View Full Version : 4age not running right

BlueLevin
25th November 2013, 04:00 PM
Car -
AE86

motor / part in question -
4AGE 16v

problem -
Problem is the car is difficult to start, but thats because i have no cold start set up (motor had itb's on it so its all cut out, has standard manifold on for rwc)
When its started it will idle fine, however when you rev it it will bog down, backfire then struggle to rev up. The motor has been run by this ecu and have tested with another, which changed nothing.
It will rev fine if you only give it a small amount of throttle, but as soon as you give it a little too much it bogs down and backfires, then revs up.

I have tested tps, and just in case my multimeter was dodgy ive tried running it without it, all with the exact same results.
The fuel pump is operating at 40-45psi which ill put down to the cheap gauge i was using to test it, fuel pump jumps up to 100psi when the return line is blocked, so it seems the fuel pump is fine.
I have checked that the dizzy is getting spark from the coil, and that the dizzy is giving power back out to the plugs, all seems to check out
I tried adjusting the timing but bridging t and e01 didnt seem to change my timing at all, so i left it around the 15 btdc mark (Diagnostics mode was turned on as I got a code for the O2 sensor (or lack of))

Ive got another map sensor here but it uses a different plug and was hoping that i could avoid chopping plugs on and off things.

occurs/started when -
All the time! :verysad: This is the first this engine has run in this SHELL!

I got a video of it here~ http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/5/0/4/5/516026.jpg (http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g236/blade_059/IMG_5560_zps0ae1b6bc.mp4)

BlueLevin
28th November 2013, 02:10 PM
Tested earths with a multi meter, whole motor is earthed, I cleaned up the paint where my current earth straps were and got a better reading. Wired up cold start injector and temp sensor now so has all sensors except for o2.

Waiting for jumper pack and battery to charge before I give it a go.

has anyone had experience with dirty fuel and how it ran? I put 5 or so litres of 98 in (was empty) and was thinking that such a little amount of fuel and a tank that hasn't been filled for over a year might be playing tricks on me, fuel filter isn't restricting fuel though (connected pressure gauge between filter and rail)

anyone got any other ideas? 2 year build and all I need is for it to start to finally hit the roads!! ><

4A-GE Power
28th November 2013, 06:56 PM
May be a stupid question but have you sussed all of your injectors?

BlueLevin
28th November 2013, 07:45 PM
Not a stupid question by any means!! Injectors were swapped straight in from my mates running 4age as I gave him some bigger ones, so they were working right before putting them in and they were put in within 10 minutes of removing from car.

i wonder if a little bit of water has gotten into my tank and mixed with fuel

Matt
1st December 2013, 08:32 AM
Leaky caps in your ecu. If u bridge the terminals and it does nothing almost guaranteed to be your ecu

BlueLevin
1st December 2013, 07:13 PM
ah, will try bridging it with the other ecu when i get more fuel into it, run the tank too low~ definitely didnt change the timing or anything else, revved completely fine and what not with it bridged but also displayed the codes as it should

Thanks heaps for the input!! one of my problems down lol