PDA

View Full Version : s13 coilovers in ke70 too rough/ understeer

Kris
7th July 2013, 03:59 PM
Hey, did a quick search on the forum and couldn't find anything.

I've been running s13 LCA's, knuckles, brakes and coilovers on my ke70 for a while now and its just too rough. I get under steer through turns even though I've got heaps of lock. I'm don't know too much about suspension set-ups, but I think the springs are too stiff because the rolla is alot lighter than a s13. I think the stiff springs also cause my understeer. Does anyone know what to do? Ive got 8kg springs at the front to swap for something lighter if that is the problem.

lolwat
7th July 2013, 04:10 PM
having heaps of lock isnt going to stop or help having under steer
what wheel alignment have you got???
S13 front end in corolla do mess up front end geometry

Still Steppin
7th July 2013, 04:31 PM
what tires are you running?...first point of call when you have an understeer problem...

8kg isnt too stiff in a corolla

Delazy
7th July 2013, 04:59 PM
Having installed s13 suspension clearly shows you have no idea about suspension...look at tyres and alignment followed by actual driving...then come back to us :)

fantapants
7th July 2013, 07:30 PM
dont be too harsh lazy....

without a lot more information, we cant help you.

this is all covered pretty well if you trawl enough through the pages of the s13 install thread in technical

Kris
7th July 2013, 09:16 PM
Delazy is right, I don't know much if if anything about suspension. Still have a few more questions though.

Why is s13 coilovers a bad idea for a ke70? Is it because of Matt's thread "S13 Suspension in an Ae86 - Bad for low impact crashes", or do they just not work well with a KE?

For an alignment are there specific specs I should be following?

And besides undsteer, why do I eat shit over every bump? Still Steppin says above that 8kg isnt too stiff. Is it something to do with the damper, or the geometry? and wouldn't softer springs help with understeer?

dove grey 64
8th July 2013, 08:28 AM
so many factors can lead to your understeering issues, what tires/wheels are you running? had an alignment? how much camber/castor/toe?
what brand of coilovers?
spring rates....some people like 8/6, personally i like 6/4.

JDMWheels
8th July 2013, 11:33 AM
Need More information as already stated.

S13 front end mucks with the Geometry in E7X / AE86.

How low is the car, what tyres / wheels, Alignment settings.

Also be interested to know if you have a Locked Diff and what tyres you are running on the rear?

Hen may possibly be a nut
8th July 2013, 11:51 AM
While it seems hating S13 setups is the current "in" thing, I doubt it is what's causing your problem.

As mentioned above, check your alignment. Checks your tyres and tyre pressure. Check if anything's loose. 8kg springs are getting quite hard in my opinion, but again shouldn't cause major problems. If you have a locked diff then understeer on turn-in is normal and you just need to drive round it.

blair
8th July 2013, 09:48 PM
fucked shocks? lolz.