PDA

View Full Version : 4age won't start, bad wires everywhere

BON35
29th December 2013, 06:19 PM
Car. E7 wagon
Engine. Small port 16v (unsure specific model/ecu)

Ok guys I picked this thing up yesterday. Been sitting for an extended period of time. Was told its a small port 16v. Jumped it and got it on the trailer fine, got home and couldn't get it start. Not even your typical "clicking" noise (with new battery).
So upon a further inspection and fiddle the wiring is shit. Bare wires and tape everywhere. I really have no idea where to start with this, so I took a few pics...
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/29/4a8egaja.jpg
So in this pic they look like fuses that have been blown, I can't remove them even after taking the screws out? Never seen or dealt with these before.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/29/jaheqe9a.jpg
This one shows the wires attached to the fuses? The large wire goes no where. Whereas the thin wire, after a few real dodgy joins and solders connects to this thing. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/29/atuta5az.jpg marked as regulator.

I'm not a mechanic and I'm very new to whole 4age thing. So please no useless dickhead answers. I just want to get this running. Any HELP will be greatly appreciated.

Matt
29th December 2013, 08:00 PM
Best way to get it running is to check for the basics...

Spark, Fuel and air. It will run.

Spark - Remove a lead and hold it against the cam cover and u should see it spark.
Injectors pulsing - grab a noid light and plug it into one of the injectors
Fuel - Listen for the pump to run when the engine is cranking

Your alternator doesn't look like a 4age one and you'll prob need to keep the regulator.

As you said your issue is most likely wiring related, the pics you have posted up are hard to see exactly what is what.

Easy things to check

Power at
* ecu on Batt, B+ terminals
* injectors
* coil / ignitor
* fuel pump when cranking

Check those things and let us know how you go.

Matt
29th December 2013, 08:01 PM
Sorry just re-read your post, is the starter motor even turning the engine?

If not i'd guess it could be something as simple as a dead battery / engine earths.

But that wiring should be cleaned up.

ChrisBest
29th December 2013, 08:40 PM
If you haven't already try hitting the starter motor with a hammer. If you got it to run and now it won't it could just be jammed. Don't go soft either haha

Javal
30th December 2013, 12:16 AM
If those two fuses are blown (the ones on the little fusebox on the B+ post) then you have a massive short somewhere (from all those exposed wires) that has shorted the main B+ wiring (B+ wiring has constant power and runs between battery, starter motor, alternator and the power feed to the fusebox). If those two fuses are blown, there's going to be no power to the fusebox or ANY of the vehicles electrical systems. No power to kick the starter solenoid in the guts.

Just replacing the fuses won't fix it. You need to find why they blew otherwise they'll likely blow again. Try and fix as much of the wiring as you can but you will need to start hunting down those shorts to ground.

BON35
30th December 2013, 01:20 PM
Well after running a couple new wires, replacing the little fuse box and a new battery. She starts and runs! Somewhere along the line the wire to the starter had been broken. Big thanks guys.

So here's my collection in appreciation. The wagon btw was car in question. :D
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/30/qy2y3eqe.jpg

Matt
30th December 2013, 01:34 PM
I've seen that wagon before...

BON35
30th December 2013, 02:05 PM
I think it was squish's. It's just been sitting around at my cousins waiting for time to spend on it. Gonna rip the 4ag out and stick in the white one I think.

cooter
17th January 2014, 02:36 PM
also when you redo the setup into another car do away with the 4ac alt and ext reg. theyre not really up to the task. at least use a bigport setup. easy to do as theres heaps of wiring diagrams about it.

Futo_gt86
24th January 2014, 08:03 AM
You got a thing for low roof wagon's / pano I see.
Nice!