PDA

View Full Version : clear defect

bazz84
12th July 2013, 06:03 PM
hi all,
I have a red sticker defected ae86 (was running open trumpets and dodgy wiring microtech)
I have bought a nicely converted small port set up (has clutch fan, stand rwd exhaust) standard airbox and exhaust
has a cut and shut plenum
JDM gearbox and jdm fuel tank and pump
was wondering if i could put this in and get it registered? or will i need it engineered?
If so any idea of cost in NSW
Or would it be cheaper to pop an 4ac in and re register

cheers

dove grey 64
12th July 2013, 06:23 PM
You could just get your current setup engineered by adding what you need and fixing up wiring etc.
Grey area on the smallport swap, I didn't have issues in Vic rego'ing mine with a bigport but others have been defected etc.
Feel like this has been covered so many times, have you checked your local NSW modification guidelines?

Jimmee1990
12th July 2013, 06:28 PM
If it's an adm car then it really depends on how picky your rego guys are. If it's factory 4age then you won't have any worries.

bazz84
12th July 2013, 06:30 PM
Adm unfortunately. I have a Jdm so worse comes to worse i can use an adapter plate and put the Jdm plenum on. Just a matter of how much to engineer/ clear defect

dove grey 64
12th July 2013, 06:34 PM
It's a good idea to find out what's needed, personally I like driving a totally legal car.

bazz84
12th July 2013, 06:42 PM
yeah i prefer legal but mainly safe. anyone who has done this and would shed some light would be much apprecaited

sundee
12th July 2013, 11:46 PM
If its a Jdm shell your 4age is fine. 4ac? Y bother?
Just fix the intake, get a plenum and air box, fix the wiring.
And your done. What were the actual defects?

bazz84
13th July 2013, 12:59 AM
The defected car is adm. With a 20v. Want to go small port and neat wiring. I have another Jdm car. I can borrow parts off to clear the defect if I can do it as a 4age

sundee
13th July 2013, 02:27 PM
You might want to double check, this BUT:
I'm sure that if the manufacturer offered another engine in the same chassis, then as long as you convert the brakes, box and diff along with the engine and emissions gear from the other chassis (Jdm) to your ADM 86 then all you need is a blue slip...

But just double check that.

You can't run the 20v , but the 16v would be fine as it came factory in the JDM 86.

dove grey 64
13th July 2013, 02:38 PM
As Joel said they did sell a very limited number of 4age sprinters here , so long as you have the equiv brakes and emissions you should pass, also cyl head changes are not illegal and seeing as it still a 4a block you can argue that too, just have the appropriate emissions gear along with it.
Could be different for NSW but in Vic I've been through all this with mini related things and had no issues with Vic roads

sundee
13th July 2013, 06:17 PM
What your 1380 with duel 45webber carbs didn't cut it?
Still an A series sir!

Even if it wasn't offered here, it was still delivered in the exact same chassis

dove grey 64
13th July 2013, 08:29 PM
What your 1380 with duel 45webber carbs didn't cut it?
Still an A series sir!

Even if it wasn't offered here, it was still delivered in the exact same chassis

Hah yeah pretty much, it's common these days to fit a BMW k1100 twin cam motor bike head with efi and quad throttles to a mini a series motor.
There is a guy getting around with a bigport 4age mated to a mini gearbox too, but now we're getting off topic

sundee
13th July 2013, 10:25 PM
Should start a new thread ;)

What's it take to put the head on?

One day I have plans to put the entire RNN14 drive line into a mini pano.

bazz84
14th July 2013, 02:58 PM
Ok so if I put the small port. With the Jdm intake plenum. Then all I need is a blue slip? (Considering it has standard loom and ecu. Standard exhaust air box brake upgrade fuel tank) ?