PDA

View Full Version : Soft brake feel

McLEVIN
5th April 2014, 08:03 AM
Hey guys I need a bit of help with my brakes.

So I had a track day on Thursday and on the drive home the brake pedal felt soft could push it all te way to the floor and still lock up.

Its a jdm ae86 with slotted rotors and project mu pads was recently flushed with higher temp brake fluid too.

I took the pads out and rubbed them on the concrete as they were a bit noisy when pulling up it made a slight difference but not too the pedal feel.

Thanks

Chris

Matt
5th April 2014, 08:26 AM
Fluid flush was what I would have recommended but you have done that already. You could always upgrade to willwood sorry something like that.

McLEVIN
5th April 2014, 09:03 AM
Yeah I can give it another flush...see what happens.

Jimmee1990
5th April 2014, 12:01 PM
What DOT level of fluid are you using?

McLEVIN
5th April 2014, 12:22 PM
Dot 4 I presume it was the project mu brake fluid

Jimmee1990
5th April 2014, 12:44 PM
Do you know if the project MU stuff is silicone or mineral based? Silicone based fluids you generally have to change after each event or couple of events.

McLEVIN
5th April 2014, 12:53 PM
Ahh it is synthetic...im guessing that means its silicone? I will re flush it see what happens

Jim621
5th April 2014, 04:13 PM
You would have boiled your brake fluid during the trackday, which leaves bubbles in the fluid.
It will need another bleed.

Also, its not good to mix silicon based brake fluids (generally called dot 5) with mineral based fluids (dot 3, 4 or 5.1). So make sure you fully drain the silicone fluid if you are planning on changing back to the normal stuff.

Regards, Steve.

McLEVIN
5th April 2014, 04:41 PM
Thanks guys will do just that...Ill let ya know how it goes

Jim621
5th April 2014, 05:00 PM
some light reading on the different types of fluid...not very scientific, but helpful.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-parts/brakes/brake-parts/types-of-brake-fluid.htm