PDA

View Full Version : Laptop bluescreen

Skylar
5th September 2013, 12:03 AM
Sounds like it's a thread that should be on overclockers or something but it is car related.

So, the vipec is now running on the engine. I had the laptop connected to the vipec running off battery sitting on the driver's side roof of the car. If I rev it to anything more than 3k, it bluescreens out. Engine stays running.

Anyone ever encountered this before and if so, what's the fix for it? Hopefully, I can borrow a laptop from somewhere and see if it's just my laptop or some other issue.

lolwat
5th September 2013, 12:16 AM
I will talk to my mate tomorrow in regards to this and see if scott at Insight has ever had these issues

Matt
5th September 2013, 02:12 PM
If you have it connected via a USB to serial adapter update your drivers for it... We use them all the time at work ( configuring routers and that) and they can cause the laptop to bluescreen with the amount of data going through it.

Reving to 3k would be sending allot more data right?

How are you connecting the laptop to the ecu? what operating system is it and that..

Skylar
5th September 2013, 02:25 PM
Nah, it's straight up USB. USB2 on the laptop side, dunno on the ECU side. Will check later.

The data it sends would be a at a constant rate, no? It's not like the laptop is doing the work, just showing what the ecu reads on its sensors and where it is on the maps.

Vipec software (VTS) is on autoconnect, COM port is on autodetect too and set at 115200 baud rate for megasquirt, haven't changed it for vipec.

Vipec firmware is latest as is VTS. Laptop is on win 7. Bought in 2011. Was cheapest laptop at jb hifi.

Nicko
5th September 2013, 03:53 PM
I would be more concerned that it would be possibly sending a USB voltage that is too high / out of range and the motherboard is about to blow a weld on the intake manifold.

Would be very easy to test with a multimeter what you're pumping through it

Failing that, test another laptop?

SamsTA22
5th September 2013, 05:51 PM
I would be more concerned that it would be possibly sending a USB voltage that is too high / out of range and the motherboard is about to blow a weld on the intake manifold.

Hahaha, awesome.

Another potential cause is the ECU and/or coils not being grounded too well. The back emf from the coil(s) could possibly travel through the grounding on the ecu up to the laptop.

Unlikely, but possible...

Edit: If it only does it with the software running, its not this. Then you should try the usual suspects (driver update / different laptop)

blair
5th September 2013, 10:43 PM
tried putting it on a pillow? make sure its not the vibration lol

Skylar
6th September 2013, 12:25 AM
Thanks duders. Got a plan of attack sorted, beginning with bolting down the earth for the coils (derrr).

Will report back with results some time.

Skylar
8th September 2013, 04:08 PM
So, what I did was, I tried to replicate the problem again.

Wouldn't do it again.

Got one stumble where the laptop disconnected from the vipec but no bluescreens. Revs out cleanly to ~5200.

I did notice, at night when it was dark that, because the coils aren't bolted down, there are little sparks between the coil body and the bolt that's going down to the head. The bolts are in the holes but not threaded down. Once I bolted front and the rear down, they disappeared on cyl 1 but were there on cyl 2 but very minor.