PDA

View Full Version : WTB URGENT: Speedo drive gear

buckas
28th June 2014, 04:51 PM
Mine has seized. Replacement from Toyota can't be brought in under 4-6 weeks and engineering for my defect may have expired by then.

The one that came out was 19 tooth. Looking for either a replacement or any one which will fit with a 5 tooth worm gear, will have to correct it once its fixed to account for 4.77s anyway.

PM or 0422075234

Thanks,
Dan.

LittleRedSpirit
28th June 2014, 04:56 PM
I have a couple of spares I can check them for you.

buckas
28th June 2014, 05:06 PM
Legend thanks mate.

From what I can understand from searching through previous people's problems, a 22 tooth driven gear which would mate to the 5 tooth worm gear would make my speedo accurate. But the 19 tooth will just get it to work again and I can get a corrector made up from castlemaine rod shop. But I'm going for an inspection on Friday so if the heavens align and I don't need to get another extension it'd be awesome.

So if anyone has a 22 tooth to suit the 5 tooth gear I'm extra keen

buckas
1st July 2014, 01:51 PM
Bump does anyone have one at all? I've chased up a few T50s on gumtree and locally but they're all to suit the 6 tooth gear in the gearbox. I can get a brand new one from Japan to replace if anyone has a spare gearbox that won't be used in the next 6 weeks or so, I just can't wait that long because my defect would've expired again.

cbjaust
1st July 2014, 05:50 PM
I might have something, but as far as I know the ADM gearing with 3.909 diff had a 20 tooth driven gear which mated to a 6T worm drive gear in the gearbox and the standard JDM with the 4.3 rear end had a 22 tooth driven gear, again with a 6T worm drive gear. I had the same problem with a 4.556 diff ratio which i calculated would need a 23 tooth driven gear but I never resolved weather I would need a 6T worm drive or a 5T worm drive.

buckas
1st July 2014, 07:25 PM
Appreciate you looking thanks mate. Seems like I've got people all across the country pulling gearboxes apart :p Even the ta22 T50s ive tried for on gumtree all have the bloody 6 tooth worm gear. Why can't they all be the same with adapters outside the gearbox

cbjaust
1st July 2014, 11:34 PM
Have you pulled the driven gear sub assembly (33404 SLEEVE SUB-ASSY, SPEEDOMETER SHAFT (MTM)) (https://partsouq.com/en/catalog/toyota/part?catalog=EU&model_code=AE86R-ECMQF&group=3304) out of the gearbox? What car/gearbox is it from? What tyre size are you running? I guess if the driven gear has seized inside the sleeve that you'd have flat spot on the plastic gear where the drive gear has worn it down. The driven gear comes out of the sleeve once the clip is taken off.

I have here a 19 5 gear which I got to try out in my gearbox but didn't work with my N=6 drive gear - there is a wear path around the gear but I think it would be fine when run with the correct drive gear (N=5). Also I have the above linked part complete with a worn 22 6 drive gear:

(click for larger)

Anyway that's what I have. I was originally trying to work out how to correct my speedo reading which was about 17% high due to running a 4.556 final gear ratio with and ADM T50 on 185/60R14 tyres.

buckas
2nd July 2014, 12:10 AM
Yeh it seized in its housing and wore the tooth flat.

My tyres are 185 60 14. Diff is TRD 4.77. I have no idea what model the gearbox is from because it was in it when I bought it (car is an ae85 so it never had a T50 to start). The TA22 celicas also ran the T50 and apparently the 19 tooth was pretty common.

I've just now stumbled across this:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/T50-SPEEDO-GEAR-AE86-TRUENO-COROLLA-GTS-LEVIN-4AGE-/351055150676?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item51bc847e54

From the US where it seems they had different ratios. So I may just run with this and my speedo will be well out as usual but then the plan was to get one of the castlemaine rod shop converters made to correct it to perfect

http://www.rodshop.com.au/order_forms/SPEEDO_CORRECTOR_ORDER_FORM.pdf

I've got one last local lead where he has multiple gearboxes and he's ripping them out to find out. So hopefully he has one otherwise I may just order a new one from the US. At least it won't be 4-6 weeks to get here

cbjaust
2nd July 2014, 02:24 AM
So you can't get it out of the housing eh?

Yeah I think the variation is in the OEM tyres and the 4.3 diff ratio, the 19/5 combination with 185/60R14 is just about spot on with the speedo reading slightly under (104km/h indicated for 104km/h real). With the 20/6 combination its pretty spot on with the 3.909 diff.

For your purposes with a 4.778 diff ratio the 19/5 is still a fair bit out (95km/h real vs 104km/h indicated) but if you ran tyres with the same circumference that 185/70R13 have it would be better. The combos I know of are (in order of highest indicated speed to lowest) 20/6, 21/6, 22/6, 19/5. The next logical one would be 24/6 or 20/5 which are the same ratio and that would be pretty much spot on but I've not heard of it. I have a part number for the Toyota T series 4.778 diff (41201-29637) and looking it up on ToyoDIY brings up the lightace/townace (http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_J_198610_TOYOTA_LITEACE+TRUCK_CM60-TBQDS3_3304.html) of some description and it doesn't list a drive gear but it does list a 23/6 driven gear but the part number 33482-29095 is a different pattern to the AE86 parts (33403-19135 for the 19/5 driven gear) so maybe the gear would fit but the shaft is different, it's hard to tell what gearbox the liteace has...

In any case I bought my 19/5 gear from Toyota a few years ago now, if you want it let me know.

buckas
2nd July 2014, 10:24 PM
Nah i'm all good I've ordered the one from the states thanks though. It shouldn't take long to get here at all and at least I know it'll work and hasn't been eaten up haha. ATM I couldn't get it out of the housing. I've been told it will come out and I can clean the housing up but if not I've found someone local with a spare. My speedo was well out with the current set up, a good 20km/h or so. It needs to be within 10% for engineering so I'll just get the converter made up and get it spot on. I just hope it doesnt take too long for the drive to get here and then the converter made up

LittleRedSpirit
13th August 2014, 11:30 PM
Ive just found my spares finally. I have a 19 tooth and a 21 tooth gear.