PDA

View Full Version : Setting up ae86 for hillclimb

McLEVIN
6th June 2013, 10:59 PM
Ive entered my ae86 in what will be my first hillclimb. Just wanting to know the best way to get optimal performance from my stock bigport.
Ie suspension settings, wheel tire choices anything really.

I dont have a lot of money or time. So just basic things really.

To start things off I have a few sets of wheels but dont know what size to choose. Will be getting semi slicks for the wheels that will be best suited.

13x9 rear and 13x8 front unsure on tire size?

14x6.5 and 7 with ree01s 185/60r14

Or

14x7 and 7.5 unsure of a tires

Thanks

Chris

AJPS
6th June 2013, 11:02 PM
15s with 195 or 205/50 would be best - or run your 14s if you dont want to get new wheels

what springs are in it/

McLEVIN
6th June 2013, 11:29 PM
Oh yeah im running shockworks coilovers they are 6/4 I presume. By suspension I mean how firm/soft do I put them.

Not keen on 15s why not the 13s? too small

4A-GE Power
6th June 2013, 11:50 PM
Ideally you would want to have a massive play around with your shock settings (assuming the inserts are adjustable) but you probably dont have the time. So for example if the rebound is too fast your rear will lighten up and spin the wheels, maybe not so much on a hill climb, but yeh you would need a heap of time to do it, test and adjust then test again etc. 6/4 should be good for it i reckon with a stock bigport, and probably a smaller profile tyre would be better suited to a climb like a 50 over a 60

AJPS
7th June 2013, 03:44 AM
too small, not many good tyres available, too much profile - pm me if you want - but honestly get the best/softest tyres you can afford, and learn how to launch - if you dont want to go 15s at least get 195/60/14s or something

timbo
7th June 2013, 08:41 AM
I'm running 205/60's on a 13x7, still 60% profile remember. Really good grip, very stable and direct and will be better than stretching 185's over 14x7/8. I always felt that 185's are too narrow and they're totally useless on a wheel wider than 6inch's.

McLEVIN
7th June 2013, 04:48 PM
Is it worth getting a 4.7 or leave it at 4.3

AJPS
7th June 2013, 05:40 PM
for the money, no - but if you have on there

dove grey 64
7th June 2013, 06:29 PM
Hey Chris try adjusting the rear up two clicks, run fronts at zero. That's what shift rook and I run for mountain drives, having the rear slightly stiffer will promote sharper turn in.
Just try keeping your rev's up and have fun experimenting and see what driving style suits you beston the day really, take all the stuff out of your car you don't need to make it as lightweight as possible

AJPS
7th June 2013, 08:08 PM
i really feel if you are on the limit, although turn in is good, the car stepping out costs time - when you need all the power you can get to get up the hill - also on a long course like the willunga hillclimb with the open sweepers you wont want the car to feel twitchy, since its your first event, you will learn so much even after every run, nothing is wrong, everyone has their own preference but yeah see how you go with a base setting and go from there

skizzamods
7th June 2013, 08:41 PM
I use 5 and 3.5kg springs my bilsteins. When on rough roads at high speeds it really helps being soft. Something to think about in the long run. Standard swaybars, just rebushed. This is just with 4ac, will have to make changes when the beams is in and have stickier tyres I am guessing.

timbo
7th June 2013, 08:55 PM
I run 4.3 final with a semi-worked smallport and it feels great. Something to think about when you starting working the bigport and it won't seem like a bad choice.

McLEVIN
7th June 2013, 09:35 PM
I have a 7age to go in. But not enough time for this event...

Thanks for the info guys

Dave are you doing this hillclimb?

AJPS
7th June 2013, 09:56 PM
nah, i wish, i am away at the moment, missing winter cup as well, pissed off about that