PDA

View Full Version : 100kw ae93, engine light just come up?

radfab
25th June 2013, 07:51 PM
Hi ppl!

i have an ae93 seca with small port 100kw. Been a top car so far, only 10months so far but I've got a little issue. As of last night I had the engine light come up on the dash. The only physical problem I can tell so far is a slight hunting on idle. Any ideas on where to start looking?
Had a diagnostic computer today but picked up nothing. How would I go about test light and codes?

Thanks guys.

dove grey 64
25th June 2013, 09:49 PM
Prob o2 sensor, if it's like a 86 you can bridge a plug on the passenger side firewall plug to get. The error codes to flash on the cel. I think it's the green plug? Somebody else like matt can clarify this better then me sorry matty

radfab
26th June 2013, 03:46 AM
cheers jeff, ill have a play today under the bonnet and see what i can find

timbo
26th June 2013, 11:44 AM
Disconnect the battery to reset the ECU and see if there is still an issue, it might have been a one off. Bridging T and E1 at the ECU is you best bet as the check connector in the engine bay might not yield anything giving its age and condition.

Matt
26th June 2013, 03:06 PM
In the engine bay there will be a diagnostic plug box thingy. Sorry for the shitty pic, but it helps you know what you are looking for.

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/5/3/4/9/509763.jpg

Toyota refer to this as a DLC1 diagnostic mode, which is a bit hit and miss, but sometimes will give you the code.

Bridge the TE and E1 connectors with something like a paperclip and the check engine light will begin to flash. Count the consecutive flashes and write the number down, there will be a pause and another set of flashes.

02 Sensor doesn't record a code unless you throw it into diagnostic mode.

Hunting on idle is most commonly caused by air in the cooling system, remove the radiator cap, start her up and it 9x outta 10 goes away.

radfab
27th June 2013, 02:26 AM
Ok....

So far, thanks for the help boys;)

With your guidence Matt ive bridged Te and E1 and codes flashed on dash as such..

- flash flash - 1.5 secs gap - flash flash - 2.5secs gap - flash flash - 1.5secs gap - flash flash flash flash - 2.5secs gap - flash flash flash - 1.5 secs gap - flash - 4.5secs gap - repeates

As i can tell from this the codes are : 22,24,31

22-water temp sensor
24-intake air temp sensor
31-vacuum sensor to ecu

Correct me if Ive read them wrong but it makes sence. Ive removed the air box and intake piping for custom stainless induction piping and unplugged sensors. This arvo found a broken wire to green sensor on water outlet on gearbox end of the block. I will replace and fix wire to water temp sensor, think this is what caused the problem in the last two days but can the other sensors on induction I have unplugged be bridged? Or am I best fitting the sensors to the new induction piping? They have been disconnected for 2 months now and did not seem to effect it then or since.

Once I have fix these issues is it as simple as disconnecting the battrey to clear the dash light? Or will this clear only fixed by its self?

Thanks again :thumbup:

Matt
27th June 2013, 07:45 AM
Vacuume sensor to the ecu is the one most likely to be hurting you. Check the map sensor is connected and the vacume line is still connected. On the strut brace from memory near the drivers side tower.

they run best with the air intake sensor in the tubing. If you are lazy plug the sensor in and leave it in the bay

Disconnect the battery or pull the efi fuse to clear the code.

I know some of the guys will be horrified to know this but I have owned 5 ae92's over the years

radfab
27th June 2013, 07:08 PM
All sorted!! :)

It was the water temp sensor. $5 plug from wreckers fixed it. Removed EFI relay, disconnected battery and restarted car. Light gone and quick check of diagnostics indicated a fast flash saying all clear.

Thanks again for everyone's help

timbo
28th June 2013, 01:53 PM
:thumbup: