PDA

View Full Version : Duke Engines - 5 cyclinder revolutionary combustion engine

Matt
25th July 2013, 09:06 AM
The crazy kiwis from across the ditch are well known for customising things, and the combustion engine is no exception to this.

Potentially compression ratios well exceeding 14:1, and really high RPM.

The video says it all, but I see enormous potential in this new engine design.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c19kn3drdFU&feature=youtu.be

drift kid
25th July 2013, 11:42 AM
WHOLY SANTA CLAUS SHIT

d1staz
25th July 2013, 12:43 PM
Damn clever kiwis. Almost seems like a rotor, piston hybrid. Wonder if any major manufacturer will pick it up?

drift kid
25th July 2013, 02:35 PM
This looks like such an ingenious idea, guna make somebody super rich if you ask me

Rice86
25th July 2013, 03:17 PM
WTF? i want one

johl
25th July 2013, 06:31 PM
I would like to know what sort of capacity it would have to be to make similar power to conventional motors or rotors

AJPS
25th July 2013, 06:42 PM
Damn clever kiwis. Almost seems like a rotor, piston hybrid. Wonder if any major manufacturer will pick it up?

not a chance in hell, at least not for a long time, if at all,

manufacturers like to refine old, proven technology

i think the idea is cool in theory, would be good to see one in a car and it is good to see people still investing in combustion engines in the era of hybrids

maybe they have big plans because it seemed from the video the cards were being kept pretty close to the chest unless the stage of development is so early they dont know some things, but surely it will make decent grunt with 14;1 compression

dove grey 64
25th July 2013, 07:48 PM
Made me think of a 6 shooter revolver for some reason

turn69up
25th July 2013, 08:55 PM
Future cop : do you know why i pulled you over?
future hoon: no sir
future cop: well i thought i heard an exhaust, you do know a combustion engine is an illigal modification dont you? Pop the hood
future hoon: yes sir i do lnow that(pops hood)
future cop: (stares at it for awhile) alright on your way
future hoon: :DD

Sam-Q
26th July 2013, 10:07 AM
this is a hybrid between the rotating design of an air con compressor and an old favorite of mine the Clifford radial engine. This later engine was developed and tested and predictibly was bought out by Ford and shelved. If this engine is worthwhile it will go the same way.

All that said it looks difficult to machine

Matt
26th July 2013, 09:36 PM
I agree... ie. hybrids where shelved for quite a few years before they came out in a mass produced car.

AJPS
26th July 2013, 10:04 PM
while manufacturers have 1000s of blocks in storage i dont see these making an appearance anytime soon unless is something really exotic

Hako
26th July 2013, 11:08 PM
If i was buying a hypercar I would want something crazy unique and cutting edge like this turning the treads. If you're laying 500 thou on a car you want some bragging rights!

Matt
27th July 2013, 01:08 AM
Maybe in kit cars / clubmans etc