PDA

View Full Version : Oil in spark plug wells

Lachi3r
31st March 2014, 06:44 PM
Yo doods,
so my 4age has been leaking oil like crazy lately and I discovered a shit load of oil in the spark plug well. So I managed to soak it all up. Though it might have been the valve cover gaskets but the seem fine and it's only leaking on the inside. Nothing on the outside of the block. I tightened them up anyway. I've cleaned it up and taken it for a few drives to see if it's still comin out and it is but I can't seem to find where. Anybody had the same problem? Or have any ideas??

Cheers, Lachie

Sam-Q
31st March 2014, 06:55 PM
which model 4age?

Lachi3r
31st March 2014, 07:34 PM
Bigport 16v

Sam-Q
31st March 2014, 07:45 PM
Then it's not your spark plug tube seals.

You either have a bad cam cover seal or more unlikely one of those nuts that seal against the studs is bad. Maybe your cam cover seal look alright but has a crack in it?

Lachi3r
31st March 2014, 07:55 PM
Mmm ok. Might have another closer look at it. Which nuts are you referring to?

Sam-Q
31st March 2014, 08:28 PM
the small seals under the nuts you did up to clamp it more

blair
31st March 2014, 09:22 PM
Make sure you have the correct volume of oil too.

I'm fairly certain i was having the same issues due to overfilling!

Lachi3r
1st April 2014, 08:58 AM
Yeah but there's is hardly any in there at the moment. as it keeps leaking out

timbo
1st April 2014, 01:00 PM
Cam cover seals or the washers as mentioned. Which plugs does it build up in? I have a slight oil leak at the moment, but I know its my washers as I've taken the covers off a few times and they do wear out quickly.

You could also have an uneven surface between the head and the cam cover seals causing the leak, even fine bits of gunk would allow oil to seep.

Oil will eventually move down the spark plug threads so it needs to be sorted out.

Lachi3r
1st April 2014, 09:14 PM
Where is the best place to buy new seals?

timbo
2nd April 2014, 04:34 PM
Toyota. I've got genuine washers (bought individually) and non-genuine cover seals which are ok but they're far from perfect. I overlooked genuine as money is tight but would recommend both from experience.

Sam-Q
2nd April 2014, 07:06 PM
I have been meaning to order some more genuine cover seals but didn't get around to it. I sell them for 15 each. I can get the stud/nut seals in too