PDA

View Full Version : 1sz solid lifter

96sonataBro
8th May 2013, 03:25 PM
Hey all, I'm about to do the 1sz solid lifter upgrade and was just wandering if you have to change the keepers swell or can you just USSR standard/supertech keepers ? Cheers

SamsTA22
8th May 2013, 06:04 PM
Well, your not changing your retainers, or your valves. so no, the standard keepers still work.

96sonataBro
8th May 2013, 06:38 PM
Sorry about the English above I was in a rush at work. I am putting a big cam in so I will be going with supertech duel valve springs and retainers, I just assumed that they where the same basic design just stronger. I just want to be 200% sure they are compatible before I fork out :)

timbo
8th May 2013, 10:08 PM
What is the cam lift? Dual valve springs, is it a 18RG?

SamsTA22
8th May 2013, 10:27 PM
Sorry about the English above I was in a rush at work. I am putting a big cam in so I will be going with supertech duel valve springs and retainers, I just assumed that they where the same basic design just stronger. I just want to be 200% sure they are compatible before I fork out :)

Oh right. Well, the keepers hold themselves into the retainer by their taper. The bore size on the retainers shouldn't be different, which would mean they would work with standard keepers. If they are different and don't fit, you should still be able to use the standard retainers with the supertech valve springs.

96sonataBro
9th May 2013, 12:07 AM
What is the cam lift? Dual valve springs, is it a 18RG?
cam lift is 10.50/10.25, not sure what 18rg is. these are the springs

>http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Supertech-Dual-Valve-Springs-Retainers-Seats-Toyota-4AGE-16V-Corolla-AE86-Tercel-/181040490768?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a26daa910

SamsTA22 i meant to say retainer in the first post although i will probably be using the supertech keepers with the springs and retainers. Here is a link to the thread where i read something about changing the spring retainer to suit the bucket but i can seem to find any more info, if someone could clarify this for me it would be much appreciated :yeah:

>http://www.rollaclub.com/board/topic/38578-shim-under-bucket-conversion/

tottacrolla
9th May 2013, 09:30 AM
The valve adjustment is done by the thickness of the top of the followers so you will need to measure each of your current followers / shims with the cams you want to use so you can buy the correct size followers.
It is worth checking you can actually get the sizes you need before you commit.

Skylar
9th May 2013, 10:08 PM
You can always juggle the lifters around and grind the tip of the valve if you have the wrong thickness lifter. My engine builder has a bunch of shims that I swap with when I don't have the right one. Maybe your engine guy has a similar scheme?

SamsTA22
9th May 2013, 11:17 PM
SamsTA22 i meant to say retainer in the first post although i will probably be using the supertech keepers with the springs and retainers. Here is a link to the thread where i read something about changing the spring retainer to suit the bucket but i can seem to find any more info, if someone could clarify this for me it would be much appreciated :yeah:

>http://www.rollaclub.com/board/topic/38578-shim-under-bucket-conversion/

I'm guessing you're referring to the last post on that thread?
The 1sz lifters don't have removable shims. That's why you have a different part number for each size. Besides, the retainers don't hold the shim in; the shim (if you can even call it that) pushes against the valve stem.

Prime86
13th May 2013, 01:25 AM
If you go with the 1suz lifter upgrade you don't need to change your retainers, just use the standard ones there fine. I had the 1suz conversion in a small port head with big cams. You buy the lifters in the sizes you need as there shim less, no grinding or anything required just but the size you need. It wasn't a cheap conversion as the tappets are pretty pricey when you add it all up. I've since removed the tappets from my head and just have them sitting around, I have a heap of them new in bags and second hand ones also, hit me up if your interested or just want to see what they look like.

96sonataBro
14th May 2013, 10:31 PM
Cheers Brad
Im not too sure of the sizes i need yet, i don't have my new cams yet and i assume you have to re-check the clearances with a big cam? All my old buckets got mixed up as well (long story
:steamer:) so i have to figure it out the hard way. I was thinking of measuring all the buckets and finding the 8 most similar and engraving a number 1-8 (one side at a time) and what size they are, installing and measuring all the clearances and do a bit of a maths attack on it. beside being extremely thorough does anyone have any advice ?

Prime86
15th May 2013, 10:26 PM
Yeah all clearances have to be rechecked with any cam install.

It makes it hard if you have mixed all the buckets up, I guess I would start by installing the smallest shim you have in a bucket and install the cam measuring the clearance. Repeat the process with the same bucket/shim for the whole cam then measure the shims you have and arrange them according to your measurements. If you have a couple of the same shim size it would speed the process up.