PDA

View Full Version : ae86 4age lacking power and bubbling/boiling noise

extra_anchovy
18th July 2013, 08:04 PM
I have a AE86 with a 4age engine from an AE82. Most parts are from the original AE86 4age engine.

It was running ok before except for a strange behavior when it would idle at around 1000rpm on start, but when driving and stopping at the lights the revs increase to 1500-1600rpm. if I tap the accelerator it goes back down to 1000-1200rpm. It has done this for as far back as I can remember. the temp sensor is always at fully cold sometimes it comes to life a raises a few bars but very very rarely.

anyway I took it to a mechanic because I replaced the thermostat but it was leaking due to not being able to find the right gasket. I told him to fix that and also the accelerator pedal was getting stuck so I told him to fix that too.

When I got the car back it was revving really loud so when I got home I checked the error codes, there was none. So I turned the idle screw till it idled at 800rpm, which was all the way as far as it would go.

Then the car ran good (except the revving thing) for a while but now it has hardly any power and is really rough. It still does the weird revving behavior and I also hear a bubbling/boiling noise after I turn off the engine. It was making the boiling noise before which is what prompted me to replace the thermostat.

How can I fix these issues and make it run good for once? I've been spending thousands over the years I had this car constantly battling to get it running good, even completely swapping the engine and many other parts.

dove grey 64
18th July 2013, 08:30 PM
When the bubbling noise occurs does the motor feel really hot? Is the bubbling coming from the overflow bottle? Sounds like your temp gauge is a dud.
If the engine overheats you'll experience a big power loss. You might have a blown head gasket, what does your fluids look like? Any mixing of water and oil?

sundee
18th July 2013, 08:55 PM
Do a comp test..
Obviously the water/coolant is rising to over 100'c/110'c
Condition/colour of water/coolant? Oil in water?
Moisture/coolant under oil cap?
It might be either air in the system or Blown HG.

Jimmee1990
18th July 2013, 09:03 PM
I would check to see if the coolant has been bled properly first, as 4ages tend not to idle very well if the coolant is flowing properly through the throttle body. The boiling bubbling noise is also common for cars where the coolant hasn't been properly bled. And let it run and check what temperate the coolant is actually getting to.

Matt
19th July 2013, 12:39 AM
Most likely air in the system. Take the radiator cap off and run for a while

SnailCale
19th July 2013, 12:47 AM
All of above is great ideas..
One thing ill add
Is instead of just taking cap off
Cut the base off or a juice/milk bottle and put the screw cap part into radiator.
Fill that with water(maybe even wrap electrical tape around screw top to make a good seal..

When the cars running in driveway it will keep it topped up and make air bubbles very visible

SnailCale
19th July 2013, 12:54 AM

I use this at work, they work really well..
A homemade setup with juice/milk bottle will do the trick

Matt
19th July 2013, 03:03 PM
Worth noting you have to have your heater on, if connected.

Hen may possibly be a nut
19th July 2013, 03:27 PM
All good ideas, but what about take it back to the mechanic and say, "there have been a bunch of new problems since you looked at my car, can you please diagnose/fix them?"

dove grey 64
19th July 2013, 10:50 PM
All good ideas, but what about take it back to the mechanic and say, "there have been a bunch of new problems since you looked at my car, can you please diagnose/fix them?"
i agree with you hen but there are times when mechanics will take you for a ride if you ask them to fix fairly basic things.
and then they drop the "well its a 30 year old car thats been modified by god knows who and etc etc".
i'd say if you paid him for a service that wasnt met then chase it up, if he gave you back your car and could not solve your issues then get a new mechanic.

Hen may possibly be a nut
20th July 2013, 12:20 PM
I totally agree that some mechanics are useless and you're best staying away. But I can't tell what the case is here. I've had some good experiences going back to places (eg wheels didn't get balanced at a tyre shop, boss was very apologetic and fixed it on the spot when I went back) and generally think it's worth trying. A half decent place will go a long way to ensure you're happy, or at least explain the situation.

Once you talk to them you'll get the idea pretty soon if it's worth pursuing.

EDIT - jsust re-read and realised I've basically repeated your post Mr Grey. I could have saved space and said "I concur".

extra_anchovy
23rd July 2013, 11:01 AM
thanks I'll try taking the radiator cap off. i'm pretty sure it's not a blown headgasket though I think the issues are electrical related. it's had the weird revving problem for ages even before I changed the engine
i also dont think the mechanic sabotaged it as It's also had these issues for ages and mechanics and electricians can never seem to diagnose it.

for example it had a flat spot for ages they could never find out the problem, recently when the alternator died and I had to replace it and that fixed the flat spot.
and I recall having to replace the alternator a couple years before that and the flat spot problem being gone for a while. also I've had to replace the temp sensor
multiple times but it seems to die after a few months of use so I stopped wasting money on replacing them. surely these things aren't meant to die so quickly there must be something electrically wrong with it.

for some reason the whole thing looks like it was wired by an amateur I'm not sure why they would have had to rewire it.
anyway what should I do? will any electrician be willing to rewire the whole thing professionally? or maybe it's the ECU.

Jimmee1990
23rd July 2013, 12:20 PM
If the wiring looks dodgy and you're having a lot of electrical issues it might be worth looking into getting the engine loom redone. Will cost less in the long run than an alternator every couple of months, as well as driving like it should.

Matt
23rd July 2013, 01:06 PM
I'd add a few earths in to start with, allot of electrical issues can be traced back to dodgey earths.

dove grey 64
23rd July 2013, 06:29 PM
Man the loom in my car was done by the previous owner who was an electrical engineer and over complicated the shit, and it hunts for idle while warming up. Worked out it had to be something with wiring because I've bled the system and changed throttle bodies 3 times and always have the same issue so I feel your pain

sundee
24th July 2013, 12:42 PM
Also - take off all the earth lugs.. Clean up the metal with some sand paper, get them all shiny again.. It's not going to fix it but average earths can cause random problems

evil86
27th February 2014, 10:14 PM
How'd you go with this problem? currently I'm experiencing the same problem. Compression test shows 130-135 in all four. I'll overhaul the water system in the coming days and I'll keep you guys posted.

Sorry if it seem like I'm intruding but it seems like your the only person online that is experiencing this problem.