PDA

View Full Version : need some 20v engine advice!!

thooomas
16th June 2014, 11:16 PM
hey guys, I'm building a 20v silver top and just in need of some advice.
id like to run 272 cams but just wondering what else i would have to do with this mod, spring ect?? where is a good place to get them from?
also if anyone knows a good place to get some head work done around the western sydney area that would be great!?
if there is anything else i should know or i need to do please let me know!! haha

thanks heaps!

Sam-Q
16th June 2014, 11:47 PM
I have a cheap set of Supertech on the shelf. If you are interested then send me a a PM.

For the cams it can be hard to impossible to know in advance if some cam grinds are truely dialed up right to work well with the VVT pulley. Seeing that you can't adjust a VVT pulley this is quite an issue. There is only one on the market that I know for sure is and that's the Tomei Poncams:

http://www.perfectrun.jp/src/detail.php?pid=40011&pname=CAMSHAFT%20%22PONCAM%22&maker=TOMEI&maker_id=40&result_mode=qui&cbid=100&carid=100023_10006

This ones a little sedate in the profile but it's proven to work ideal with a normal VVT pulley and not loose power anywhere.

Getting head work done might not be the right choice. Easy to go backwards on a 20V, if someone ports it and is used to V8's they could potentially stuff things right up.

Which ECU are you going to run?

thooomas
18th June 2014, 07:59 PM
oh cheers man appreciate it! might do that.
yeah I've read a bit about tomei cams and why to use them, you wouldn't know the cheapest place to get them from would you? as they are a bit pricey but i guess you get what your paying for..
ok so i should try and fine a person that is experienced with 4age or are you saying not to do head work?
about the ecu.. have not really researched it to be honest.. would you recommend any?

Sam-Q
18th June 2014, 09:20 PM
Yep, the cheapest place is the one in the link, works out to be about just over $700 shipped in AU. Which would make them a pretty cheap set compared to other options.

I am saying that there are not big gains from porting a head so it's poor value vs gain. Match porting is easy though and shouldn't cost much at all.

A TRD gasket is also good value for money, I here these in stock if you wanted one or elsewhere as many places sell them.

Adaptronic is a proven ECU with good support but just about any of them can run a 20V which makes a good tuner is the more important choice. Wolf 3D has a bad rep though.

What do you have for an intake?

Jimmee1990
18th June 2014, 11:21 PM
I have to disagree about porting Sam, in my experience there is a lot of flow to be had by porting and even decent power gains when combined with just a TRD head gasket for some extra compression and some mild cams like the Poncams for both S/T and B/T heads. For someone that knows exactly what needs to be done it isn't a particularly time consuming job.

Worth noting is that 4AGE heads are pretty sensitive to port shapes, volume and seat shapes, 20v's even more so and the slightest mistake will be very detrimental to the port as a whole. I would suggest if you do get the head ported that they can show you back to back results on a flowbench, anyone that tries to convince you this isn't necessary probably doesn't have the skills to do it properly.

thooomas
18th June 2014, 11:59 PM
so that $700 includes intake and exhaust…?! if so thats great but yeah..

yeah i may just get the head fully serviced, valve guides cleaned ect.

ill probably get a trd gasket in the coming week for sure. I've had a look on your page, i will purchase lots of goodies soon! haha

ohk thats good to know! thank you. I'm going to run trumpets btw.

thooomas
19th June 2014, 12:08 AM
thanks for the advice jimmee! not going to jump into straight away as I'm not in any rush..kinda… haha just trying to gain as much advice from everyone and get some experience, I'm semi new to all this so yeah, appreciate guys!! :)

will need to find someone that knows there shit about 4ages in sydney!