PDA

View Full Version : TRD YELLOW REBUILD

lil_cons
12th July 2013, 01:33 PM
I'm sure this question has been asked somewhere along the line, but i cant seem to find it...

Would anyone be able to let me know if and where i can get a pair of TRD YELLOW (Tokico 48511-AE941) shocks rebuilt and if anyone has a rough idea on how much this may be.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Cheers,

Alex.

briigo82
12th July 2013, 01:46 PM
Im not sure that they can be rebuilt since theyre are a sealed unit, could be wrong however. Id say it would be cheaper to buy a new pair from japan then get those rebuilt.

85Kai
12th July 2013, 10:06 PM
I bought my TRDs brand new from Japan for a good price. I could check on a price for you if you like.

davidgarratt
12th July 2013, 11:58 PM
Mate try motorbike shock places , or like Matt said try and get new ones . But yeah you can get sealed shocks rebuilt if there not completely stuffed

maxhag
13th July 2013, 12:27 AM
Just tonight I just ordered a pair of brand new TRD blue adjustable rears from Japan. $385 delivered EXPRESS for the 2........ It was like $345 delivered normal post

lil_cons
13th July 2013, 09:49 AM
Yeah i was under the impression they could be rebuilt... And that is pretty Cheap new, but i got a pair for nothing and i have a pair of functioning shocks already, so figured if its a cheap enough fix it would be worth it... Is there any chance you could let me know a link for those $345 shocks JoJo?

Cheers for the reply's...

LittleRedSpirit
13th July 2013, 10:05 AM
Some power steering shops can do this, and the guy in Brisbane that rebuilds konis can as well.

I phoned them up one day and asked a million questions about what is and isn't possible when it comes to shock rebuilding. They were quite unfamiliar with trd shocks, but they knew tokico and kyb, and thought they were shit house quality. He was really negative about the quality of the old Japanese dampers.

The reason being; Konis are made to be pulled apart and rebuilt, as are Bilsteins and most high end euro shocks. Any shock except a Koni that adjusts by turning a screw on top of the chrome shaft is not going to be able to remain adjustable once rebuilt. For example my mate has some tokico illuminas that wer rebuilt and the adjuster is just gone, replaced by a tube and a screw that just closes the top off. No actual adjustment.

He thought it was likely but not 100% that the ones with the 8 way adjuster on the lower body (like my green rears) would be able to remain adjustable.

lil_cons
14th July 2013, 08:38 PM
Is there any chance I could get his contact details Matt? I'd be interested to know a rough price on a rebuild... There is also the shock doctor, has anyone dealt with him?

mcBen
16th July 2013, 11:06 PM
Anyone know about getting green rears rebuilt? Haven't found any new ones on auctions

Admiral Ackbar
27th July 2013, 02:13 PM
The reason being; Konis are made to be pulled apart and rebuilt, as are Bilsteins and most high end euro shocks.

Bilstein B6/B8 are not made to be rebuilt, like most monotube dampers. Of course they can be rebuilt but you have to weld a tab on the end of the body opposite the shaft, drill and tap a hole and install a shraeder valve. This is for pressurizing the chamber after the floating piston with nitrogen gas.

LittleRedSpirit
30th July 2013, 05:50 PM
The shop is called GSA @ slacks creek, I think its Graham Shepherd Auto or something.