (shocks and bushes)

i would also sugest against just buying everything at once, you never know what 2nd hand deals will come up, and $1300 in one shot is a bit of a waste of money, do it progressively so you can tell what each part is doing...

you havent mentioned what mods you currently have in your car.....if its stocko...then id start with springs/shocks/bushes (or coilovers/springs/shocks/bushes if you choose) . then drive it for a bit. and go from there.

scott_22
22nd June 2009, 12:16 AM
the car has 6kg rear ajps springs, kyb short stroke shocks, adjustable panhard rod, corona lcas, 6kg luvells in the front with kyb shocks. i think im gonna rebush and get coilovers first.
all questions answered.
thanks people.

Hen may possibly be a nut
22nd June 2009, 06:57 AM
The first things I'd do (you could conceivably have done them already)
- Replace all bushes, with polyurethane normally, or just rubber if you want things softer.
- Check and most likely replace balljoints, rackends and tie-rods.

Then think about extra lock (in a KE70 I assume you can fit an AE86 rack for some) and springs/shocks etc...

Hen