PDA

View Full Version : W5* Gearbox to 3S Beams Clutch Options

Clasyk
7th November 2013, 10:00 PM
CAR - '85 Celica SA63
MOTOR - 2S-C
USE -Daily
PROBLEM/QUESTION -What are my options for clutches from the W55 gearbox to the 3S BEAMS engine and flywheel?

Hi all, I am trying to gather information for my idea of putting a Beams in my SA63 Celica. I know I can use my 2S Bellhousing and W55 Gearbox with the 3S, but i'm not sure about the clutch, what are my options?
Would I just need to buy a new clutch to suit the Beams and flywheel or... please let me know, thanks!

Celica RA45
9th November 2013, 09:46 AM
beams clutch will fit the w57 box no problems ,same spline

Clasyk
9th November 2013, 10:40 AM
beams clutch will fit the w57 box no problems ,same spline
so the beams clutch should fit my W55 because all W* series have the same 21 spline?

44GTE
9th November 2013, 10:57 AM
Hi

Have All Brand NEW ORC Single Plate type with Lightened Flywheel available if interested

cheers

Clasyk
9th November 2013, 11:02 AM
Hi

Have All Brand NEW ORC Single Plate type with Lightened Flywheel available if interested

cheers
Thanks, but I havnt got to that stage of buying things yet :)

fantapants
9th November 2013, 02:25 PM
pretty sure there is a fella in kiwi land who put one in his with virtually all bolt in parts... but that was using the 6 speed box. from memory the engine mounts and even gearbox mounts worked fine...

Clasyk
9th November 2013, 05:03 PM
pretty sure there is a fella in kiwi land who put one in his with virtually all bolt in parts... but that was using the 6 speed box. from memory the engine mounts and even gearbox mounts worked fine...

Yeah, that's why im keen for this build because it's pretty much a bolt-in engine using the same engine mounts, gearbox. Still a 2L 4 cyl, but with double the factory power.

fantapants
10th November 2013, 07:46 PM
you missed the point.

use the 6 speed. using the 2s bellhousing makes for headfuckery with the oil drain on the passenger side of the block.

so for the effort and cost etc, just using the entire engine exhaust and box is the easiest option...

Clasyk
11th November 2013, 12:04 PM
you missed the point.

use the 6 speed. using the 2s bellhousing makes for headfuckery with the oil drain on the passenger side of the block.

so for the effort and cost etc, just using the entire engine exhaust and box is the easiest option...

But do you know how easily the J160 fits into a *A6* Celica? I just planned on using the existing trans because it was an option and would be the cheapest.

japlish
11th November 2013, 02:05 PM
Pity the stock beams clutch/flywheel is a dual mass setup....not good for skids....

Clasyk
11th November 2013, 03:33 PM
Pity the stock beams clutch/flywheel is a dual mass setup....not good for skids....
This is just for a daily anyway, and i'd rather stick flat to the road but skids are also good aha

fantapants
11th November 2013, 08:42 PM
But do you know how easily the J160 fits into a *A6* Celica? I just planned on using the existing trans because it was an option and would be the cheapest.

as i mentioned i am pretty sure he used the 6 speed gearbox mount and everything fitted fine. even the front half of the exhaust fitted fine.

Clasyk
11th November 2013, 08:58 PM
as i mentioned i am pretty sure he used the 6 speed gearbox mount and everything fitted fine. even the front half of the exhaust fitted fine.

Alright, thanks for that. I'll try and find out more info on this.

fantapants
12th November 2013, 07:19 PM
http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/engine-driveline-conversions/17880-my-masochist-engine-swap-3s-rwd.html

turns out it was a carina so not sure how similar, but should be relatively close???

Clasyk
12th November 2013, 08:50 PM
http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/engine-driveline-conversions/17880-my-masochist-engine-swap-3s-rwd.html

turns out it was a carina so not sure how similar, but should be relatively close???
I've found out, to install the J160, I need to make a new crossmember, elongate the stick tunnel and shorten the driveshaft