PDA

View Full Version : 1984 Gold Sprinter for Sale, Adelaide, $5k

drewAE86
7th August 2013, 12:05 PM
SOLD

Hi

I'm selling my Sprinter after more than 10 years. It was a daily driver with no drifting for the first 7 years. I've been in London for the last 3 years, and I'm heading back shortly, so the car should go to someone who will use it. It was on stilts in a shed and covered while I was overseas, so hasn't seen any weather for some time.

The engine is the original 4ac, 348k on the dial. Needs a tune, and is probably due a rebuild, but runs fine and doesn't blow smoke. The fuel pump and filter were replaced a week ago, and the only thing I've noticed since I've got back is that the idle isn't smooth, and at lower RPM the engine flutters slightly. Might need new points, but I don't have the time to do any work on it while I'm in Australia. I'm assuming that whoever buys it will bin the engine shortly anyway, but it's completely driveable, and should be for some time. It currently has about 10 weeks rego (expiry 14/10/2013). The transmission, suspension, diff, clutch, brakes, and steering are all solid.

The car is in reasonable condition for its age. I bought it off a single Mum about 10 years ago, who I believe was the second owner. It was stock then and in good condition except for a few minor spots of rust. Since then, I've replaced a tie-rod end, the brake and clutch master cylinders, serviced it at reasonable intervals, and fitted a Pioneer cd player, some decent speakers all round, and a 12inch Alpine Type R sub in a good carpeted box in the boot, driven by a Rockford Fosgate amp; it's fairly small, but decent wattage, and pumps pretty hard. The power is disconnected at the moment, but if it is essential to hear it, I can get her kicking out the beats again.

The only other mods are a generic Jap strut brace, and a set of one-piece 15" FIN RACING wheels (I think they're all 6.5" wide), and about 1.5" dish on them. They need a resurfacing, but are pretty nice alternatives to the stock wheels, which I still have with rubber, on the back seat. There's dcent rubber on the FINs - Kumho and about half way through the tread. Exhaust is a fairly stock Walker unit and has nice, quiet note.

The interior is a little rough but basically complete and unmodified - cracked dash, centre console lid gone, broken clock surround, and dirty carpets. Part of the driver's seat has a small hole in it (on the edge), the rear parcel shelf has finally fallen apart, and the interior light case and switch arm plastic has broken off. Things are a bit faded, but there is nothing nasty about the interior as a whole. Some minor fixes - a repaired/replaced/covered dash, and a good clean, as well as a new parcel shelf, and it would be pretty tidy.

Exterior wise, the front left quarter panel is slightly lighter than the others - I ran into an old lady driver who stomped on her brakes for no reason going through a slip lane. It was low speed (probably below 10km/hr), and just broke a headlight, pushed the bumper in a little, and bent the front left quarter a bit, as well as a very minor ding in the bonnet. The panel beaters that repaired it didn't match the colour well, but it's only shown up over time. Rust wise, I've seen none in any of the wheel arches, and I'm fairly confident there's none there. The rear hatch is from another sprinter, as the original got too much rust in one corner and leaked a bit of water. The current one is rusty on the interior corners, but is watertight, and should do the job for the medium term. It needs a coat of paint, but other than that, looks and fits fine, including the gas struts. The locks have both been buggered by someone with a screwdriver trying to break in. The driver door lock unlocks, but won't lock with the key. It does lock from the interior, which is how I keep the car locked. The passenger side just looks bad, but works fine with the key from the outside, and mechanically from the inside. There are a couple of very minor bumps and scratches, but nothing major. The only other rust is around the fuel filler, and in the rear left quarter panel below the door latch. The latter I cut out, put anti-rust treatment on it, painted a bit and covered the small hole with heavy duty electrical tape (intending to weld in a fix shortly after, which I never got around to). It looks like it did the job, and hasn't rusted any more since, and the tape has worked a treat, but it still needs repair.

There's not much more to say about the car, considering I've said a lot already. Feel free to call on 0412 710 861 or 0412 630 327 to chat about it and ask any questions. I've driven it a bit this week, but it's been a long time since I was doing anything with her, so I'll do my best to fill anyone in, but I imagine getting a look at it is what you'd want. I'm not available much over the week as I'm spending most of it with family, but if I can be around to show anyone the car I'll be happy to oblige anyone one who wants to look at it.

I'm not up to date with prices in Aus, but I'm looking for $5K, based on what I've seen so far. Please have a look at the pics and let me know what you think. I've been as honest as I can be about the condition. I don't have the luxury to spend time with anyone who isn't genuinely interested in buying the car.

Hopefully pic links here work.

http://s1364.photobucket.com/user/drewmantell/library/

-Drew

McLEVIN
7th August 2013, 03:26 PM
good starting price. shouldn't have any problems selling it

drewAE86
7th August 2013, 07:40 PM
good starting price. shouldn't have any problems selling it

Cheers mate. Will be up on carsales and gum tree shortly. I have no idea how hard unmodified/undrifted units are to get a hold of, but I bought this one from the trader the day it was listed, and 3 people were still trying to get a look at it when I was handing over the cash. And this was back in the day when insurance companies didn't have the model on their databases.

drewAE86
12th August 2013, 01:20 PM
Dropped asking price to $4,750. Price is negotiable. Would appreciate any input as to how much people are genuinely willing to pay for fairly original Sprinters these days. Reasonable offers will be considered.

Tetsuo
13th August 2013, 03:45 AM
It's NOT a 4AGE, so has it even got rear discs and a T50 ?

skizzamods
13th August 2013, 10:15 AM

Has a t50, but drum rear.

drewAE86
13th August 2013, 11:57 AM
Has a t50, but drum rear.

Beat me to it. All Sprinters came with a t50 as standard (I don't think they ever built automatics). Same with the drums. All pretty stock but in decent condition.

slide86
13th August 2013, 03:13 PM
Beat me to it. All Sprinters came with a t50 as standard (I don't think they ever built automatics). Same with the drums. All pretty stock but in decent condition.

You could get an Auto 4age AE86.

Im considering this car, but you might not like my offer......

AJPS
13th August 2013, 11:15 PM

its an adm car mate

single cam carby, t50, s series drum

not to be confused with jdm

twin cam efi, t50, t series disc (drum and lsd variants available)

hope that helps

Tetsuo
14th August 2013, 09:55 AM
its an adm car mate

single cam carby, t50, s series drum

not to be confused with jdm

twin cam efi, t50, t series disc (drum and lsd variants available)

hope that helps

Ahhh that sucks, it's basically an AE85 then.

Does anybody know the ratio of low spec AE86's like this to high spec 4AGE/LSD/disc brakes cars sold in AUS ?

slide86
14th August 2013, 10:02 AM
Ahhh that sucks, it's basically an AE85 then.

Does anybody know the ratio of low spec AE86's like this to high spec 4AGE/LSD/disc brakes cars sold in AUS ?

100% "low spec"

dove grey 64
14th August 2013, 11:00 AM
98% low spec. There was a few gtv and coupes sold here.
tetsuo adm's are still ae86 in chassis code, just ae85 in driveline and trim spec.
avg. Price for an import is 10k plus. There are plenty of threads stating the differences, please keep this sale thread clean and on topic

drewAE86
15th August 2013, 12:50 AM
Sold. Thanks for the input.

Lexsmaz
15th August 2013, 01:43 AM
Sold. Thanks for the input. Good to hear, did you sell it to someone on here or gumtree etc, as i will be selling my ADM AE86 in the not to distant future & curious as to which site worked for you .... Regards .. Rob

drewAE86
15th August 2013, 10:22 AM
Good to hear, did you sell it to someone on here or gumtree etc, as i will be selling my ADM AE86 in the not to distant future & curious as to which site worked for you .... Regards .. Rob

Thanks mate. I think it was gumtree. But definitely do both. Good luck with the sale.
Cheers
- Drew