PDA

View Full Version : KYB AGX Camaro Shocks with AJPS Springs - Not Captive

gjgnz
7th April 2014, 10:06 AM
I’ve fitted KYB AGX Camaro shocks and uncut AJPS 4.5kg springs to the rear of my KE70 and found that the springs are a good inch or so from being captive at full droop. Car needs to pass a RWC and I wouldn’t be happy with non-captive springs anyway. This is what I was considering:

Get some poly coil spring spacers like the 4x4 guys use to lift their vehicles. I realise that will raise the car by the height of the spacer but I can live with that as its pretty low as it sits.
Use a pair of adjustable platforms like the BC ones. Same height issue and I really don’t want to spend that sort of coin just to keep the springs captive
Helper springs and adaptors. Would I be likely to find these in that diameter?

Any feedback or alternative suggestions would be appreciated.

anastasios
7th April 2014, 10:17 AM
how many times are you going to be totally airborne?

do you have the rubber gaskets that sit on top and below the spring?

gjgnz
7th April 2014, 10:25 AM
Yeah even with the isolators it's still a fair way off being captive. I realise it's not likely that they're going to fall out but I'm just not cool with the idea of them sitting loose in there. Also, I need them captive for a RWC.

Javal
7th April 2014, 11:36 AM
Have the shock mount on the diff moved down 25mm. I've had mine moved down 40mm+ to keep mine almost captive at full droop - as in they're never coming out, but there's still 10mm freedom of movement. Not enough for the spring to move over the lip on the lower spring platform. I still need a 10-15mm poly spacer (where the fuck can I get these?) to keep it firmly in place, so says the engineer.

gjgnz
7th April 2014, 12:06 PM
I still need a 10-15mm poly spacer (where the fuck can I get these?)

Energy Suspension makes them for the AE86, pretty sure they're around 10-15mm. Also pretty easy to find elsewhere online. There's a place here is Brissy called Auto and Marine Urethane which does the thicker 4x4 spacers.

Also, what spring / shock combo are you running? My 1" gap was just a rough estimate.

AJPS
7th April 2014, 12:32 PM
i can supply 3.5kg springs which are are about 20mm longer

car will sit a little bit higher

Javal
7th April 2014, 12:50 PM
Energy Suspension makes them for the AE86, pretty sure they're around 10-15mm. Also pretty easy to find elsewhere online. There's a place here is Brissy called Auto and Marine Urethane which does the thicker 4x4 spacers.

Also, what spring / shock combo are you running? My 1" gap was just a rough estimate.

Good question, i've got 3.5kg/mm springs, fuck knows what freeheight as they've been re-set about three times. Estimated to be about 280mm free. KYB excel-G short strokes in the back. My car is not an xE7x / AE86 though so it's probably a bit different. Relocated shock mounts are a good way to do it as you keep your ride height but actually set your shock in a good position.