PDA

View Full Version : sourcing M6 spacers

Sam-Q
24th June 2009, 10:45 PM
hi guys I am looking for where I can buy metal or hard plastic spacers in thicknesses of around 2 to 3mm. The thickest steel M6 washers I can get are only the higher tensile grades, are suprisingly expensive and only come in 1.5mm thicknesses.

stylz
24th June 2009, 10:51 PM
just buy a smallish lenght of 4140 bar and make your own ones, that what i do anyways

Sam-Q
24th June 2009, 10:54 PM
already considered it, and I would use aluminium.

The catch it it would take ages on a lathe to get them all identical. Well unless I am missing something obvious which is quite likely.

stylz
24th June 2009, 11:30 PM
how many you need to make and what sizes?

Sam-Q
24th June 2009, 11:34 PM
the outside diameter is not so important, something like 16mm would like nice enough. I guess the O.D could be 12mm to possibly even 20mm.

I might want about 50 of them for now.

stylz
25th June 2009, 12:11 AM
oh fair enough, abit too much to do it all manually then :/

jaz_ae86
25th June 2009, 10:28 PM
Go to laser/water cutter and get them to cut them out of plate, you can spec plate thickness . They usually charge $80 min charge, so you'll get like 200 or some stupid number. Best to get something else cut at the same time, otherwise get them cut in various thickness.

If you have never seen alumin cut on watercutter, you will be impressed, great finish!

Jonny Rochester
25th June 2009, 10:49 PM
I was going to put my hand up to do a run on the manual lathe. Seams silly, but I can get stuff fairly consistant.

But then I see you want them 2mm thick. Just buy washers. Something from a RC hobby shop maybe. 6mm is such a common size, there must be something you can buy. Considering most cars in the world are held together with M6 bolts.

*E7*
25th June 2009, 11:13 PM
f and j bushings in ringwood may have something off the shelf.

or a bearing joint might also have something.

i can look at getting hard nylon ones for you, you can call me at work on 0428 546 177 and i'll go through what's available.

hobby shop also might be a good place to look.

=dave

can i ask intended application?

Sam-Q
25th June 2009, 11:38 PM
yeah not really worth it for a small batch like I want. I like the surface finish that water cutting gives but the joiner section wouldn't look good, as in the start and finish point

Sam-Q
25th June 2009, 11:46 PM
f and j bushings in ringwood may have something off the shelf.

or a bearing joint might also have something.

i can look at getting hard nylon ones for you, you can call me at work on 0428 546 177 and i'll go through what's available.

hobby shop also might be a good place to look.

=dave

can i ask intended application?

thanks for the tips, I will see what I can find out. Here is the application:

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/2/5/2/17175.jpg

ZZ coilpacks sit higher and I thought if I could get some spacers easy enough it would help. That is assuming I even bother with making a few of them which I must say I am pretty unsure of.

Now Jonny if that was an offer coming then thanks but I am able to do them manually when I get access to equipment once a week, I was hoping to find a $0.05 product.

Jonny Rochester
6th July 2009, 09:23 PM
I went to a hobbie shop, in the section where you buy axles and parts for RC cars. They have long carbon fibre/resin rods which are hollow. 8mm OD, 6mm ID, 1 meter long rods. $15 per meter. You could put that in the lathe and part it off for spacers. But I am told you would need high rpm and a sharp tool.

Sam-Q
6th July 2009, 11:33 PM
thats pretty interesting, thanks for the tip Jonny. Its no good to me for this aplication but I may have other uses for it.

If I was going to use my own spacers I would likely use acetal or aluminium round.

Tim.duncan
7th July 2009, 10:59 PM
what if you went and had a chat to the lecturer at your local tafe in the cnc section, might be a good prodject for a first year? just a thought

Sam-Q
8th July 2009, 08:36 AM
yeah no harm asking him I guess

takai
8th July 2009, 12:19 PM
The bolt shop i used to use in Ringwood sold 3mm M6 and M8 washers. Same application as yours but on a 16v and SR20 packs

Sam-Q
10th July 2009, 07:05 PM
thanks Chris, I will call some more bolt places then. I didnt know you used spacers for your coilpacks

takai
10th July 2009, 07:10 PM
I did, briefly. Until i ditched them as it was easier to just use aftermarket individual coils in a race application, easier to diagnose and replace.